Router firewalls (cable connection)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by dud_address@xparadise.net.nz, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Guest

    At long last router prices in NZ have come down to ground so that
    there is no longer a factor of 3+ difference between the price here &
    that in the US. Ascent now have DI-704P's for <$139 (& even cheaper
    other options).

    I am attracted to the DI-704P (or DI-707P) for a couple of reasons
    (price + printer port). Tax admin issues make a price of under
    $200+GST attractive. Also the D-Link site states that the DI-704P
    includes a "built in client for Telstra cable" (so hopefully
    likelihood of problems less?).

    My only concern is whether the built in firewall is "up to scatch".
    Other (dearer) routers appear to claim more robust(?) firewall
    capabilities - the marketing putting emphasis on their VPN & SPI
    capabilities; eg. see specs for (ex. Ascent site):

    + D-Link DI-804HV VPN Firewall ...
    + Netgear FR114P, True Firewall ...
    & going by the prices, presumably other models that are even more
    robust (but well beyond what I can justify for a home business).

    However, the specs seem to indicate that the DI-704P has at least VPN
    Pass Through Function (PPTP, L2TP, IPSec); Also states "Supports DHCP,
    VPN, PPP, PAP / CHAP Security".

    So, how much more robust are the firewalls in the DI-804HV & FR114P?
    Worth the extra $$$ (& the pain of carrying forward yet another minor
    item as a capital asset for the next n years)?

    Comments on the technical merits of the various (say sub $350) router
    options would be much apprecated.

    David
    , Jan 8, 2004