    but I cannot receive.

    Thanks for any help.

    Melvin

    Melvin, Apr 18, 2009

  2. Melvin

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:57:02 -0700, Melvin <>
    wrote:

    >I cannot connect to the internet using a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. I spent about
    >30 minutes on the phone with Cradlepoint techs, and they couldn`t help me. I
    >can connect on another computer with the router. Both computers have XP and I
    >am connecting the router the same way to both computers. I can send packets,
    >but I cannot receive.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.
    >
    >Melvin

    Melvin,

    Can we look at "ipconfig /all" from both computers?

    <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]

    Chuck [MVP], Apr 18, 2009

  3. Melvin

    Melvin Guest

    Thanks for the reply, Chuck

    Here is what I get from ipconfig/all on the computer that works.

    1. DHCP enabled--Yes
    2. Autoconfig--Yes
    3. IP Address--192.168.0.199
    4. Submask--255.255.255.0
    5. Default Gateway--192.168.0.1
    6. DHCP Server--192.168.0.1
    7. DNS Servers--192.168.0.1
    192.168.0.2

    The only difference on the ipconfig/all of the computer that DOES NOT work
    is the IP Address. It is 169.254.55.131

    Melvin

    Melvin, Apr 20, 2009
  4. Melvin

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 20, 3:31 pm, Melvin <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply, Chuck
    >
    > Here is what I get from ipconfig/all on the computer that works.
    >
    > 1. DHCP enabled--Yes
    > 2. Autoconfig--Yes
    > 3. IP Address--192.168.0.199
    > 4. Submask--255.255.255.0
    > 5. Default Gateway--192.168.0.1
    > 6. DHCP Server--192.168.0.1
    > 7. DNS Servers--192.168.0.1
    >                              192.168.0.2
    >
    > The only difference on the ipconfig/all of the computer that DOES NOT work
    > is the IP Address. It is 169.254.55.131
    >
    > Melvin
    >
    > "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
    > > On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:57:02 -0700, Melvin <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >I cannot connect to the internet using a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. I spent about
    > > >30 minutes on the phone with Cradlepoint techs, and they couldn`t help me. I
    > > >can connect on another computer with the router. Both computers have XP and I
    > > >am connecting the router the same way to both computers. I can send packets,
    > > >but I cannot receive.

    > > >Thanks for any help.

    > > >Melvin

    > > Melvin,

    > > Can we look at "ipconfig /all" from both computers?

    > > <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosi....>
    > >http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosi...

    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
    > >http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

    It seems that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having
    problems with their DNS servers. You should be able use a different
    DNS "service" server IP addresses. You can try using the OpenDNS
    servers:

    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    The PC that is getting an IP of 169.254.xxx.xxx is not able to get an
    IP from your router, for some reason. One possibility is that any
    "enhanced" Internet access security softwares can block access to your
    wireless network SSID (aka network name).) This is what happened to
    me when I was using Norton 360. The software was blocking my SSID
    access until I told the software to "trust" my network SSID.

    smlunatick, Apr 20, 2009
  5. "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 20, 3:31 pm, Melvin <> wrote:
    It seems that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having
    problems with their DNS servers. You should be able use a different
    DNS "service" server IP addresses. You can try using the OpenDNS
    servers:

    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    I tried OpenDNS with those numbers. I had to stop. They are having a bunch
    of trouble related to Google that seems to be getting worse. It used to be
    only with Clients that ran the Google Toolbar,...but we started having
    connectivity problems with just the regular www.google.com site. As soon as
    I stopped using OpenDNS all went back to normal.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Technet Library
    ISA2004
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302436(TechNet.10).aspx
    ISA2006
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb898433(TechNet.10).aspx

    Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

    Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-fd6eeb6cfa07/ts_rules.doc

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.mspx

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepartners.mspx

    Phillip Windell, Apr 20, 2009
  6. "Melvin" <> wrote in message

    > 1. DHCP enabled--Yes
    > 2. Autoconfig--Yes
    > 3. IP Address--192.168.0.199
    > 4. Submask--255.255.255.0
    > 5. Default Gateway--192.168.0.1
    > 6. DHCP Server--192.168.0.1
    > 7. DNS Servers--192.168.0.1
    > 192.168.0.2

    The 192.168.0.2 does not seem right. If you are using the firewall device
    as the DNS then there would only be the one number of 192.168.0.1

    That isn't likely to be the root of your problem,..but it might be the next
    problem you will have.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 20, 2009
  7. Melvin

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 20, 7:07 pm, "Phillip Windell" <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > On Apr 20, 3:31 pm, Melvin <> wrote:
    > It seems that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having
    > problems with their DNS servers.  You should be able use a different
    > DNS "service" server IP addresses.  You can try using the OpenDNS
    > servers:
    >
    > 208.67.222.222
    > 208.67.220.220

    > I tried OpenDNS with those numbers.  I had to stop.  They are having a bunch
    > of trouble related to Google that seems to be getting worse.  It used to be
    > only with Clients that ran the Google Toolbar,...but we started having
    > connectivity problems with just the regularwww.google.comsite.  As soon as
    > I stopped using OpenDNS all went back to normal.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    > Technet Library
    >  ISA2004http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302436(TechNet.10)..aspx
    >  ISA2006http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb898433(TechNet.10)..aspx
    >
    > Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processinghttp://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html
    >
    > Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-...
    >
    > Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partnershttp://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.mspx
    >
    > Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutionshttp://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepart...

    I have not had any Google related problem when using the OpenDNS
    servers. If you reverted back from OpenDNS and the Internet is
    working correctly, you definately have a problem with the DNS
    servers / DNS "name" resolution on the "affected" PC. If you get this
    problem again, try:

    Start
    RUN
    CMD