router kicking modem off line?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by donna, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. donna

    donna Guest

    I've been having this problem since November, before then I had this
    setup for about 4 months with no problems, and nothing has changed. My
    cable company can't help me and neither can Linksys. It seems like my
    wireless router is periodically kicking me offline. When this happens,
    both the wireless and wired machines cannot access the internet until I
    unplug the modem to reset it.

    I seems the later it gets the higher the frequency of occurance,
    sometimes it will happen every 5 minutes.

    If I can't solve this soon, I am going to change broadband internet
    providers, I don't know if that will help, but I don't know what else
    to do. But that will be a last resort, I don't want to go through the
    trouble of changing providers.

    I've done a few hard resets with the router.

    This evening it started happening every 10 minutes, so I went and
    unplugged the router and stayed wired with the modem directly to the
    machine, and I had no problems, so I'm really thinking it has something
    to do with the router.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    donna, Jan 18, 2006

  2. donna

    FML Guest

    donna wrote:
    > I've been having this problem since November, before then I had this
    > setup for about 4 months with no problems, and nothing has changed. My
    > cable company can't help me and neither can Linksys. It seems like my
    > wireless router is periodically kicking me offline. When this happens,
    > both the wireless and wired machines cannot access the internet until I
    > unplug the modem to reset it.
    >
    > I seems the later it gets the higher the frequency of occurance,
    > sometimes it will happen every 5 minutes.
    >
    > If I can't solve this soon, I am going to change broadband internet
    > providers, I don't know if that will help, but I don't know what else
    > to do. But that will be a last resort, I don't want to go through the
    > trouble of changing providers.
    >
    > I've done a few hard resets with the router.
    >
    > This evening it started happening every 10 minutes, so I went and
    > unplugged the router and stayed wired with the modem directly to the
    > machine, and I had no problems, so I'm really thinking it has something
    > to do with the router.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    It could be interference. Do you have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone that is
    being used when your connection drops? or neighbors just bought new
    cordless phones? Baby Monitor? Have you tried changing channels on the
    router?
    FML, Jan 18, 2006

  3. donna

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "donna" <> wrote in message
    > I've been having this problem since November, before then I had this
    > setup for about 4 months with no problems, and nothing has changed. My
    > cable company can't help me and neither can Linksys. It seems like my
    > wireless router is periodically kicking me offline. When this happens,
    > both the wireless and wired machines cannot access the internet until I
    > unplug the modem to reset it.

    Is the router under warrantee? If push comes to shove, take it back and get
    another one.

    > I seems the later it gets the higher the frequency of occurance,
    > sometimes it will happen every 5 minutes.

    You sure it's not related to something else switching on and off and the
    router is taking electrical hits due to this.

    > If I can't solve this soon, I am going to change broadband internet
    > providers, I don't know if that will help, but I don't know what else
    > to do. But that will be a last resort, I don't want to go through the
    > trouble of changing providers.

    It may not fix your problem.

    > I've done a few hard resets with the router.
    >
    > This evening it started happening every 10 minutes, so I went and
    > unplugged the router and stayed wired with the modem directly to the
    > machine, and I had no problems, so I'm really thinking it has something
    > to do with the router.

    Is the router protected properly by using an UPS system with it? The router
    likes clean and constant power and will start going defective if it's taking
    hits.

    Have you tried to reflash the router's firmware? That can correct problems
    like the one you're having with the router.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 18, 2006
  4. donna

    Wintr Guest

    Definitely modem failure I have seen this all before and infact had the
    same issue with mine, in my case as time passed the disconnection
    phenomena became more frequent. Replace the modem or if you're paying
    the cable lease have them do it. You'll soon see your troubles
    disappear.

    Wintr, Jan 18, 2006
  5. donna

    FML Guest

    Wintr wrote:
    > Definitely modem failure I have seen this all before and infact had the
    > same issue with mine, in my case as time passed the disconnection
    > phenomena became more frequent. Replace the modem or if you're paying
    > the cable lease have them do it. You'll soon see your troubles
    > disappear.

    I wouldn't be so quick to point at the modem. The OP states that when
    connected directly to the modem (bypassing the router) everything is
    good. I'd be more inclined to suspect the router than the modem.

    FML, Jan 19, 2006
  6. donna

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 17 Jan 2006 21:46:43
    -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide "donna" <>
    from this open and apparent shame?:

    >I've been having this problem since November, before then I had this
    >setup for about 4 months with no problems, and nothing has changed.

    My
    >cable company can't help me and neither can Linksys. It seems like

    my
    >wireless router is periodically kicking me offline. When this

    happens,
    >both the wireless and wired machines cannot access the internet until

    >unplug the modem to reset it.
    >
    >I seems the later it gets the higher the frequency of occurrence,
    >sometimes it will happen every 5 minutes.
    >
    >If I can't solve this soon, I am going to change broadband internet
    >providers, I don't know if that will help, but I don't know what else
    >to do. But that will be a last resort, I don't want to go through

    the
    >trouble of changing providers.
    >
    >I've done a few hard resets with the router.
    >
    >This evening it started happening every 10 minutes, so I went and
    >unplugged the router and stayed wired with the modem directly to the
    >machine, and I had no problems, so I'm really thinking it has

    something
    >to do with the router.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >Thanks.

    I had this exact same prob w/my Linksys router!
    Has to trade it in for another one.
    Fortunately it was still under warranty.

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Jan 19, 2006
  7. donna

    Rick Merrill Guest

    donna wrote:
    > I've been having this problem since November, before then I had this
    > setup for about 4 months with no problems, and nothing has changed. My
    > cable company can't help me and neither can Linksys. It seems like my
    > wireless router is periodically kicking me offline. When this happens,
    > both the wireless and wired machines cannot access the internet until I
    > unplug the modem to reset it.
    >
    > I seems the later it gets the higher the frequency of occurance,
    > sometimes it will happen every 5 minutes.
    >
    > If I can't solve this soon, I am going to change broadband internet
    > providers, I don't know if that will help, but I don't know what else
    > to do. But that will be a last resort, I don't want to go through the
    > trouble of changing providers.
    >
    > I've done a few hard resets with the router.
    >
    > This evening it started happening every 10 minutes, so I went and
    > unplugged the router and stayed wired with the modem directly to the
    > machine, and I had no problems, so I'm really thinking it has something
    > to do with the router.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    So replace the router: it's ethernet (WAN) side line may be damaged.
    Rick Merrill, Jan 21, 2006