router config

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by LeRoy, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. LeRoy

    LeRoy Guest

    I posted a message yesterday which discussed a scheduled upgrade to 4
    remote site routers and their frame relay circuit. Our service
    provider stated that there would be a need to reconfigure the routers.
    I'm unsure of exactly what parameters should be changed on the site
    routers. Here is the message again

    We presently have a Frame Relay network set up between headquarters
    and four remote sites. Three of the remote site routers, each of which
    are cisco 1721 routers with a fractional T1 csu/dsu, are going
    to be upgraded from 128k port to 384k port and 64k pvc to 256k pvc.
    The forth remote site router,which is a cisco 1721 router with
    a 56k 4-wire csu/dsu, is being upgraded to have T1.5 access, 128k port
    and from 32k pvc to 64k pvc.
    The phone company said that this upgrade is going to involve some
    router reconfiguration. I suspect that the bandwidth setting on the
    routers will have to be changed from 128k to 384k at three sites and
    from 56k to 128k at the other site. Is there any other setting that
    needs to be reconfigured? Does the 56k 4-wire csu/dsu hardware at the
    forth remote site have to be changed to a fractional T1 csu/dsu? Any
    help will be greatly appreciated.

    LeRoy, Dec 2, 2004

  2. LeRoy

    Scooby Guest

    "LeRoy" <> wrote in message
    > I posted a message yesterday which discussed a scheduled upgrade to 4
    > remote site routers and their frame relay circuit. Our service
    > provider stated that there would be a need to reconfigure the routers.
    > I'm unsure of exactly what parameters should be changed on the site
    > routers. Here is the message again
    >

    > We presently have a Frame Relay network set up between headquarters
    > and four remote sites. Three of the remote site routers, each of which
    > are cisco 1721 routers with a fractional T1 csu/dsu, are going
    > to be upgraded from 128k port to 384k port and 64k pvc to 256k pvc.
    > The forth remote site router,which is a cisco 1721 router with
    > a 56k 4-wire csu/dsu, is being upgraded to have T1.5 access, 128k port
    > and from 32k pvc to 64k pvc.
    > The phone company said that this upgrade is going to involve some
    > router reconfiguration. I suspect that the bandwidth setting on the
    > routers will have to be changed from 128k to 384k at three sites and
    > from 56k to 128k at the other site. Is there any other setting that
    > needs to be reconfigured? Does the 56k 4-wire csu/dsu hardware at the
    > forth remote site have to be changed to a fractional T1 csu/dsu? Any
    > help will be greatly appreciated.

    Leroy,

    First, the 56k csu/dsu will most likely be swapped out. They are DS0 - a
    different technology than the T1/FT1. There really isn't anything such as a
    FT1 csu, there are just T1 csu/dsu that are configured to only use some of
    the channels. A T1 is 24, 64k channels. So, for example, a 384k circuit is
    just using 6 channels. You'll need a T1 csu to accomodate that circuit.

    Also, what you need to do depends on if you are using internal or external
    csu's. Either way, they need to be reconfigured to reflect the appropriate
    number of channels in use. If this is an internal unit, then you can do
    this on your Cisco routers (service-module t1 timeslots under interface
    config). The bandwidth command has nothing to do with configuring the T1
    for connectivity. You do want to set it for other reasons (routing,
    monitoring), but your T1 will work without it.

    Unless they are installing new circuits for you, you'll need to coordinate
    the switch over, and most likely be on site, unless you have out of band
    management of the units. You both will need to reconfigure your equipment
    at the same time.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Dec 2, 2004

  3. > We presently have a Frame Relay network set up between headquarters
    > and four remote sites. Three of the remote site routers, each of which
    > are cisco 1721 routers with a fractional T1 csu/dsu, are going
    > to be upgraded from 128k port to 384k port and 64k pvc to 256k pvc.

    The PVC is no change (unless you do traffic shaping).

    For the FT1, you will need to inclear the number of "timeslots"

    Timeslots are in 64k increments. You currently have 2 and are going to 6.

    You will probably have something in the config that says something like
    "timeslots 1-2" which will need to change to "timeslots 1-6" (assuming they
    start the timeslots at one, which nearly everyone does). The command will
    be under the serial inetrface, and will start out "service-module ..."

    service-module t1 timeslots 1-2

    should become

    service-module t1 timeslots 1-6

    > The fourth remote site router,which is a cisco 1721 router with
    > a 56k 4-wire csu/dsu, is being upgraded to have T1.5 access, 128k port
    > and from 32k pvc to 64k pvc.

    This will require a change of hardware. 56k and T1 are totally different.
    The part is "WIC-1DSU-T1"

    > The phone company said that this upgrade is going to involve some
    > router reconfiguration. I suspect that the bandwidth setting on the
    > routers will have to be changed from 128k to 384k at three sites and
    > from 56k to 128k at the other site.

