    settings have been erased. Any ideas what happened? (XP Sp2)

    Thanks and Happy New Year!

    -Z
    zvnteq7, Dec 31, 2008

  2. zvnteq7

    D@Z Guest

    "zvnteq7" <> wrote in message
    news:gjghlh$5t8$...
    > I was using soulseek then I got about a dozen in a row "C++ Runtime Error"
    > the app closed (slsk), the I find that all my motorola router settings
    > have been erased. Any ideas what happened? (XP Sp2)

    Yes..all your router settings have been erased, that's what you get using
    file sharing software.

    My advice, uninstall soulseek, reinstall your router drivers and be more
    careful in future what and who you download from..

    HTH
    D@Z, Dec 31, 2008

  3. zvnteq7 <> proliferated this using

    > I was using soulseek then I got about a dozen in a row "C++ Runtime
    > Error" the app closed (slsk), the I find that all my motorola router
    > settings have been erased. Any ideas what happened? (XP Sp2)
    >
    > Thanks and Happy New Year!
    >
    > -Z

    They target you by your IP address (can you change it?) and then use your
    router's MAC address... You should defeat/close ident port 113, [I forward
    all mine to 192.168.1.254 - good luck getting any response from that] and
    not allow soulseek server privleges. It sounds like the NAT firewall
    function kicked in when you got a bunch of packet acknowledgements which
    didn't match any requests coming from your LAN's [PC] address.

    I would also seriously recommend you wrapping SP3 on your space shuttle.

    Someone tried to bang into your network... and that "someone" likely had
    access to admin info at the soulseek server - or a kiddie-uber is actively
    snooping the netwaves and figgered yours looked easy. My old Linksys used
    to get hit from one of my ISP news-servers... and act the same way... just
    shut everything down and sometimes loose the router settings - but
    sometimes not. I'd always run complete malware scans - luckily always came
    up good. You might look at your events logs, but I wouldn't bet on
    anything showing there because they likely didn't get past your router. It
    could have been just a power spike on your coax cable. I'd suggest that
    you set a Linux box with a honeytrap (or tarpit) and nuke their entire
    pheekin' network if they come at you again... short of all that time and
    effort, you could have a toast to the router's being a good soldier in the
    digital wars of dark forces vs. file downloaders - change your WAN IP
    address - I'd clone my router's MAC first - if you can do that.

    It used to be really bad on certain IRC nets and chans... but mIRC seems to
    have worked that out pretty good -- or the new router with more better
    settings is earning its money.

    Just use MAC address filtering, and save your router settings on a disk or
    somewhere safe so you can recover really quick if/when they try it again.
    Lucky you that you had a router, or you might have been "PWNed" right
    now...

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and YOU... are not.

    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/575124/barack_the_magic_negro/

    Repent - the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 31, 2008
  4. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > zvnteq7 <> proliferated this using
    >
    >> I was using soulseek then I got about a dozen in a row "C++ Runtime
    >> Error" the app closed (slsk), the I find that all my motorola router
    >> settings have been erased. Any ideas what happened? (XP Sp2)
    >>
    >> Thanks and Happy New Year!
    >>
    >> -Z

    > They target you by your IP address (can you change it?) and then use your
    > router's MAC address... You should defeat/close ident port 113, [I forward
    > all mine to 192.168.1.254 - good luck getting any response from that] and
    > not allow soulseek server privleges. It sounds like the NAT firewall
    > function kicked in when you got a bunch of packet acknowledgements which
    > didn't match any requests coming from your LAN's [PC] address.
    >
    > I would also seriously recommend you wrapping SP3 on your space shuttle.
    >
    > Someone tried to bang into your network... and that "someone" likely had
    > access to admin info at the soulseek server - or a kiddie-uber is actively
    > snooping the netwaves and figgered yours looked easy. My old Linksys used
    > to get hit from one of my ISP news-servers... and act the same way... just
    > shut everything down and sometimes loose the router settings - but
    > sometimes not. I'd always run complete malware scans - luckily always came
    > up good. You might look at your events logs, but I wouldn't bet on
    > anything showing there because they likely didn't get past your router. It
    > could have been just a power spike on your coax cable. I'd suggest that
    > you set a Linux box with a honeytrap (or tarpit) and nuke their entire
    > pheekin' network if they come at you again... short of all that time and
    > effort, you could have a toast to the router's being a good soldier in the
    > digital wars of dark forces vs. file downloaders - change your WAN IP
    > address - I'd clone my router's MAC first - if you can do that.
    >
    > It used to be really bad on certain IRC nets and chans... but mIRC seems to
    > have worked that out pretty good -- or the new router with more better
    > settings is earning its money.
    >
    > Just use MAC address filtering, and save your router settings on a disk or
    > somewhere safe so you can recover really quick if/when they try it again.
    > Lucky you that you had a router, or you might have been "PWNed" right
    > now...

