    to switch the traffic between its ports?

    thanks,

    wd.

    alfa_b, Sep 20, 2004

  2. * alfa_b wrote:
    > 1.I want to configure one physical interface of my cisco router (I
    > have 2600 and Layer-3 3550) to have 2 differnt IP addresses (different
    > subnets). Is it possible?

    (conf-if)# ip addr xxx yyy secondary

    > 2.I want to configure 2 interfaces on my cisco router with IP
    > addresses from the same subnet. Is it possible? will the router know
    > to switch the traffic between its ports?

    man bridge-group.

    Lutz Donnerhacke, Sep 20, 2004

  3. alfa_b

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, tm7765
    @yahoo.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > can anyone help w/ this strange configuration I need?:
    >
    > 1.I want to configure one physical interface of my cisco router (I
    > have 2600 and Layer-3 3550) to have 2 differnt IP addresses (different
    > subnets). Is it possible?

    two options. Use secondary address on the major interface.

    int fa0/0
    ip addr blah
    ip addr blah-1 secondary

    Or you can use dot1q trunking. This works in conjunction with your 3550 switch.

    > 2.I want to configure 2 interfaces on my cisco router with IP
    > addresses from the same subnet. Is it possible? will the router know
    > to switch the traffic between its ports?

    You don't want to do this. But if you must, look up "IRB" on Cisco.com

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Sep 20, 2004
  4. alfa_b wrote:

    > can anyone help w/ this strange configuration I need?:
    >
    > 1.I want to configure one physical interface of my cisco router (I
    > have 2600 and Layer-3 3550) to have 2 differnt IP addresses (different
    > subnets). Is it possible?

    Sure. Look at 'ip addresss ... secondary' if they may share a broadcast
    domain, at 802.1Q VLAN trunking and subinterfaces if not.

    > 2.I want to configure 2 interfaces on my cisco router with IP
    > addresses from the same subnet. Is it possible?

    No. Not if your're routing between the interfaces at least; if you're
    bridging between them, perhaps. Never tried it.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Sep 20, 2004
  5. alfa_b

    alfa_b Guest

    ok, thnx,

    can you elaborate more about the 3550 vlan option?

    I have a machine that has 3 IP interfaces (different nets) but only
    one physical I/F. the machine does not know to tag frames.

    on the other hand I have those 3 networks my machine has interafces
    on, and I want to connect them. I have 3550, 2600, but I can't find a
    good solution for that...how can I utilize the fact that my machine
    sends packets on 3 networks to make the 3550/2600 seperate them and
    take them to their correct network???

    any idea?

    thnx again,
    wd

    alfa_b, Sep 20, 2004
  6. alfa_b

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, tm7765
    @yahoo.com says...
    > ok, thnx,
    >
    > can you elaborate more about the 3550 vlan option?
    >
    > I have a machine that has 3 IP interfaces (different nets) but only
    > one physical I/F. the machine does not know to tag frames.
    >
    > on the other hand I have those 3 networks my machine has interafces
    > on, and I want to connect them. I have 3550, 2600, but I can't find a
    > good solution for that...how can I utilize the fact that my machine
    > sends packets on 3 networks to make the 3550/2600 seperate them and
    > take them to their correct network???

    If your machine cannot tag frames, then you cannot use vlans with 3550.
    Separating out the traffic with your 2600 won't make much sense since
    your end device does not know how to tag the frames.

    Your best bet (other than making the server vlan aware) is to use two
    secondary addressing so that you can have all three IP subnets (one
    primary and two secondary) on the same physical network. I would also
    add "ip route-cache same-interface" on the Fastethernet servicing these
    three subnets.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Sep 21, 2004
  7. alfa_b

    John Hickman

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I have a question relating to the topic of this thread that I wish to ask of this group. I will describe my router configuration using private IP addressing to describe my present use of secondary class C scheme on my router:
    I have a c2600 router that has the following:

    interface FastEther0/0 (UNIX)
    ip address 192.168.230.65 255.255.255.224 secondary
    ip address 192.168.230.38 255.255.255.224

    interface FastEther0/1
    ip address 192.168.230.161 255.255.255.224 secondary
    ip address 192.168.230.129 255.255.255.224 secondary
    ip address 192.168.230.97 255.255.255.224

    I am running a Windows-based LAN off the FastEther0/1 with a 3Com switch which I am wanting to vlan to each secondary subnets with 802.1q (i.e. native VLAN 192.168.230.161 255.255.255.224, VLAN2 ip address 192.168.230.129 255.255.255.224, etc). The subnets off of the FastEther0/0 (UNIX) are fine the way it is.

    Although I learned how to accomplish setting up VLAN trunking on a router when I studied for my CCNA, I do not quite know how to accomplish this with secondary addressing on my router. Can someone provide some help and explanation for accomplishing this?

    Best Regards,
    John Hickman

    John Hickman, Jul 1, 2006