    The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
    annoying
    , Sep 11, 2007

  2. Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > H i
    > netgear dg834g router
    > 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
    > My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
    > to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
    > I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
    > the noise but not the drop outs.
    > The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
    > annoying

    Excessive crosstalk from other pairs would be the usual reason for a
    dropout at peak times like that.
    Richard, Sep 11, 2007

  3. Shane Guest

    wrote:

    > H i
    > netgear dg834g router
    > 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
    > My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
    > to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
    > I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
    > the noise but not the drop outs.
    > The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
    > annoying

    Contact Xtra, it sounds like a sync issue (I had the same thing)
    They will put something on your line for a short period of time to diagnose
    the problem, then change the port you are on.

    --
    It is only two weeks into the term that, in a calculus class, a student
    raises his hand and asks: "Will we ever need this stuff in real life?"
    Shane, Sep 11, 2007
  4. EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> H i
    >> netgear dg834g router
    >> 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
    >> My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
    >> to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
    >> I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
    >> the noise but not the drop outs.
    >> The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
    >> annoying

    > Excessive crosstalk from other pairs would be the usual reason for a
    > dropout at peak times like that.

    I'll second that. The only sure way to get resolution is to log a voice
    fault call with Telecom - tell them you can often hear someone else
    faintly on your line.
    EMB, Sep 11, 2007
  5. Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:

    >> Excessive crosstalk from other pairs would be the usual reason for a
    >> dropout at peak times like that.

    > I'll second that. The only sure way to get resolution is to log a voice
    > fault call with Telecom - tell them you can often hear someone else
    > faintly on your line.

    The problem is they want you to unplug all the other phones and stuff
    from the line and use a corded phone.

    Alcatel warned them of this happening on their shit network, yet they
    made full speed available anyway.

    What the hell will happen when other people put their gear on the same
    lines and have no coordination between them about trying to not use
    adjacent pairs etc, well who knows. I'm just lucky that living among a
    hell of a lot of old and poor people means that the uptake of adsl here
    is low, so my line is relatively clean still. all 2.5 megabits of it
    Richard, Sep 11, 2007
  6. EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > What the hell will happen when other people put their gear on the same
    > lines and have no coordination between them about trying to not use
    > adjacent pairs etc, well who knows. I'm just lucky that living among a
    > hell of a lot of old and poor people means that the uptake of adsl here
    > is low, so my line is relatively clean still. all 2.5 megabits of it

    They don't avoid adjacent pairs now and haven't for years.

    My line runs a happy 4+Mb/s except when it develops a fault (usually due
    to water ingress in the street). I know for certain that *all* the
    pairs in my street are in use and >50% of them carry ADSL. The whole
    crosstalk issue was overhyped by Telecom as a justification for them
    dragging the chain in providing real broadband.
    EMB, Sep 11, 2007
  7. Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> What the hell will happen when other people put their gear on the same
    >> lines and have no coordination between them about trying to not use
    >> adjacent pairs etc, well who knows. I'm just lucky that living among a
    >> hell of a lot of old and poor people means that the uptake of adsl
    >> here is low, so my line is relatively clean still. all 2.5 megabits of it

    > They don't avoid adjacent pairs now and haven't for years.
    >
    > My line runs a happy 4+Mb/s except when it develops a fault (usually due
    > to water ingress in the street). I know for certain that *all* the
    > pairs in my street are in use and >50% of them carry ADSL. The whole
    > crosstalk issue was overhyped by Telecom as a justification for them
    > dragging the chain in providing real broadband.

    they do if you have constant dropouts, and high error rates etc, I see
    the sync speed here go up and down a little during the evenings, I hope
    that when birkdale gets adsl2+ that the power controls will reduce the
    noise somewhat, but I am not holding my breath.

    Apparantly down here they install loads of adsl that ends up not being
    used and uninstalled because of the distance.
    Richard, Sep 11, 2007
  8. <> wrote in message
    >H i
    > netgear dg834g router
    > 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
    > My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
    > to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
    > I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
    > the noise but not the drop outs.
    > The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
    > annoying

    I had the same problem for awhile. After weeks of frustration and help desk
    calls a Telecom contractor was sent out.

    His diagnosis was overloading at the exchange. Two hours after he left the
    problem went away and I've never experienced it again.

    I didn't even get a follow up mail or phone call on the solution or outcome
    of the job.

    J&H.
    Jekyll and Hyde, Sep 13, 2007