Router Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Since I changed from Win 98 to Win XP, I have not been to get my
    network
    working.

    I have a Netgear RT 314 router. The only downloadable driver that
    Netgear has is in the form of a bin file and I franly don't know what
    to do with it.

    With Win 98 all I had to do was follow the network setup dialog and
    everything worked.

    The router does fine sending a cable signal to 3 ifferent computers
    however the 3 computers do not recognize one another?

    Any troubleshooting suggestions?

    Thanks

    James

    James, Nov 14, 2003

  2. James

    PPH Guest

    The bin file is a bios update for the router.

    Can you ping all the computers? If so, then try to ping each computer by
    name. If that does not work. Then go into the following folder:

    wiint\system32\drivers\etc

    Edit the lmhost file (not the lmhost.sam)
    put the IP address for each computer followed by the computer name.

    When finished, copy this file to each computer.

    PPH, Nov 14, 2003

  3. James

    Thor Guest

    make sure you don't have the WinXP built-in software firewall active. Go to
    your network connection properties, click advanced, and disable the
    firewall.

    Thor, Nov 14, 2003
  4. James

    James Guest

    Can you walk me through that proceedure? I do not know what it means
    to ping a computer nor do I know where to find the IP address.

    Thanks

    James

    "PPH" <> wrote in news:vra404fp3nc984
    @corp.supernews.com:

    James, Nov 14, 2003
  5. James

    James Guest

    Thanks

    I got it working

    James

    James, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Ping is a program (DOS, AFAIK) that does a simple test of the connection
    between two computers. To use it, go to the command prompt & type in
    ping followed by the IP address or name of the computer you're trying to
    reach. Ping will send a signal out to that address. If the other
    computer is not blocking it then it will reply when it hears the ping.
    Your computer will then report whether or not the other computer replied
    & how long it took which gives you an idea of how good the connection is
    between them. The lmhosts file (except I thought it was simply hosts-but
    maybe it's different for XP) simply assigns a name to an IP address (or
    vice versa-I've used it to 'reroute' a name to a local address, thus
    blocking communication with the remote PC using that name) much like the
    DNS service does. If the computer you're trying to reach doesn't have a
    name in either DNS or lmhosts then you'll need to use its IP address
    when you ping it.

    There are various ways of setting IP addresses-the most common is to use
    a DHCP client (built into Windows). You really can't assign a name that
    way though because IP addresses assigned via DHCP are dynamic-they
    change from time to time. To assign a fixed IP address in XP (IIRC-I'm
    not on an XP machine right now) you edit the Local Connection
    properties. Select TCP/IP properties, click 'Use this address' or
    something like that & then enter the address you want that PC to use.
    Make sure it's valid-either an internal address in the range supported
    by your router or an external address assigned by your ISP.

    To find out your current IP address, whether it's fixed or dynamic, run
    ipconfig in a DOS box. (If you run it via RUN it works fine but
    disappears before you have a chance to read the information it
    displays.) You might need to add the /all switch-I don't remember
    exactly whether your IP address is considered part of the basic
    information or advanced.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 15, 2003
  7. James

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in news:vrd0kmke27i201
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > The lmhosts file (except I thought it was simply hosts-but
    > maybe it's different for XP) simply assigns a name to an IP address

    lmhosts is not the same as hosts (CL is a moron still).

    The format of hosts is:
    IP address<tab> Name
    ex:
    192.168.0.2 router