router password problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Nospam, Feb 5, 2008.

  1. Nospam

    Nospam Guest

    After setting up my wifi router

    I decided to put a password on the log in to it.

    I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box) but
    left the old password blank as it didn't have one.

    Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)

    It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    anything. So I am OK for the short term but...

    All I get in Internet explorer 7 is

    HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required

    does any one have any suggestions?

    Its a thompson speedtouch 580

    thanks
    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Feb 5, 2008

  2. Nospam

    Jim Guest

    "Nospam" <> wrote in message
    > After setting up my wifi router
    >
    > I decided to put a password on the log in to it.
    >
    > I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box) but
    > left the old password blank as it didn't have one.
    >
    > Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)
    >
    > It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    > anything. So I am OK for the short term but...
    >

    > All I get in Internet explorer 7 is
    >
    > HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required
    >
    > does any one have any suggestions?
    >
    > Its a thompson speedtouch 580
    >
    > thanks
    > --
    > Nospam

    While I know nothing about your router, I can say that there should be a way
    to recover to the default settings.
    And one of those default settings is a blank password for the router.
    You should consult the manual.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Hi
    Almost all Routers have a Hard Reset that puts it back to the manufacturer
    Default setting.
    Look for it in the manual. Before doing the Hard Reset write down for
    yourself any changes that you made to the Router, and do the Reset.
    After Reset you need to configure again all the settings that you previously
    changed.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 6, 2008
  4. Nospam

    Nospam Guest

    In message <>, "Jack
    (MVP-Networking)." <> writes
    >Hi
    >Almost all Routers have a Hard Reset that puts it back to the
    >manufacturer Default setting.
    >Look for it in the manual. Before doing the Hard Reset write down for
    >yourself any changes that you made to the Router, and do the Reset.
    >After Reset you need to configure again all the settings that you
    >previously changed.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Nospam" <> wrote in message
    >> After setting up my wifi router
    >>
    >> I decided to put a password on the log in to it.
    >>
    >> I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box)
    >>but left the old password blank as it didn't have one.
    >>
    >> Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)
    >>
    >> It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    >>anything. So I am OK for the short term but...
    >>

    >> All I get in Internet explorer 7 is
    >>
    >> HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required
    >>
    >> does any one have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Its a thompson speedtouch 580
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> -- Nospam

    Thanks for the response.

    It appears that the router has issues with IE7

    I was advised to use telnet to access the router and type

    system config digestauth=disabled

    I'm not sure what this command does but it fixed the problem.

    --
    Nospam

    Nospam, Feb 6, 2008