    to ethernet connection (bypassing the router) doesn't work. I'm not
    sure replacing the router will solve my problem. Any suggestion would
    be appreciated.

    JR, Sep 29, 2008

  2. JR

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 29, 3:40 pm, JR <> wrote:
    > During a lightening storm my Belkin Wireless G Router Model F5D7230-4
    > lost all functions. There are no lights and reset does nothing. Is it
    > dead? I can't hook up (through the router) to the high speed cable via
    > Ethernet cable, but can with a modem to USB connection (by-passing the
    > router). The Belkin tech had me reset the router again, but still no
    > power. My Dell diagnostic reports no cable or Ethernet problems, but
    > could the Ethernet cable(s), etc., be bad? I'm troubled that the modem
    > to ethernet connection (bypassing the router) doesn't work. I'm not
    > sure replacing the router will solve my problem. Any suggestion would
    > be appreciated.

    You likely have suffered a power spike, which has probably "fried"
    several of your components. Your PC's Ethernet port is possibly since
    the router is completely fried. Dell's diagnostics is mis-reading the
    cable problems since it is likely that the RJ-45 port is at fault.

    smlunatick, Sep 29, 2008

  3. JR

    David B. Guest

    "During a lightening storm my Belkin Wireless G Router Model F5D7230-4 lost
    all functions. There are no lights and reset does nothing"
    You will have to replace your router obviously, have you tried running
    directly from the PC's network jack to the cable modem? If this doesn't work
    you'll also need to replace that, if it's an onboard you'll have to disable
    it and install a PCI NIC.

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    David B., Sep 29, 2008
  4. HI
    As a first step connect to the Modem directly with Ethernet cable to make
    sure that the Ethernet port of the Modem is working.
    If it does not work directly with Ethernet from the Modem call your ISP, you
    might need a new modem.
    If it does work with direct Ethernet, get a new Router. The good news is
    that new Wireless Routers are very inexpensive these days.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 29, 2008
  5. JR

    JR Guest

    On Sep 29, 10:03 am, smlunatick <> wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 3:40 pm, JR <> wrote:
    >
    > > During a lightening storm my Belkin Wireless G Router Model F5D7230-4
    > > lost all functions. There are no lights and reset does nothing. Is it
    > > dead? I can't hook up (through the router) to the high speed cable via
    > > Ethernet cable, but can with a modem to USB connection (by-passing the
    > > router). The Belkin tech had me reset the router again, but still no
    > > power. My Dell diagnostic reports no cable or Ethernet problems, but
    > > could the Ethernet cable(s), etc., be bad? I'm troubled that the modem
    > > to ethernet connection (bypassing the router) doesn't work. I'm not
    > > sure replacing the router will solve my problem. Any suggestion would
    > > be appreciated.

    > You likely have suffered a power spike, which has probably "fried"
    > several of your components.  Your PC's Ethernet port is possibly since
    > the router is completely fried.  Dell's diagnostics is mis-reading the
    > cable problems since it is likely that the RJ-45 port is at fault.

    Is there an easy way to test the ethernet cables and the ethernet
    port? I cannot get any "action"when I connect the modem to the
    ethernet via the cable. Are you saying the Dell Diagnostic will not
    necessarily find a ethernet port/cable malfunction? (All tests pass)
    If so, who or what can? Thanks.

    JR, Sep 30, 2008
  6. JR

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 30, 1:14 am, JR <> wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 10:03 am, smlunatick <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Sep 29, 3:40 pm, JR <> wrote:

    > > > During a lightening storm my Belkin Wireless G Router Model F5D7230-4
    > > > lost all functions. There are no lights and reset does nothing. Is it
    > > > dead? I can't hook up (through the router) to the high speed cable via
    > > > Ethernet cable, but can with a modem to USB connection (by-passing the
    > > > router). The Belkin tech had me reset the router again, but still no
    > > > power. My Dell diagnostic reports no cable or Ethernet problems, but
    > > > could the Ethernet cable(s), etc., be bad? I'm troubled that the modem
    > > > to ethernet connection (bypassing the router) doesn't work. I'm not
    > > > sure replacing the router will solve my problem. Any suggestion would
    > > > be appreciated.

    > > You likely have suffered a power spike, which has probably "fried"
    > > several of your components.  Your PC's Ethernet port is possibly since
    > > the router is completely fried.  Dell's diagnostics is mis-reading the
    > > cable problems since it is likely that the RJ-45 port is at fault.

    > Is there an easy way to test the ethernet cables and the ethernet
    > port?  I cannot get any "action"when I connect the modem to the
    > ethernet via the cable. Are you saying the Dell Diagnostic will not
    > necessarily find a ethernet port/cable malfunction? (All tests pass)
    > If so, who or what can? Thanks.

    If the Ethernet port is physically damaged, then any diagnostics that
    use this port will not be reliable. You need to replace the network
    adapter.

    You can locate a Ethernet cable tester but these can be expensive.

    smlunatick, Sep 30, 2008
  7. smlunatick wrote:

    > If the Ethernet port is physically damaged, then any diagnostics that
    > use this port will not be reliable. You need to replace the network
    > adapter.
    >
    > You can locate a Ethernet cable tester but these can be expensive.

    t'would probably be easier to borrow a computer with a known good
    ethernet cable to test your equipment.

    Airman Thunderbird, Oct 3, 2008