    ethernet) comes, on what basis the box decides to route (L3) or switch
    (L2)

    Thanks

    Ask, Jun 28, 2007

  2. Ask a écrit :
    > Hi
    >
    > Please clarify a basic doubt. In a multilayer box, when a packet (say
    > ethernet) comes, on what basis the box decides to route (L3) or switch
    > (L2)
    >
    > Thanks

    It routes when the destination MAC address is the router address.

    Christophe Fillot, Jun 28, 2007

  3. Ask

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 28, 6:33 am, Christophe Fillot <> wrote:
    > Ask a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi

    > > Please clarify a basic doubt. In a multilayer box, when a packet (say
    > > ethernet) comes, on what basis the box decides to route (L3) or switch
    > > (L2)

    > > Thanks

    > It routes when the destination MAC address is the router address.

    Furthermore, if it owns either A) both the receiving and destination
    network, or B) the receiving network and a next-hop network towards
    the destination, it will route the packet. If it does not have a
    layer 3 interface in the networks, or the receiving and destination
    network are one and the same, the switch will switch the packet. It
    should also be said that I am assuming we are ignoring CEF and other
    technologies, and assuming that this is the first packet for this
    source/destination since age-outs and other things.

    Trendkill, Jun 28, 2007