    Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
    From: "JJonson" <>
    Subject: Router port timed access?
    Sender: (Boeing NNTP News Access)
    Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:36:03 GMT

    I have a Linksys BEFSR router.
    Is there an application that will selectily block ports or MAC address over
    defined time windows?

    This is to help control WWW access to kids PC after hours vs manually
    pulling the plug.

    any thoughts?

    JJonson, May 2, 2005

  2. I suggest a freeware version of Kiwi Cat Tools (
    www.kiwisyslog.com/cattools2.htm )
    unless you want to write your own little Visual Basic app
    you can use Kiwi cat Tools to write some automated router commands like for
    example
    assigning an access-list to an interface at a given time

    I have used this approach on my own router here too, but also writing a
    small and easy VB app.
    Let us know if u need help

    Igor Z \(cci holdings\), May 5, 2005

  3. JJonson

    JJonson Guest

    thank you. I swapped out router to a Linksys BEFSRX41. Its the VPN version
    of the BEFSR41 (that I have) and it comes with a feature set that lets me
    block WWW access by MAC or many other criteria and set to a time window for
    any or all days of week. Seems to be doing the trick and has reasonable
    capability probably well beyond what I can understand.

    I wouldnt mind for example, to block WWW access to a particular PC but still
    allow a FTP download to occur for big files that he starts before the 10pm
    curfue.

    JJonson, May 5, 2005