    To compare a router that uses 3.3V and one that uses 12V. Does this mean
    that the 12V one can give stronger signal and support more wireless clients?

    Tks.
    ML, Jul 5, 2008

  2. Hi
    The DC power supply voltage has noting to do with the RF output.
    The RF output is rated in mW (milliWatts). The typical RF output of almost
    all the Entry Level Wireless Devices is about 33mW regardless of their power
    supply rating.
    There are more expensive devices that are rated as High Power, and provide
    up to 100mW.
    Number of clients has to do more with the Bandwidth than the power.
    May be this can further help.
    ..Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Network Bandwidth (Speed) - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    How many concurrent users can surf the Internet through the same Wireless
    Connection - http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wconcurrent
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 5, 2008

  3. ML

    ML Guest

    Hello

    So it is okay to attach a 5dBi antenna to this router that uses 3.3V?
    Would the router able to support it since it is using such low power
    consumption?
    I need to confirm this with the experts.

    Tks.

    ML, Jul 6, 2008
  4. Hi
    Yeah, it very good idea to attach better Antenna.
    3.3V is the voltage Not the power. The power is W = I X V (Watt= 1A x
    1Volt).
    An electrical device that uses 3.3V and source 1 A provides Power of
    3.3Watts.
    An electrical device that uses 6.6V and source .5 A provides Power of
    3.3Watts.
    I.e. Different Voltage, but both devices provide the same power. The choice
    of the Voltage is a design choice and Not a direct issue of Power.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 6, 2008
  5. ML

    w_tom Guest

    On Jul 5, 10:52 pm, ML <> wrote:
    > So it is okay to attach a 5dBi antenna to this router that uses 3.3V?
    > Would the router able to support it since it is using such low power
    > consumption?

    RF output power does not change with the antenna. That antenna
    would direct more power in one direction - less power in another
    direction.
    w_tom, Jul 7, 2008
  6. Output power is regulated by the FCC in the US. I'm sure there are other
    "entities" that regulate them in other countries.

    The "gain" of an antenna is the ability of the antenna itself to improve
    efficiency all by itself with the existing power it is already given.
    Yes,..you can use the antenna, but as some others have mentioned it may be
    "directional".

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com