    The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
    Any ideas?

    TIA
    John Williams, Feb 21, 2004

  2. John Williams

    eric_seal Guest

    Hi John,

    Do you mean that the router wont pick up the ADSL connection? I am assuming
    so...

    I assume that you can ping the router from the computer and that it is the
    ADSL link that is causing problems. I also assume that you have the router
    address set up as the routing address on the computer. and that any/all
    firewalls are set up to allow a trusted path between computer and router.

    If this is the case, then I suggest that you unplug all the other telephones
    and their microfilters from any telephone sockets so that you just have the
    one microfilter connected to the router. Reduce the length of line between
    the microfilter and router to as short as is practical - certainly dont use
    any extension cables.

    If that doesn't work, come back.

    Eric

    "John Williams" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
    > OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
    > I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
    > tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
    > The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA

    ---
    eric_seal, Feb 21, 2004

  3. John Williams

    JabberSmith Guest

    > I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
    > OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
    > I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
    > tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
    > The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA

    Do this:

    - Make sure the router DHCP settings are the same as your computer.

    - If the above does not work, hook up your computer, get online, then use
    your network properties (via ipconfig) in the router. See if it works
    then.

    - Find out if your ISP needs the MAC address. If so, call em and tell em the
    one for the router, or some routers allow you to clone a MAC address.

    - Turn all your stuff off, un-plug. Then, in this order, plug in and power
    on: Cable or DSL modem, Router, Computer.

    - Turn off your modem, unplug it from power. Sleep. In the morning, plug
    it back in. Sometimes (especially on DSL) the ARP table will cache (the
    thing on the other end that controls your traffic) and you have to wait for
    at least one refresh cycle. (Typically 20 minutes to 2 hours long). You
    might not be waiting long enough.
    JabberSmith, Feb 21, 2004
  4. John Williams

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:04:16 -0000, eric_seal wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >Do you mean that the router wont pick up the ADSL connection? I am assuming
    >so...

    OP said NTL broadband, AFAIK it's still cable rather than xDSL as OP
    also mentioned Ethernet card.

    >I assume that you can ping the router from the computer and that it is the
    >ADSL link that is causing problems. I also assume that you have the router

    <snip>

    >Eric
    >

    >"John Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
    >> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
    >> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
    >> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
    >> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
    >> Any ideas?

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Feb 21, 2004
  5. John Williams

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:50:46 -0000, "John Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
    >OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.

    How do you know the router isn't picking up the internet connection?
    Be specific.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 21, 2004

    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004
  7. John Williams

    Sheep-Raper Guest

    2 things, depending on who your internet provider is you might have to
    make the router clone the MAc address of your modem, not all ISP's
    requier this. if it is this then there will be a button for it
    somewhere i nthe setup. Also make sure the router is set to
    automatically get an ipr from the internet service provider.

    Sheep-Raper, Feb 21, 2004
  8. John Williams

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:50:46 -0000, John Williams wrote:

    >I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
    >OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
    >I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
    >tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.

    <snip>

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.helmig.com/
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/techsupp.html
    http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_networking.asp
    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

    Me
    why?, Feb 21, 2004
  9. On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:28:08 -0600, "JabberSmith"
    <> wrote:

    >> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card

    The above sentence sounds a bit confusing to a point. From what he's
    saying, he's got either a USB Modem or Cable Modem/DSL modem that
    plugs into the computer via Eithernet to a eithernet card, then
    plugging the computer into the router via a second eithernet card.
    Why, if there's a router envolved bother using this configuration,
    unless the modem is a USB only?

    >> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.

    Why would it, if its going to the computer's NIC directly, your going
    to have to bridge the connection between the two NIC's and then pass
    the computer to the WAN port, before the router recognizes it. Even
    then, the other poster who said "How do you know it isn't picking it
    up" has a point....

    >> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
    >> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
    >> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
    >> Any ideas?

    Interesting, I've never seen a cable or DSL company that recommended
    going first to the computer, then having the computer feed the router
    the internet access.... What type of monkeys did you say worked at
    their tech. support staff?
    John H. Guillory, Feb 22, 2004
  10. John Williams

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:37:45 -0600, John H. Guillory
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:28:08 -0600, "JabberSmith"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card

    >The above sentence sounds a bit confusing to a point. From what he's
    >saying, he's got either a USB Modem or Cable Modem/DSL modem that
    >plugs into the computer via Eithernet to a eithernet card, then
    >plugging the computer into the router via a second eithernet card.
    >Why, if there's a router envolved bother using this configuration,
    >unless the modem is a USB only?

