router for internet sharing?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by K & S, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. K & S

    K & S Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:03:09 +1300, will <> wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >Dick Smith has this broadband router
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1151
    >
    >i wonder if it can be used to share dial-up internet connection between
    >two machines (without special software)? both machines have network
    >cards, and one has a modem.
    >
    >we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
    >just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
    >we're waiting for Woosh to become available.
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >will.

    And you will wait for ever..

    will, Jan 13, 2004

  3. K & S

    SNOman Guest

    K & S wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:03:09 +1300, will <> wrote:
    >

    >>hi,
    >>
    >>Dick Smith has this broadband router
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1151
    >>
    >>i wonder if it can be used to share dial-up internet connection between
    >>two machines (without special software)? both machines have network
    >>cards, and one has a modem.
    >>
    >>we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
    >>just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
    >>we're waiting for Woosh to become available.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>will.

    > And you will wait for ever..

    And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?
    SNOman, Jan 13, 2004
  4. SNOman wrote:
    >>> we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
    >>> just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
    >>> we're waiting for Woosh to become available.

    >> And you will wait for ever..

    > And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?

    You would be surprised how far people will go to dodge the entity known
    as Telecom.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 13, 2004
  5. K & S

    Dave Taylor Guest

    If you are running MS OS's, look into Internet Connection Sharing.
    What you are looking at at DSE is more than you need for that because you will
    not be using any of its features, just the LAN Switch part of it.
    You could just purchase a hub to do this.
    To support a shared modem look for something with an external RS232 port on it.
    I looked on DSE's site and did not find any routers that support an external modem.
    You want something like these products or use Internet Connection Sharing and a cross over cable or hub.

    http://www.smc-asia.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=299&op=page&SubMenu=
    http://www.3com.com/prod/en_AP_AP/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3C888-US
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 13, 2004
  6. K & S

    SNOman Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> And you will wait for ever..

    >> And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?

    > You would be surprised how far people will go to dodge the entity known
    > as Telecom.

    I thought that they were referred to as Telescum ;-)
    SNOman, Jan 13, 2004
  7. SNOman wrote:
    >>> And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?

    >> You would be surprised how far people will go to dodge the entity
    >> known as Telecom.

    > I thought that they were referred to as Telescum ;-)

    Either way, we all know what is meant.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 13, 2004
  8. "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    >>>we're waiting for Woosh to become available.

    > And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?

    Its $199 at the moment, might be +GST, can't remember, one of their TV
    adverts wooshed pasted a few mins ago

    Must annoy those that bought their modems at full price for twice as much
    just a couple of month ago, I know I was, still am
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Must annoy those that bought their modems at full price for twice as much
    > just a couple of month ago, I know I was, still am

    How do you find the connection?
    Speed?
    Reliability?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 13, 2004
  10. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> I thought that they were referred to as Telescum ;-)

    > Either way, we all know what is meant.

    I sent them a cheque made out to telescum - still presented it, still went
    thru.. must be common.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jan 18, 2004
  11. K & S

    EMB Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message

    > I sent them a cheque made out to telescum - still presented it, still went
    > thru.. must be common.

    They managed to bank an unsigned cheque - guy I used to work for never
    signed his cheques to telescum or ird just to cause them maximum
    inconvenience.

    EMB
    EMB, Jan 18, 2004
  12. On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:50:41 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > They managed to bank an unsigned cheque - guy I used to work for never
    > signed his cheques to telescum or ird just to cause them maximum
    > inconvenience.

    Would they bank a cheque which has "This represents full and final payment
    of any and all monies owing" endorsed on the back?

    This _IS_ legal btw. Once they bank it they've accepted the contract. If
    you have a dispute with any outfits it's worth doing it to get closure,
    but make sure you've already arranged to get your cancelled cheques back.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 18, 2004