    frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
    working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
    there any solution to this?
    lionheart, Sep 26, 2009

  2. lionheart

    GTS Guest

    It's not unusual to have to reboot consumer grade routers once in a while.
    If it is happening frequently (and affecting multiple computers) it's most
    likely indicates the router is failing and needs to be replaced.

    GTS, Sep 26, 2009

  3. lionheart <> wrote in news:823b9d0f-6b28-
    :

    > hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access
    > with two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
    > frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
    > working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
    > there any solution to this?

    Perhaps, depending on what the problem is.

    Have you checked the Linksys website for an updated firmware download
    for the router? If other people have been experiencing this problem
    and the router is at fault, Linksys may have fixed it in a firmware
    update.

    The problem may also be in your modem. When you lose your access,
    can you still contact the configuration page of the router? Can you
    connect using one of the wired ports? If so, check the status page
    of your router configuration and see if it lost its IP lease to your
    modem/ISP and failed to reestablish.

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Sep 27, 2009
  4. Hi
    Many sub $100 Routers would behave in this way if any Networked computers is
    Busy with Heavy downloads (like the Torrent type).
    Check with your partners and make sure that they are loading and
    destabilizing the Router.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Sep 27, 2009
  5. lionheart

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 26, 8:36 am, lionheart <> wrote:
    > hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
    > two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
    > frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
    > working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
    > there any solution to this?

    Always update the "wireless" adapter drivers on the laptops

    Make sure that any enhanced firewall software is told to trust the
    wireless network name (aka SSID.) Norton is "known" to
    "deauthenticate" the wireless network if the wireless network is not
    "listed" as a trusted network.
    smlunatick, Sep 29, 2009
  6. lionheart

    JimH Guest

    lionheart wrote:
    > hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
    > two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
    > frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
    > working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
    > there any solution to this?

    I had similar problems. I discovered that when laptops come and go from
    the network (like a reboot, or physical movement), they would request an
    IP address from the router. If another laptop had been in standby, the
    new one on the network would acquire the IP address of the sleeping one.
    When the sleeping one wakes, they both have the same IP address, and the
    conflict causes network failures. I've even seen it with a blackberry.

    I went into the settings on the router, and assigned permanent IP
    addresses for every device that normally connects. That way, they never
    have a conflict. I then set the starting address for connections above
    all of the permanent ones, so that if I have a guest who connects, they
    won't get an address that conflicts.

    I haven't had to reboot my router in months.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Jim
    JimH, Oct 7, 2009