    Was advised to unplug the model replace cable w/an e cable. Tried w/o router
    to confirm ISP connection. NG. Question: have I missed something? i.e. is
    the ethernet outlet on the emachine switchable? Suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=, Oct 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=

    Lem Guest

    Tom M. wrote:

    > Just bought an HP laptop w/wireless capability. Tried to install a linksys
    > router between my comcast supplied modem and my emachine pc. The modem is
    > presently connected by USB cable. The router requires an ethernet cable.
    > Was advised to unplug the model replace cable w/an e cable. Tried w/o router
    > to confirm ISP connection. NG. Question: have I missed something? i.e. is
    > the ethernet outlet on the emachine switchable? Suggestions?

    What do you mean by "unplug the model replace cable w/ an e cable"?
    Does your cable modem have an Ethernet port in addition to the USB
    connection? If so, you can probably get it to work with your Linksys
    router. See http://www.cs.umd.edu/~daveho/info/comcast.html
    If not, I think you'll have to get one with an Ethernet connection.
    http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2427.html

    Lem, Oct 4, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=

    David T Guest

    You must use the ethernet connection on the modem to connect to the router.
    So you will need an ethernet cable.
    I have a comcast modem connected to a linksys wireless router with a
    wireless desktop and wireless laptop connected to the network all works fine

    David T, Oct 5, 2005
  4. 1.get Ethernet cable 2.plug in 3.call Linksys tech support
    AND THEY WILL WALK YOU TRU

    =?Utf-8?B?cmljaA==?=, Oct 5, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:02:02 -0700, Tom M. wrote:

    > Just bought an HP laptop w/wireless capability. Tried to install a linksys
    > router between my comcast supplied modem and my emachine pc. The modem is
    > presently connected by USB cable. The router requires an ethernet cable.
    > Was advised to unplug the model replace cable w/an e cable. Tried w/o router
    > to confirm ISP connection. NG. Question: have I missed something? i.e. is
    > the ethernet outlet on the emachine switchable? Suggestions?

    Assume that you meant, "modem", not "model". I hate it when my brain tells
    the finger to use one key, but it stupidly uses another instead! Bad
    finger!!!

    As others have stated, the router is looking for an Ethernet cable. If your
    cable modem has an Ethernet port, you just remove the USB cable between the
    modem and the computer, and you install an Ethernet cable between the modem
    and the router.

    If your modem does not have an Ethernet port, you will need to replace it
    with a modem which does have an Ethernet port. Or replace the router with a
    model that will accept a USB connection on the WAN side; I really don't
    know if such a product exists.

    The Ethernet port on the computer is not an "outlet"; Ethernet being a
    bi-directional connection. It is a port, and it is purely Ethernet; it
    can't be converted to some other electrical specification.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    N. Miller, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Thanks, Lem. I tried to be brief and wasn't clear. My current comcast modem
    is connected to the pc w/a USB cable. Both the modem and the pc have
    ethernet ports. I tried to get he modem to work by using the ethernet ports.
    I unplugged the modem changed the cables; reconnected found I no longer
    could get online. My question really is how do I get this modem to work w/
    an ethernet cable so I can then install a router (requires ethernet cable
    connection) in the line? Do I need to somehow "activate" the ethernet port on
    the pc; i.e. is it switchable?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=, Oct 5, 2005
  7. Thanks for your response, David. I do have an ethernet cable. One was
    supplied with the router and I have one other. My problem is that when I
    substituted the ethernet cable from the modem to the pc I know longer could
    get online. I need to get the modem to work w/an ethernet calbe so I can
    then put the router in that connection. Do I have to "switch-on" the pc's
    ethernet port? It currently works through the USB port; do I have to
    activate a change of ports? Or is there something else going on here that
    I'm missing altogether?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Thanks, Rich. It was Linksys support who told me to replace the USB cable
    with the Ethernet cable as I described. My problem is that when I did this I
    nolonger had connection with the internet. How do I get the modem to work
    with the e-cable instead of the USB cable? Linksys support could not deal
    with this; they kept repeating the original instruction.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Thanks, N. Yes the modem has an ethernet port. Also the pc has one and of
    course the router only has ethernet ports. I need to get my modem working
    with an ethernet cable. I followed Lindsys instructions by unpluging the
    modem; changing cables; reconnecting, but found I was now not getting online.
    How do I get the modem to work with an ethernet cable so I can then insert
    the router in the conncection? Does it have something to do with designating
    which port is to be used?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=, Oct 5, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=

    David T Guest

    You might need to look in your network connection and make sure that the
    Local area connection is on and configured with the proper connection.. You
    might want to try comcast suppurt also..If you have been using a USB
    connection I doubt that the local area connection is on and configured...You
    can find netwok connection in the control panel.

    David T, Oct 6, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE0u?=

    bjrugg Guest

    I switched a friend from USB to Ethernet with Adelphia. It required
    Adelphia to change settings on their end in their database from USB to
    ethernet before it worked. Call Comcast tech support for help.

    bjrugg, Oct 6, 2005
  12. i have a belkin router ,my telewest cable modem is connected by a usb
    cable,when i change to ethernet cable i loose my internet connection, my
    router requires an ethernet connection how do i solve this problem
    --
    verty

    =?Utf-8?B?dmVydHk=?=, Oct 31, 2005
  13. --