Router/ computer security

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by A Brit in Canada, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a house
    move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on continouously. The other
    orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly, as it should. All the green
    LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional computers/peripherals connections are
    solid- again as they should be.
    I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at all.
    Is this indicative of a problem? I've checked the D-Link website FAQ's
    and no luck (I lost the manual). Their customer support line was too busy
    for me to hold on.
    My network functionality through the router is fine but I am
    particularly concerned about the firewall. Is there anyway I can test for
    this?

    2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a week) and
    the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this sufficient?
    There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/ practicality
    (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six condoms instead
    of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy, but it makes the
    enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the wearer!).

    What is the right balance?

    Your views gratefully received.

    Many thanks,
    Andy.
    A Brit in Canada, Jul 28, 2004

  2. A Brit in Canada <> wrote in

    > 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
    > week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
    > sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
    > practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
    > condoms instead of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy,
    > but it makes the enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the
    > wearer!).
    >
    > What is the right balance?

    Hmmmm.... I mean of course, computer security.... the number of condoms I
    have already worked out for myself!

    Andy.
    A Brit in Canada, Jul 28, 2004

  3. A Brit in Canada

    Duane Arnold Guest

    A Brit in Canada <> wrote in

    > 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a
    > house move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on
    > continouously. The other orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly,
    > as it should. All the green LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional
    > computers/peripherals connections are solid- again as they should be.
    > I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at
    > all.
    > Is this indicative of a problem? I've checked the D-Link website FAQ's
    > and no luck (I lost the manual). Their customer support line was too
    > busy for me to hold on.

    > My network functionality through the router is fine but I am
    > particularly concerned about the firewall. Is there anyway I can test
    > for this?
    >

    > 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
    > week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
    > sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
    > practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
    > condoms instead of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy,
    > but it makes the enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the
    > wearer!).

    What FW? The cheap NAT router for home use doesn't have a FW. At best, it
    has NAT and maybe SPI and has FW like features but is not a true FW and
    meets the specs in the link.

    They are good enough for home usage but can be defeated, especially when
    doing high risk things like port forwarding.

    A router with a true FW or FW appliance will meet the specs in the link.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_is_a_firewall.html

    And one of those will start around $350 for a low-end one.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 28, 2004
  4. A Brit in Canada

    Duane Arnold Guest

    A Brit in Canada <> wrote in

    > A Brit in Canada <> wrote in
    >
    >> 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
    >> week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
    >> sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
    >> practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
    >> condoms instead of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy,
    >> but it makes the enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the
    >> wearer!).
    >>
    >> What is the right balance?
    >>

    > Hmmmm.... I mean of course, computer security.... the number of
    > condoms I
    > have already worked out for myself!

    If the O/S is not secured, then nothing on the machine is secure. And the
    litte AV, spyware and router are secondary to it. That's if you have an
    O/S where security can be implemented.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    The buck stops at the O/S.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 28, 2004
  5. A Brit in Canada

    Rick Merrill Guest

    A Brit in Canada wrote:

    > 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a house
    > move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on continouously. The other
    > orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly, as it should. All the green
    > LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional computers/peripherals connections are
    > solid- again as they should be.
    > I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at all.
    > Is this indicative of a problem?

    I doubt it: M2 may indicate 100Mb (instead of 10Mb).

    > I've checked the D-Link website FAQ's
    > and no luck (I lost the manual).

    Check with Google.

    Your system seems well protected. - RM
    Rick Merrill, Jul 28, 2004
  6. A Brit in Canada

    trout Guest

    A Brit in Canada wrote:

    > 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a
    > house move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on
    > continouously. The other orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly,
    > as it should. All the green LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional
    > computers/peripherals connections are solid- again as they should be.
    > I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at
    > all. Is this indicative of a problem? I've checked the D-Link website
    > FAQ's
    > and no luck (I lost the manual). Their customer support line was too
    > busy for me to hold on.
    > My network functionality through the router is fine but I am
    > particularly concerned about the firewall. Is there anyway I can test
    > for this?
    >

    > 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
    > week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
    > sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
    > practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
    > condoms instead
    > of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy, but it makes the
    > enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the wearer!).
    >
    > What is the right balance?
    >
    > Your views gratefully received.
    >

    > Many thanks,
    > Andy.

    I'd suggest one or two things. Make use of some of the free programs
    that are frequently suggested in this newsgroup. There are a number of
    decent, free (to install and update) anti-virus programs. While you
    can't have more than one resident and active at once; it could be a good
    idea to have a second A/V installed to check individual files and the
    occasional system check. In a similar vein; there are easily a
    half-dozen good sites to perform an on-line virus/ malware scan. Never
    hurts to get a second opinion.
    You could also consider a software firewall. Again; many basic
    models are available for free; the most important consideration being
    attempts to 'phone home' by sneakyware that has been inadvertently
    installed. Once installed, and permissions set; this wouldn't be a great
    impediment to easy surfing; and could be a valuable clue if an unknown
    program suddenly requests net access.
    As for Adaware; it is a great program. Make sure that you also have
    all the available plug-ins. It's usually suggested, and I agree, that
    Spybot S&D (Search and Destroy) can and should be run in conjunction.
    It's another free program that covers much of the same territory as
    AdAware; but can also scan other file-sets such as usage tracks, as well
    as having a few other optional security settings: for example; locking
    the home page and Internet Options settings, handling Flash permission,
    et cetera.
    Another 'must-have' freeware program is SpywareBlaster. This is a
    program that will *prevent* known malware programs from being downloaded
    to begin with. It also has a number of other security features that can
    be customized by the user.
    Finally, I also like to use a 'gatekeeper'-type program. My personal
    favourite is WinPatrol (also free). It can keep track, in Real Time, of
    programs added, or added to start-up, commands to change the Registry on
    reboot, as well as a being a decent cookie-handler.
    The programs that I've mentioned are, again, free. Once configured,
    they either operate silently in the background (unless something Odd is
    happening) or on demand, only. For me; it's all about knowing what's
    going on. These are a good set of basics to that end. If you are
    interested in any programs mentioned; they're easy to find with a
    Google, or by searching the group (all have been mentioned frequently).
    If you *do* have questions, or need links, I'd be happy to help with
    specifics.
    Anyhow that's my 1.25 cents worth (Cnd.).
    --
    "Signature power low. Replace batteri"
    trout, Jul 29, 2004