router dhcp, two ethernet and firewall

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rich Pierson, Jan 12, 2008.

  1. Rich Pierson

    Rich Pierson Guest

    I've got a cisco that has a full T1 wic, 2811, the router is doing dhcp
    on ethernet0, ethernet1 is not in use yet. When it does start being used
    it will run to another building where I just got done burying the cable
    today, it will connect to an SMC7008 router/firewall. I've not brought
    up a dual ethernet router before so I have some questions :)

    1. Will the router try to DHCP to the second ethernet interface ?
    I want the SMC to to do the DHCP to that side of the network. This whole
    thing is shared between to organizations, organization A is on ethernet0
    and organization B I want on ethernet1, No,they don't need to 'see' each
    other.

    2. I plan on upgrading the IOS to the security bundle version, it
    currently has the base one in it w/o all the firewall features so I am
    currently working with acl's. The acl's are all applied to ethernet0 so
    I think I will need to apply them to ethernet1 as well OR would it be
    better to write another set of ACL's and apply them to ethernet1 so
    that as the organizations needs change I can do the two interfaces
    seperatly. I think I just answered my own question.

    3. Cisco used to have a bunch of configuration examples, cookbooks if I
    remember the term they used which had some pretty good examples, what
    happened to those pages. Were they too informative :)

    4. My assigned block of public IP's is I think 25 addresses, will I need
    to subnet my subnet on the second interface, ethernet1. I spent a few
    hours on the cisco site looking for examples of configuring two ethernet
    interfaces on a T1 2811 and came up nada.
    Comment and suggestions.

    Rich Pierson, Jan 12, 2008