    One could wish the OP would post back to clarify things. :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    (I figured the OP meant the broadband connection worked when s/he
    tried it plugged straight in to the computer, but not when plugged
    into the router. At least then the mystery would be "Why doesn't it
    work", not "Why do you have such a bizarre network?")
    Dan Shea, Feb 22, 2004
  11. Sorry for the confusion

    I have a cable modem supplied by NTL and a 150kb broadband service from
    them. I can connect to the PC either by USB or ethernet. I used to use USB.
    Now I use ethernet so that I can share the connection with other PC's etc. I
    only have one ethernet card in each PC, and I haven't connected any other
    PC's to the network yet because I can't get the first PC to work yet.

    The router doesn't have modem capabilities, hence using the modem also. The
    manual from Netgear says to connect the PC to the router and the router to
    the modem. When I rang NTL tech support they told me the same.

    I know it's not picking up the internet connection because the internet
    light on the router is not on, I can't access any websites and I can't
    access email or newsgroups. I have to connect the modem back to the PC
    directly and reboot everything in order to do that.

    Yesterday I connected everything thing up as manual said and got an ip
    address for the PC of 192.168.0.2 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 which
    I presume is the router.
    I was able to ping 192.168.0.1 and also get to it via http://192.168.0.1
    through IE.

    This is as far as I can get. It seems that the PC, modem and router are
    conncted properly but I just can't get any further.

    I've done the turn everything off, unplug it, wait for a bit, I waited all
    night last night, powered up the modem, waited for the SYNC and RDY lights
    to stay on, powered up the router, then the PC and still nothing.

    Does that help.

    John Williams, Feb 22, 2004
  12. John Williams

    eric_seal Guest

    Hi John,

    Thanks for the clarification!

    Your LAN looks as if it is working ok. So the problem is either in the
    router configuration or in its link to the modem.

    Firstly, are you sure that the cable from the WAN port of the router is
    correct? Your problem could be as simple as needing a xover cable.. Do you
    get a port LED lit on the WAN port and on the modem (if LEDS are fitted...)?

    eric_seal, Feb 22, 2004
  13. Hi Eric

    When I connect as per the manual, on the router, there is a power light and
    a light to show that port number one is connected to the PC.

    There is supposed to be light to show that the internet is present but that
    has never lit up yet.

    The cable from the modem to the router is the one I used when I connected
    the modem directly to the NIC, so I know that's OK. The cable from the
    router to the PC is the one supplied with the router. The manual says to use
    it. The manual calls it a Ethernet Patch Cable.

    TIA

    John

    John Williams, Feb 22, 2004
  14. John Williams

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:54:01 -0000, "John Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry for the confusion

    No problem; thanks for the clarification. :)

    >I have a cable modem supplied by NTL and a 150kb broadband service from
    >them. I can connect to the PC either by USB or ethernet. I used to use USB.
    >Now I use ethernet so that I can share the connection with other PC's etc. I
    >only have one ethernet card in each PC, and I haven't connected any other
    >PC's to the network yet because I can't get the first PC to work yet.
    >
    >The router doesn't have modem capabilities, hence using the modem also. The
    >manual from Netgear says to connect the PC to the router and the router to
    >the modem. When I rang NTL tech support they told me the same.
    >
    >I know it's not picking up the internet connection because the internet
    >light on the router is not on, I can't access any websites and I can't
    >access email or newsgroups. I have to connect the modem back to the PC
    >directly and reboot everything in order to do that.

    OK. So we know the cable modem works when hooked directly in to your
    PC. (Just as an aside: you probably don't have to reboot in order to
    get the internet happening on the PC. You could just release/renew
    your IP address.)

    >Yesterday I connected everything thing up as manual said and got an ip
    >address for the PC of 192.168.0.2 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 which
    >I presume is the router.
    >I was able to ping 192.168.0.1 and also get to it via http://192.168.0.1
    >through IE.

    Good... You know the LAN is working.

    >This is as far as I can get. It seems that the PC, modem and router are
    >conncted properly but I just can't get any further.

