    total the 100 (txload) and 122(rxload), get 222 and say the
    utilization on the interface is (222/255) 88%
    , Jun 12, 2008

  2. Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 12, 7:25 am, "" <> wrote:
    > Hi, how do you calculate the interface utilization -
    > e.g. reliability 255/255, txload 100/255, rxload 122/255 - do you
    > total the 100 (txload) and 122(rxload), get 222 and say the
    > utilization on the interface is (222/255) 88%

    No, the transmit and receive are mutually exclusive. tx is transmit,
    rx is receive, and therefore you treat them differently. I suppose
    you could aggregate them and then take it over 510, but I can't think
    of any real reason to look at it that way. Additionally, the tx/rx
    are averaged over a set amount of time if I recall correctly, like 5
    minutes, but its using some specific calculation. Since bandwidth on
    circuits is full duplex (1.5 meg transmit AND 1.5 meg receive on a T1
    for example), you do not aggregate tx and rx.

    http://www.staticnat.com/WP/2007/03...ad-1255-rxload-1255-what-does-it-really-mean/

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/inter/command/reference/int_s3gt.html
    Trendkill, Jun 12, 2008

  3. Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 12, 7:35 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 7:25 am, "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, how do you calculate the interface utilization -
    > > e.g. reliability 255/255, txload 100/255, rxload 122/255 - do you
    > > total the 100 (txload) and 122(rxload), get 222 and say the
    > > utilization on the interface is (222/255) 88%

    > No, the transmit and receive are mutually exclusive. tx is transmit,
    > rx is receive, and therefore you treat them differently. I suppose
    > you could aggregate them and then take it over 510, but I can't think
    > of any real reason to look at it that way. Additionally, the tx/rx
    > are averaged over a set amount of time if I recall correctly, like 5
    > minutes, but its using some specific calculation. Since bandwidth on
    > circuits is full duplex (1.5 meg transmit AND 1.5 meg receive on a T1
    > for example), you do not aggregate tx and rx.
    >
    > http://www.staticnat.com/WP/2007/03/07/reliability-255255-txload-1255...
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/inter/command/reference/int...

    So using your numbers, transmit is 100/255 or 39.2% utilized, and
    receive is 122/255 or 47.8% utilization.
    Trendkill, Jun 12, 2008