router dropping connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Dl-624 (d-link)
    firmware v1.28
    Win98SE
    isp - sympatico hi speed

    Problem - dropping the internet connection

    I have the latest firmware installed.
    I get sporadic dropping of the internet connection.
    No pattern to it, it just happens intermittently out-of-the-blue.
    It can happen on either a wired or wireless computer on our home network (2
    wireless and 2 cabled to the router).
    It can usually be fixed by going to the setup page on the main computer that
    was used to setup the router >status tab> and clicking on the connect
    button. Or by re-booting.

    In addition - here is a tweak test from dsl reports - i cant make anything
    out but maybe it means something to someone. The speed test was 639
    kbps upload and 591 kbps download which is not as good as some others listed
    on the same isp that seem to run into the thousands kbps
    http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/tweak/block:1e71d80?service=dsl&speed=&o
    s=win98SE&via=routerpppoe (join into one line and paste in url bar)

    Any troubleshooting tips?
    Frank, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Frank

    Jerry G. Guest

    The only things I can think of at this time:

    Have your browser set to "Never dial a connection". Go to Tools, Internet
    Options, and Connections.

    Then, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, and then to Settings. Then
    select Advanced. Remove the checkmarks for Disconnect if idle for, and also
    Disconnect when no longer needed.

    If you still are getting the system disconnected, then there is some other
    type of set-up that I cannot think of.

    I have also seen problems with the phone lines being marginal. If this is
    the case, you will have to call the telephone service people to come out and
    check the telephone lines at your place. They have test instruments that can
    measure the line performance.

    Also, it is very important to make sure that all the phones connected to the
    line have the filter unit on them. I have seen one time, a defective filter
    causing a problem like you have. You can try to disconnect all the
    telephones, and any devices from your line to do a test. You may have
    something jacked in that you cannot remember, and there is no filter on it.

    The filter that is used for the phones is a low pass filter box. This is to
    allow the use of the telephone frequencies. It filters out anything above 10
    kHz. If the filters are not used, the device connected to the line may load
    down the signal for the DSL modem. This will certainly lower its performance
    and stability.

    In our location, the telephone lines were over 20 years old. They had to be
    changed for the DSL to work properly. Before they were changed, it was not
    running to full performance, and was not always stable.

    With DSL, you should be getting better than 2 mb/Sec these days. The service
    that I am on is for 3 mb/Sec. When I do the tests, it reads an average of
    about 2.2 to 2.5.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Sep 9, 2004

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Thanks for this.
    I have asked them to check the phone lines. The filters are in place.
    I am curious about ".....go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, and
    then to Settings. Then select Advanced. Remove the checkmarks for Disconnect
    if idle for, and also Disconnect when no longer needed..." - because I cant
    find that. If I go to Tools >Options>Connections- dialup & vpn settings -
    everything is blank or greyed out (with the never dial a connection
    selected, but greyed).Lan settings button >everything is unchecked.

    Frank, Sep 9, 2004