    to the router.

    TIA

    akiwi

    Graeme Prentice, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Graeme Prentice

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Graeme Prentice <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
    > to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards.

    This type of cable is called a cross over cable. What you need is a normal
    ethernet patch cable.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 14, 2005

  3. On 14 Aug 2005 22:09:39 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    >Graeme Prentice <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
    >> to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards.

    >This type of cable is called a cross over cable. What you need is a normal
    >ethernet patch cable.

    I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
    router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
    through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
    handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.

    Graeme

    Graeme Prentice, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Graeme Prentice

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:16:27 +1200, Graeme Prentice <> wrote:

    >Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
    >getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
    >router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
    >blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
    >to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
    >going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
    >"crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
    >to the router.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >akiwi

    A Router will not Fix your Problem..

    Tony, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Graeme Prentice

    shannon Guest

    Graeme Prentice wrote:
    > On 14 Aug 2005 22:09:39 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >

    >>Graeme Prentice <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
    >>>to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards.

    >>This type of cable is called a cross over cable. What you need is a normal
    >>ethernet patch cable.

    > I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
    > router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
    > through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
    > handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.
    >
    > Graeme

    Correct
    You don't need any special cables

    You connect from your PC ethernet card to one of the routers four LAN
    socket, then type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser to reach the
    setup page.
    The WAN socket connects to your internet connection.
    The WAN connennection won't work until you have given it the IP address
    info for your internet connection in the router setup page in your browser.

    shannon, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Graeme Prentice

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Graeme Prentice wrote:

    > Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
    > getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
    > router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
    > blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
    > to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
    > going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
    > "crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
    > to the router.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > akiwi

    I got one of these too. My one had older firmware and would not work
    after 24 hours uptime (a problem with the clock or timer in there
    somewhere). The new firmware works great, and now it never falls over.

    Ripping Silk, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Graeme Prentice

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:09:34 +1200, Ripping Silk <>
    wrote:

    >Graeme Prentice wrote:
    >>
    >> Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
    >> getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
    >> router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
    >> blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
    >> to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
    >> going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
    >> "crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
    >> to the router.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> akiwi

    > I got one of these too. My one had older firmware and would not work
    >after 24 hours uptime (a problem with the clock or timer in there
    >somewhere). The new firmware works great, and now it never falls over.

    I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
    updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..

    The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
    Cap..

    Tony, Aug 15, 2005
  8. Graeme Prentice

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
    > updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..
    >
    > The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
    > Cap..

    its a powerpack, just get a new one, I dont know for sure about the dse router
    one, but they are generally welded or glued shut and not really servicable and
    able to be reassembled into something that will look any good without glue
    showing etc.

    Richard, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Graeme Prentice

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:28:02 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
    >> updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..
    >>
    >> The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
    >> Cap..

    >its a powerpack, just get a new one, I dont know for sure about the dse router
    >one, but they are generally welded or glued shut and not really servicable and
    >able to be reassembled into something that will look any good without glue
    >showing etc.

    No You can't as it does not have a standard Voltage from memory and Fixing it
    is far cheaper..

    We do this Every day, Plus who looks at the Power Pack..?

    Tony, Aug 15, 2005
  10. Graeme Prentice

    EMB Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:28:02 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tony wrote:
    >>

    >>>I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
    >>>updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..
    >>>
    >>>The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
    >>>Cap..

    >>its a powerpack, just get a new one, I dont know for sure about the dse router
    >>one, but they are generally welded or glued shut and not really servicable and
    >>able to be reassembled into something that will look any good without glue
    >>showing etc.

    > No You can't as it does not have a standard Voltage from memory and Fixing it
    > is far cheaper..
    >
    > We do this Every day, Plus who looks at the Power Pack..?

    Proof of your electrical registration so that you can legally perform
    this work please?

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Aug 15, 2005
  11. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:40:47 +1200, shannon wrote:

    >> I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
    >> router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
    >> through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
    >> handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.
    >>
    >> Graeme

    >Correct
    >You don't need any special cables
    >
    >You connect from your PC ethernet card to one of the routers four LAN
    >socket, then type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser to reach the
    >setup page.
    >The WAN socket connects to your internet connection.
    >The WAN connennection won't work until you have given it the IP address
    >info for your internet connection in the router setup page in your browser.

    OK. I had actually done everything correctly (that's 192.168.0.1 BTW)
    but unlike what the instructions say, I had to power off/on the router
    to get it to talk to my PC. It seems a little temperamental, and
    unfortunately (as Tony says) it doesn't solve my problem with
    sourceforge - even though I have "hide public IP address" enabled in
    the router - whatever that means. Damn ...

    Graeme

    Graeme Prentice, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Graeme Prentice

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:00:17 +1200, Graeme Prentice <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:40:47 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >

    >>> I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
    >>> router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
    >>> through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
    >>> handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Graeme

    >>Correct
    >>You don't need any special cables
    >>
    >>You connect from your PC ethernet card to one of the routers four LAN
    >>socket, then type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser to reach the
    >>setup page.
    >>The WAN socket connects to your internet connection.
    >>The WAN connennection won't work until you have given it the IP address
    >>info for your internet connection in the router setup page in your browser.

    >OK. I had actually done everything correctly (that's 192.168.0.1 BTW)
    >but unlike what the instructions say, I had to power off/on the router
    >to get it to talk to my PC. It seems a little temperamental, and
    >unfortunately (as Tony says) it doesn't solve my problem with
    >sourceforge - even though I have "hide public IP address" enabled in
    >the router - whatever that means. Damn ...
    >

    >Graeme

    Your Modem has to be up before you can use the Router, so if you power them up
    at the same time it will not work, just reset the router by powering it off.

    Send a Complaint to Paradise like I did, as I was trying to connect to the
    FFMPEG section...

    Its a Paradise fault as I can connect with another ISP..

    Paradise uses Clears Dynamic Caching ? that has problems with some web sites,
    just ask that its by passed for those web sites..

    I even tried the IP number 66.35.250.203

    Tony, Aug 15, 2005
  13. Graeme Prentice

    shannon Guest

    Graeme Prentice wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:40:47 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >

    >>>I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
    >>>router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
    >>>through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
    >>>handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.
    >>>
    >>>Graeme

    >>Correct
    >>You don't need any special cables
    >>
    >>You connect from your PC ethernet card to one of the routers four LAN
    >>socket, then type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser to reach the
    >>setup page.
    >>The WAN socket connects to your internet connection.
    >>The WAN connennection won't work until you have given it the IP address
    >>info for your internet connection in the router setup page in your browser.

    > OK. I had actually done everything correctly (that's 192.168.0.1 BTW)
    > but unlike what the instructions say, I had to power off/on the router
    > to get it to talk to my PC. It seems a little temperamental, and
    > unfortunately (as Tony says) it doesn't solve my problem with
    > sourceforge - even though I have "hide public IP address" enabled in
    > the router - whatever that means. Damn ...
    >

    > Graeme

    The default IP number varies according to the firmware loaded. Its a
    surecom rebadged.
    You should update the firmware from the DSE support site.
    I have a wifi router now, but I have my xh1151 addressed at 192.168.1.20
    running as a network print server.

    shannon, Aug 15, 2005