    Well, the bandwidth copmmand is just administrative, and reported to some
    rotuing protocols.

    > Does the 56k 4-wire csu/dsu hardware at the
    > fourth remote site have to be changed to a fractional T1 csu/dsu?

    Yes.

    Phillip Remaker, Dec 2, 2004
  4. LeRoy

    LeRoy Guest

    "Scooby" <> wrote in message news:<NZtrd.917$>...
    > "LeRoy" <> wrote in message
    > > I posted a message yesterday which discussed a scheduled upgrade to 4
    > > remote site routers and their frame relay circuit. Our service
    > > provider stated that there would be a need to reconfigure the routers.
    > > I'm unsure of exactly what parameters should be changed on the site
    > > routers. Here is the message again
    > >

    > > We presently have a Frame Relay network set up between headquarters
    > > and four remote sites. Three of the remote site routers, each of which
    > > are cisco 1721 routers with a fractional T1 csu/dsu, are going
    > > to be upgraded from 128k port to 384k port and 64k pvc to 256k pvc.
    > > The forth remote site router,which is a cisco 1721 router with
    > > a 56k 4-wire csu/dsu, is being upgraded to have T1.5 access, 128k port
    > > and from 32k pvc to 64k pvc.
    > > The phone company said that this upgrade is going to involve some
    > > router reconfiguration. I suspect that the bandwidth setting on the
    > > routers will have to be changed from 128k to 384k at three sites and
    > > from 56k to 128k at the other site. Is there any other setting that
    > > needs to be reconfigured? Does the 56k 4-wire csu/dsu hardware at the
    > > forth remote site have to be changed to a fractional T1 csu/dsu? Any
    > > help will be greatly appreciated.

    > Leroy,
    >
    > First, the 56k csu/dsu will most likely be swapped out. They are DS0 - a
    > different technology than the T1/FT1. There really isn't anything such as a
    > FT1 csu, there are just T1 csu/dsu that are configured to only use some of
    > the channels. A T1 is 24, 64k channels. So, for example, a 384k circuit is
    > just using 6 channels. You'll need a T1 csu to accomodate that circuit.
    >
    > Also, what you need to do depends on if you are using internal or external
    > csu's. Either way, they need to be reconfigured to reflect the appropriate
    > number of channels in use. If this is an internal unit, then you can do
    > this on your Cisco routers (service-module t1 timeslots under interface
    > config). The bandwidth command has nothing to do with configuring the T1
    > for connectivity. You do want to set it for other reasons (routing,
    > monitoring), but your T1 will work without it.
    >
    > Unless they are installing new circuits for you, you'll need to coordinate
    > the switch over, and most likely be on site, unless you have out of band
    > management of the units. You both will need to reconfigure your equipment
    > at the same time.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    >
    > Jim

    I would like to thank you very much for the information you provided.
    It was exactly what I needed. LeRoy

    LeRoy, Dec 2, 2004
  5. LeRoy

    LeRoy Guest

    "Phillip Remaker" <> wrote in message news:<hdxrd.27299$>...
    > > We presently have a Frame Relay network set up between headquarters
    > > and four remote sites. Three of the remote site routers, each of which
    > > are cisco 1721 routers with a fractional T1 csu/dsu, are going
    > > to be upgraded from 128k port to 384k port and 64k pvc to 256k pvc.

    > The PVC is no change (unless you do traffic shaping).
    >
    > For the FT1, you will need to inclear the number of "timeslots"
    >
    > Timeslots are in 64k increments. You currently have 2 and are going to 6.
    >
    > You will probably have something in the config that says something like
    > "timeslots 1-2" which will need to change to "timeslots 1-6" (assuming they
    > start the timeslots at one, which nearly everyone does). The command will
    > be under the serial inetrface, and will start out "service-module ..."
    >
    > service-module t1 timeslots 1-2
    >
    > should become
    >
    > service-module t1 timeslots 1-6
    >
    > > The fourth remote site router,which is a cisco 1721 router with
    > > a 56k 4-wire csu/dsu, is being upgraded to have T1.5 access, 128k port
    > > and from 32k pvc to 64k pvc.

    > This will require a change of hardware. 56k and T1 are totally different.
    > The part is "WIC-1DSU-T1"
    >

    > > The phone company said that this upgrade is going to involve some
    > > router reconfiguration. I suspect that the bandwidth setting on the
    > > routers will have to be changed from 128k to 384k at three sites and
    > > from 56k to 128k at the other site.

    > Well, the bandwidth copmmand is just administrative, and reported to some
    > rotuing protocols.
    >
    > > Does the 56k 4-wire csu/dsu hardware at the
    > > fourth remote site have to be changed to a fractional T1 csu/dsu?

    > Yes.

    I want to thank you very much for the information you provided. It was
    exactly what I needed. LeRoy

    LeRoy, Dec 2, 2004