    Thanks for all the advice, do I really neep sp3 though? It seems to slow
    down my PC everytime I've installed it in the past, I'm only running
    with 512k of RAM. :/ What is it in Sp3 that helps more security wise?

    thanks :)
    zvnteq7, Dec 31, 2008
  5. zvnteq7 <> propounded this
    using news:gjglts$119$:

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >> zvnteq7 <> proliferated this using
    >>
    >>> I was using soulseek then I got about a dozen in a row "C++ Runtime
    >>> Error" the app closed (slsk), the I find that all my motorola router
    >>> settings have been erased. Any ideas what happened? (XP Sp2)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and Happy New Year!
    >>>
    >>> -Z

    >> They target you by your IP address (can you change it?) and then use
    >> your router's MAC address... You should defeat/close ident port 113,
    >> [I forward all mine to 192.168.1.254 - good luck getting any response
    >> from that] and not allow soulseek server privleges. It sounds like the
    >> NAT firewall function kicked in when you got a bunch of packet
    >> acknowledgements which didn't match any requests coming from your LAN's
    >> [PC] address.
    >>
    >> I would also seriously recommend you wrapping SP3 on your space
    >> shuttle.
    >>
    >> Someone tried to bang into your network... and that "someone" likely
    >> had access to admin info at the soulseek server - or a kiddie-uber is
    >> actively snooping the netwaves and figgered yours looked easy. My old
    >> Linksys used to get hit from one of my ISP news-servers... and act the
    >> same way... just shut everything down and sometimes loose the router
    >> settings - but sometimes not. I'd always run complete malware scans -
    >> luckily always came up good. You might look at your events logs, but I
    >> wouldn't bet on anything showing there because they likely didn't get
    >> past your router. It could have been just a power spike on your coax
    >> cable. I'd suggest that you set a Linux box with a honeytrap (or
    >> tarpit) and nuke their entire pheekin' network if they come at you
    >> again... short of all that time and effort, you could have a toast to
    >> the router's being a good soldier in the digital wars of dark forces
    >> vs. file downloaders - change your WAN IP address - I'd clone my
    >> router's MAC first - if you can do that.
    >>
    >> It used to be really bad on certain IRC nets and chans... but mIRC
    >> seems to have worked that out pretty good -- or the new router with
    >> more better settings is earning its money.
    >>
    >> Just use MAC address filtering, and save your router settings on a disk
    >> or somewhere safe so you can recover really quick if/when they try it
    >> again. Lucky you that you had a router, or you might have been "PWNed"
    >> right now...

    > Thanks for all the advice, do I really neep sp3 though? It seems to slow
    > down my PC everytime I've installed it in the past, I'm only running
    > with 512k of RAM. :/ What is it in Sp3 that helps more security wise?
    >
    > thanks :)

    I don't know... I'm not a coder. I think that's a very simplistic question
    which would involve a very complex answer. It's like "why is plastic more
    water-repellent than oil-soaked canvas?" I do believe it made my systems
    much more stable especially when I am on some of these available networks.
    File sharing is a dangerous business, and most attacks on systems on these
    networks seem to target the earlier versions of Windows, etc. It may
    simply be that the kiddies haven't had as much of a chance to study SP3
    yet. It may compatibility. It may be a lot of things. For me, it's just
    a simple procedural issue so I don't have to wonder if that's a factor when
    a problem occurs... YMMV and that is certainly OK.

    Wishing you and yours a safe and joyous New Year!

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 31, 2008
  6. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
> [...]

    >> with 512k of RAM. :/ What is it in Sp3 that helps more security wise?
    >>
    >> thanks :)

    > I don't know... I'm not a coder. I think that's a very simplistic question
    > which would involve a very complex answer. It's like "why is plastic more
    > water-repellent than oil-soaked canvas?" I do believe it made my systems
    > much more stable especially when I am on some of these available networks.
    > File sharing is a dangerous business, and most attacks on systems on these
    > networks seem to target the earlier versions of Windows, etc. It may
    > simply be that the kiddies haven't had as much of a chance to study SP3
    > yet. It may compatibility. It may be a lot of things. For me, it's just
    > a simple procedural issue so I don't have to wonder if that's a factor when
    > a problem occurs... YMMV and that is certainly OK.
    >
    > Wishing you and yours a safe and joyous New Year!

    Well, another reason I'm hesitant to install sp3 is the fact that
    afterwards svchost.exe spikes to %100 alllll the time (in the past when
    I've installed sp3) *sigh* waiting for a patch from Bill Gates of Hell
    to fix that issue...

    and Thank You ;) Happy new year to you as well.

