    his IP is 192.168.1.x and of course if I try to join that game it looks on
    my local network and can't find the game.

    So how do you set it up properly?

    cowboyz, Oct 24, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    Howard Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > I have very little experience with Jet stream as I can't get it but I
    > set my Dads machine up with a Plexescom (?) router. He has 3
    > machines actually and all wok good. BUT
    >
    > The router is on 192.168.1.1
    >
    > The machine fetch their IP automatically.
    >
    > Now when we go to play online I have to host cause if Dad hosts a
    > game then his IP is 192.168.1.x and of course if I try to join that
    > game it looks on my local network and can't find the game.
    >
    > So how do you set it up properly?

    I'm not at all sure I can help, but I'll try anyway. For starters, you sayit
    works when you host - what is your IP when doing so?

    Howard, Oct 26, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> I have very little experience with Jet stream as I can't get it but I
    >> set my Dads machine up with a Plexescom (?) router. He has 3
    >> machines actually and all wok good. BUT
    >>
    >> The router is on 192.168.1.1
    >>
    >> The machine fetch their IP automatically.
    >>
    >> Now when we go to play online I have to host cause if Dad hosts a
    >> game then his IP is 192.168.1.x and of course if I try to join that
    >> game it looks on my local network and can't find the game.
    >>
    >> So how do you set it up properly?

    > I'm not at all sure I can help, but I'll try anyway. For starters,
    > you sayit works when you host - what is your IP when doing so?

    I probably didn't explain it right.

    If I host (using Ihug Ultra) my IP is 202.109.x.x (something like that)

    Everyone can join and all is happy.

    But Dad hosting (using his router and jetstream) IP is always 192.168.1.x
    and he hasn't got any other options.

    Up till now it hasn't been an issue cause I always play (and host) but my
    time being more limited Dad can't play against others and host without me
    being there cause no one can see his game.

    cowboyz, Oct 26, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    Howard Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > I probably didn't explain it right.
    >
    > If I host (using Ihug Ultra) my IP is 202.109.x.x (something like
    > that)
    >
    > Everyone can join and all is happy.
    >
    > But Dad hosting (using his router and jetstream) IP is always
    > 192.168.1.x and he hasn't got any other options.
    >
    > Up till now it hasn't been an issue cause I always play (and host)
    > but my time being more limited Dad can't play against others and host
    > without me being there cause no one can see his game.

    Your father's IP of 192.168.x.x is a local network address ie not internet
    routable, but his router _will_ have a normal routable IP addy. If you go to
    whatismyip.com from his machine you'll see his router's IP. Or he could
    browse to his router (type http://192.168.1.1 in a browser), and you'll be
    able to see various settings & the IP address of the router.

    You'll need to configure the router to forward the games traffic to your
    fathers IP address of 192.168.x.x, whatever it is. You may want to hard code
    the IP set it to 192.168.1.2 say, rather than let dhcp assign it. That way
    the router will always be able to forward to the same machine. The router's
    manual will tell you how to do this.

    I hope the above is correct. I've had my router for only a month...

    Howard, Oct 26, 2003
  5. In article <bnhjgh$s5l$>, "cowboyz" <>
    wrote:

    >If I host (using Ihug Ultra) my IP is 202.109.x.x (something like that)
    >
    >Everyone can join and all is happy.
    >
    >But Dad hosting (using his router and jetstream) IP is always 192.168.1.x
    >and he hasn't got any other options.

    So your Dad wants to run a server from within his LAN?

    In that case, what you need to do is set up a "pinhole" on your ADSL
    router. The router is doing something called source ENAT (Extended
    Network Address Translation), which means any outgoing connections from
    machines on the LAN are automatically remapped by the router so they
    appear to come from your 202.109.x.x address. The pinhole provides
    destination ENAT, which means that incoming connection attempts to, say,
    port X at address 202.109.x.x get mapped to port Y (which might be the
    same as X) at address 192.168.1.y within your LAN.

    In order for this to work, the address 192.168.1.y must be configured
    statically into your server machine, not assigned dynamically via DHCP.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I probably didn't explain it right.
    >>
    >> If I host (using Ihug Ultra) my IP is 202.109.x.x (something like
    >> that)
    >>
    >> Everyone can join and all is happy.
    >>
    >> But Dad hosting (using his router and jetstream) IP is always
    >> 192.168.1.x and he hasn't got any other options.
    >>
    >> Up till now it hasn't been an issue cause I always play (and host)
    >> but my time being more limited Dad can't play against others and host
    >> without me being there cause no one can see his game.

    > Your father's IP of 192.168.x.x is a local network address ie not
    > internet routable, but his router _will_ have a normal routable IP
    > addy. If you go to whatismyip.com from his machine you'll see his
    > router's IP. Or he could browse to his router (type
    > http://192.168.1.1 in a browser), and you'll be able to see various
    > settings & the IP address of the router.
    >
    > You'll need to configure the router to forward the games traffic to
    > your fathers IP address of 192.168.x.x, whatever it is. You may want
    > to hard code the IP set it to 192.168.1.2 say, rather than let dhcp
    > assign it. That way the router will always be able to forward to the
    > same machine. The router's manual will tell you how to do this.
    >
    > I hope the above is correct. I've had my router for only a month...

    I'll have a closer look at it next time I am over there.

    cowboyz, Oct 27, 2003