    ones.

    Thanks
    John
    fitzy_bhoy, Aug 23, 2004

  2. fitzy_bhoy

    chris Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
    $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going to
    : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach the
    : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    :
    No.

    I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
    uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..

    --
    chris
    chris, Aug 23, 2004

  3. fitzy_bhoy

    fitzy_bhoy Guest

    "chris" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
    > $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going
    > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach
    > the
    > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    > :
    > No.
    >
    > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
    > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
    >
    > --
    > chris

    Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
    fitzy_bhoy, Aug 23, 2004
  4. fitzy_bhoy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "fitzy_bhoy" <> wrote in

    > I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
    > going to get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if
    > I attach the NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    > If not can anyone tell me a good router for use with Cable BB as all I
    > seem to find are ADSL ones.

    If the router is not a BB ready router, then it's not going to work. The
    ISP should provide you with a BB modem or you can purchase one that is on
    the ISP's approved modem list. If you purchase a modem, then the modem's
    MAC must be provisioned with the ISP

    You may want to find a BB router like a Linksys that does WAN MAC cloning
    as you may need that to clone the first's PC NIC MAC that's connected to
    the ISP's network and clone that MAC into the router so that the ISP thinks
    it's the computer instead of the router. Or you can have the MAC of the
    router provisioned with the ISP as well, so that the router can connect to
    the ISP's network, without any MAC cloning being done.

    I don't know about this NTL, but most ISP's will not support a router and
    you'll have to support it yourself.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 24, 2004
  5. fitzy_bhoy

    chris Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article <412a71c6$0$20244
    $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    : "chris" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
    : > $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    : > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going
    : > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach
    : > the
    : > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    : > :
    : > No.
    : >
    : > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
    : > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
    : >
    : > --
    : > chris
    :
    : Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
    :
    No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
    you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up :)

    --
    chris
    chris, Aug 24, 2004
  6. fitzy_bhoy

    chris Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:08:18 GMT and in article
    <Xns954EB87C61050notmenotmecom@204.127.204.17>, Duane Arnold said...
    : You may want to find a BB router like a Linksys that does WAN MAC cloning
    : as you may need that to clone the first's PC NIC MAC that's connected to
    : the ISP's network and clone that MAC into the router so that the ISP thinks
    : it's the computer instead of the router.
    :
    You don't need to do this on NTL.

    --
    chris
    chris, Aug 24, 2004
  7. fitzy_bhoy

    fitzy_bhoy Guest

    "chris" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article <412a71c6$0$20244
    > $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    > : "chris" <> wrote in message
    > : news:...
    > : > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
    > : > $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    > : > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
    > going
    > : > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I
    > attach
    > : > the
    > : > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    > : > :
    > : > No.
    > : >
    > : > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with
    > 100%
    > : > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
    > : >
    > : > --
    > : > chris
    > :
    > : Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
    > :
    > No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
    > you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up :)
    >
    > --
    > chris

    Excuse my ignorance. But my router at the moment in running in PPPoa+NAT
    mode. If nat is not a firewall then why do firewall test sites tell me that
    I am completely protected. I realise that a £60 router isn't going to
    protect me, but is NAT and maybe Zone alarm behind it enough for the home
    user
    fitzy_bhoy, Aug 24, 2004
  8. fitzy_bhoy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes it does have a firewall. It is a router. The firewall is built in.

    pcbutts1, Aug 24, 2004
  9. fitzy_bhoy

    chris Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:30:37 +0100 and in article <412a7e13$0$20249
    $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    : If nat is not a firewall then why do firewall test sites tell me that
    : I am completely protected

    Dude, I don't care what those websites tell you. NAT is *not* a
    firewall.

    --
    chris
    chris, Aug 24, 2004
  10. fitzy_bhoy

    chris Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:31:12 GMT and in article <47vWc.31716$9Y6.30461
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, pcbutts1 said...
    Fucking top posting idiot. **** off and die, clueless ****.

    --
    chris
    chris, Aug 24, 2004
  11. fitzy_bhoy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You dumbass **** you and see my top post idiot. A router is not a firewall
    did you learn that from your mom?

    pcbutts1, Aug 24, 2004
  12. fitzy_bhoy

    chris Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:46:43 GMT and in article <DlvWc.31727$9Y6.10499
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, pcbutts1 said...
    : You dumbass **** you and see my top post idiot.

    *plonk*

    : A router is not a firewall did you learn that from your mom?

    Seemingly yours didnt teach your basic grammar. Statements such as 'Yes
    it does have a firewall. It is a router. The firewall is built in' prove
    that fuckwits like you shouldn't be allowed on the internet, let alone
    usenet! Go back to AOL along with all the other clueless idiots.

    --
    chris
    chris, Aug 24, 2004
  13. fitzy_bhoy

    Ant Guest

    If it is an all in one, (Modem, and router) you will not be able to use it.
    ADSL, uses a different connection to NTL.

    Ant.

    Ant, Aug 24, 2004
  14. fitzy_bhoy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "fitzy_bhoy" <> wrote in

    > "chris" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article <412a71c6$0$20244
    >> $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    >> : "chris" <> wrote in message
    >> : news:...
    >> : > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article
    >> : > <412a685b$0$20248 $>, fitzy_bhoy
    >> : > said...
    >> : > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I
    >> : > : am
    >> going
    >> : > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I
    >> attach
    >> : > the
    >> : > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    >> : > :
    >> : > No.
    >> : >
    >> : > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL
    >> : > with
    >> 100%
    >> : > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
    >> : >
    >> : > --
    >> : > chris
    >> :
    >> : Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
    >> :
    >> No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
    >> you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> chris

    > Excuse my ignorance. But my router at the moment in running in
    > PPPoa+NAT mode. If nat is not a firewall then why do firewall test
    > sites tell me that I am completely protected. I realise that a £60
    > router isn't going to protect me, but is NAT and maybe Zone alarm
    > behind it enough for the home user

    Yes, a NAT router with ZA is a wise choice. Most likely, your router for
    typical home usage is not a true FW appliance and meets the specs in the
    link for a NAT router that has some FW like features being called FW
    appliance, like Linksys, D-link, Belkin, etc., etc.

    If it were a true FW appliance, then the appliance would meet the specs
    in the link below like a WatchGuard, CISCO, SnapGear, etc, etc.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    And they would cost a lot more too, even a low-end one.

    http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Results.aspx?
    key=watchguard&platform=all&x=8&y=7

    http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Results.aspx?key=cisco firewall&x=6
    &platform=all&y=11

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 24, 2004
  15. fitzy_bhoy

    Mark Shaw Guest

    "chris" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
    > $>, fitzy_bhoy said...
    > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going

    > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach

    the
    > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
    > :
    > No.
    >
    > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
    > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..

    Same here. Linksys BEFSR 41 for nearly 2 years with NTL. Never had a single
    problem.
    Mark Shaw, Aug 24, 2004
  16. fitzy_bhoy

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Mark Shaw wrote:

    >>I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
    >>uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
    >>

    > Same here. Linksys BEFSR 41 for nearly 2 years with NTL. Never had a single
    > problem.

    Same here: 4 years with BEFSR41 - even was able to replace the fuse.
    - RM
    Rick Merrill, Aug 24, 2004