    -Z
    zvnteq7, Dec 31, 2008
  7. zvnteq7

    doS Guest

    whats a router driver?

    doS, Jan 1, 2009
  8. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jan 1, 2009
  9. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jan 1, 2009
  10. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jan 1, 2009
  11. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jan 1, 2009
  12. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:53:46 -0500, zvnteq7 wrote:

    > Well, another reason I'm hesitant to install sp3 is the fact that
    > afterwards svchost.exe spikes to %100 alllll the time (in the past when
    > I've installed sp3) *sigh* waiting for a patch from Bill Gates of Hell
    > to fix that issue...

    So what are you waiting for? Format yer hard drive and install Linux. Job
    done.

    --
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTN3h-b9nU
    Aardvark, Jan 1, 2009
  13. Bill wrote:

    >> > I'm only running with
    >> > 512k of RAM.

    >> **** me! Even Linux wouldn't run on that!
    >>

    > I've got two computers here that says your wrong.

    Mmhm, remember that once Epson tricked a cp/m box that "naturally" could
    only address 64k of ram, to have 4 banks of 64k available (256k totally).
    Long before the "A20" gate ... Yet, that box ran from 2 floppies (the big
    bendable ones ;-)) and had that stylish green-on-black eyefriendly 14"
    monitor.
    That was before 8086's grew out of daynursery and DOS "required" 640k of RAM
    to make some programs like old dbase run in "low memory" while - with the
    latest and greatest 286's you could even address/remap "high ram" which a
    few mainboards did support. Oh, and it was a big joy to squeeze all the dos
    tsr's - network drivers and more - into "upper memory". That was back in
    the old 80's or so ... and GEM arrived, even before windows3.0 ... we still
    have one _very_ old box running another _very_ old lab machine, on that (I
    fortunately found a spare '486 a few years ago, when the yet older,
    original one ibm-ps1something finally quit - and no, the software doesn't
    run on a pentium, it's too fast) - and rock solid.
    Now, 512*M* of Ram is considered to be the bare minimum for XP ... let alone
    Vista.
    Linux without a GUI and minimal kernel does at least want 4*M* AFAIK.
    Some old version of Mandriva (8.x) worked with 64M in GUI mode, but not with
    KDE.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 1, 2009
  14. zvnteq7 wrote:

    > I was using soulseek then I got about a dozen in a row "C++ Runtime
    > Error" the app closed (slsk), the I find that all my motorola router
    > settings have been erased. Any ideas what happened? (XP Sp2)
    >
    > Thanks and Happy New Year!

    Make sure you have a non-default router password set - and one that's not
    exploitable by dictionary attacks. Also make sure you nave no "remote
    management" from the wan side enabled by accident.
    Most routers let you save settings as a file from the web setup page.
    TURN OFF UPNP. If you need port forwarding, take control of it by yourself.
    If your router has WLAN, turn it off unless you need it.
    whilst using it, select WPA encryption whenever possible. WEP is cracked
    in a minute.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 1, 2009
  15. zvnteq7

    Wog George Guest

    "zvnteq7" <> wrote in message

    > I'm only running with 512k of RAM. :/

    Which version of DOS did you say you were running?

    --
    George
    "If I was a towel, why would I be wearing this hat and this fake
    Wog George, Jan 1, 2009
  16. zvnteq7

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:02:40 -0800, Bill <>
    wrote:

    >In article <lpX6l.1505$2>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:50:01 -0500, zvnteq7 wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm only running with
    >> > 512k of RAM.

    >> **** me! Even Linux wouldn't run on that!
    >>

    > I've got two computers here that says your wrong.

    I don't think that's the real Aardvark, there.

    --
    The friendship that can cease has never been real.
    -- Saint Jerome
    Mara, Jan 1, 2009
  17. doS wrote:
    > whats a router driver?

    "firmware" you top-poasting nugget :)

    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default.asp?supportSection=DiscontinuedProducts

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 1, 2009
  18. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:01:12 +0000, Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >
    >> Wishing you and yours a safe and joyous New Year!

    > Up yours too.

    Ah...you've done it now mate...he'll never be off yer leg :)
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 1, 2009
  19. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:50:01 -0500, zvnteq7 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm only running with
    >> 512k of RAM.

    > **** me! Even Linux wouldn't run on that!

    FYI: Puppy Linux, Damn Small, Austrumi, Feather...
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 1, 2009
  20. Mara wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:02:40 -0800, Bill <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <lpX6l.1505$2>,
    >> says...

    >>> **** me! Even Linux wouldn't run on that!
    >>>

    >> I've got two computers here that says your wrong.

    > I don't think that's the real Aardvark, there.

    Yet another 24hrsfelchdesk poaster confesses their lack of ability to
    read teh headers :(
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 1, 2009