    Not so the router. If you don't get the "Internet" light on your
    router, you don't have it connected properly. Or it's broken. Does
    the router require a crossover cable between it and the modem? Are
    you sure you're plugged in to the "WAN" port (or whatever it's called
    on your model)?

    >I've done the turn everything off, unplug it, wait for a bit, I waited all
    >night last night, powered up the modem, waited for the SYNC and RDY lights
    >to stay on, powered up the router, then the PC and still nothing.
    >
    >Does that help.

    Much.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 22, 2004
  15. Hi Dan

    Thanks for the reply.

    I don't know if it requires a xover cable between router and modem. The
    manual says use the one supplied with modem which I am doing.
    And the leads are def. in the correct ports so I don't know where to go from
    here!

    John

    John Williams, Feb 22, 2004
  16. John Williams

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:18:35 -0000, "John Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Dan
    >
    >Thanks for the reply.
    >
    >I don't know if it requires a xover cable between router and modem. The
    >manual says use the one supplied with modem which I am doing.
    >And the leads are def. in the correct ports so I don't know where to go from
    >here!

    What model is your router? I know some Netgear routers will
    auto-sense the cable type and respond accordingly, so you prollly
    don't need a crossover cable. I'm starting to suspect faulty
    equipment. I would be tempted to try plugging in from your computer to
    the WAN port. It won't get you on the internet, but it might help to
    idenfity if the WAN port is working. Again, depending on your model,
    you mght need an xover cable.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 22, 2004
  17. John Williams

    eric_seal Guest

    I was going to suggest just try a xover cable....

    I have, over the years, plugged the wrong UTP cable type in. And nothing has
    ever blown up.. Putting the right cable in fixed things..

    But if anyone knows any better .i.e. that plugging the wrong cable in can
    damage stuff, please say...I could just have been very lucky all those
    times...

    "Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:18:35 -0000, "John Williams"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Dan
    > >
    > >Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > >I don't know if it requires a xover cable between router and modem. The
    > >manual says use the one supplied with modem which I am doing.
    > >And the leads are def. in the correct ports so I don't know where to go

    from
    > >here!

    > What model is your router? I know some Netgear routers will
    > auto-sense the cable type and respond accordingly, so you prollly
    > don't need a crossover cable. I'm starting to suspect faulty
    > equipment. I would be tempted to try plugging in from your computer to
    > the WAN port. It won't get you on the internet, but it might help to
    > idenfity if the WAN port is working. Again, depending on your model,
    > you mght need an xover cable.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dan

    ---
    eric_seal, Feb 22, 2004
  18. John Williams

    eric_seal Guest

    If the UTP cable supplied with the router can be used to connect the router
    to the PC then it very possibly is not suitable to connect the WAN port on
    the router to the modem.

> [...]

    > > > directly and reboot everything in order to do that.
    > > >
    > > > Yesterday I connected everything thing up as manual said and got an ip
    > > > address for the PC of 192.168.0.2 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1

    > > which
    > > > I presume is the router.
    > > > I was able to ping 192.168.0.1 and also get to it via

    http://192.168.0.1
    > > > through IE.
    > > >
    > > > This is as far as I can get. It seems that the PC, modem and router

    are
    > > > conncted properly but I just can't get any further.
    > > >
    > > > I've done the turn everything off, unplug it, wait for a bit, I waited

    > all
    > > > night last night, powered up the modem, waited for the SYNC and RDY

    > lights
    > > > to stay on, powered up the router, then the PC and still nothing.

    ---
    eric_seal, Feb 22, 2004
  19. John Williams

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:11:04 -0000, "eric_seal" <>
    wrote:

    >I was going to suggest just try a xover cable....
    >
    >I have, over the years, plugged the wrong UTP cable type in. And nothing has
    >ever blown up.. Putting the right cable in fixed things..
    >
    >But if anyone knows any better .i.e. that plugging the wrong cable in can
    >damage stuff, please say...I could just have been very lucky all those
    >times...

    It shouldn't physically damage anything. What's more, it might work:
    a lot of devices that used to require xover cables are now using
    autosensing ports and will adjust themselves to work with whatever you
    plug into them.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 22, 2004
  20. Hi guys

    The cable that came with the router is a standard cat5 patch cable. I know
    that because I'm using it now connected directly to my PC.

    I'll try and get hold of a patch cable on Monday and I'll let you know what
    happens.

    Thanks for all your help so far.

    John

    John Williams, Feb 22, 2004