    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Colyn, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Colyn

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:41:56 GMT, Colyn <>
    wrote:

    >I had to replace my router/firewall today and while setting it up I
    >noticed in the settings virtual server DNS which uses ports UDP 53/53
    >
    >I'm using ports 80, 25, and 110 for my webserver and email server and
    >was wondering if the DNS port should also be enabled or left disabled.

    It really applies if you use the DHCP server in the router as it
    then points to the router for DNS queries. You set up the DNS
    server addresses once only in the router.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Colyn

    Ipeefreely Guest

    wrote:

    >I had to replace my router/firewall today and while setting it up I
    >noticed in the settings virtual server DNS which uses ports UDP 53/53
    >
    >I'm using ports 80, 25, and 110 for my webserver and email server and
    >was wondering if the DNS port should also be enabled or left disabled.

    I think with your set up you don't need that port open.

    what you can do is get on the server that is sending out mail and do a
    nslookup and look up something. if you get an answer then you are good
    to go.

    Ipeefreely, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Colyn

    Colyn Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:22:17 -0400, Ipeefreely <> wrote:

    >>I had to replace my router/firewall today and while setting it up I
    >>noticed in the settings virtual server DNS which uses ports UDP 53/53
    >>
    >>I'm using ports 80, 25, and 110 for my webserver and email server and
    >>was wondering if the DNS port should also be enabled or left disabled.

    >I think with your set up you don't need that port open.
    >
    >what you can do is get on the server that is sending out mail and do a
    >nslookup and look up something. if you get an answer then you are good
    >to go.

    I was wondering since both my email server and webserver are working
    fine with it closed.
    Thanks

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Colyn, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Colyn

    Colyn Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:07:03 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >>I had to replace my router/firewall today and while setting it up I
    >>noticed in the settings virtual server DNS which uses ports UDP 53/53
    >>
    >>I'm using ports 80, 25, and 110 for my webserver and email server and
    >>was wondering if the DNS port should also be enabled or left disabled.

    >It really applies if you use the DHCP server in the router as it
    >then points to the router for DNS queries. You set up the DNS
    >server addresses once only in the router.

    Looking back at my notes from the original setup of the first router,
    I had it enabled.
    I do have DHCP enabled.

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Colyn, Oct 23, 2005
  6. "Colyn" <> wrote in message

    > I had to replace my router/firewall today and while setting it up I
    > noticed in the settings virtual server DNS which uses ports UDP 53/53
    >
    > I'm using ports 80, 25, and 110 for my webserver and email server and
    > was wondering if the DNS port should also be enabled or left disabled.

    It would help to know the make & model..

    From the description, I would assume that the router can act as a DNS proxy.
    Not the world's most useful function, unless there's a decent cache in there
    somewhere.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!