    Can you tell me if the router will have problems without its firewall?
    Thanks
    , Oct 16, 2006

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I have just bought Netgear DG834GT. I'd like to disable the router
    > firewall and to install Outpost firewall. I know well Outpost and I'd
    > like to use it.
    > Can you tell me if the router will have problems without its firewall?
    > Thanks

    Are you serious? Outpost is not even a FW solution. Outpost is a machine
    level personal packet filter. A FW separates two networks. A FW protects
    from the network it's protecting from usually the Internet and protects the
    network it's protecting the LAN. The LAN can be a single or multiple
    machines behind the router.

    The NAT router is a border device, the first device behind the modem , and
    is the first line of defense from the attacks from the Internet for a home
    user, by not forwarding unsolicited inbound traffic to a machine on the LAN.
    NAT in that regard acts in a FW like manner, but NAT is not FW software. If
    that router has additional implemented FW software such as SPI or other such
    software in the router's firmware acting in a FW like manner, then you
    should NOT be trying to disable it.

    This link talks about the protection that a NAT router provides and you
    should let the NAT router do its job.

    This link talks about *what does a Internet/network FW do?*, whether that be
    a host based or appliance based solution such as a packet filtering FW
    router or FW appliance, which a personal FW/packet filter is not FW
    software.

    http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/firewalls1.html

    This link talks about FW solutions and at the bottom, it again. talks about
    the personal FW/packet filter and why it's not FW software, just an
    impersonator.

    http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

    However, the link talks about wireless protection, which a personal packet
    filter such as Outpost running on the machine can protect from a wireless
    hacker joining your wireless network and attacking machine wired or
    wireless.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    If you have any common sense, you'll not disable anything on that NAT router
    that's providing protection from the Internet.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    THANKS a lot for your pleasant news.

    >Are you serious? Outpost is not even a FW solution. Outpost is a machine
    >level personal packet filter. A FW separates two networks. A FW protects
    >from the network it's protecting from usually the Internet and protects the
    >network it's protecting the LAN. The LAN can be a single or multiple
    >machines behind the router.
    >
    >The NAT router is a border device, the first device behind the modem , and
    >is the first line of defense from the attacks from the Internet for a home
    >user, by not forwarding unsolicited inbound traffic to a machine on the LAN.
    >NAT in that regard acts in a FW like manner, but NAT is not FW software. If
    >that router has additional implemented FW software such as SPI or other such
    >software in the router's firmware acting in a FW like manner, then you
    >should NOT be trying to disable it.
    >
    >This link talks about the protection that a NAT router provides and you
    >should let the NAT router do its job.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    >This link talks about *what does a Internet/network FW do?*, whether that be
    >a host based or appliance based solution such as a packet filtering FW
    >router or FW appliance, which a personal FW/packet filter is not FW
    >software.
    >
    >http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/firewalls1.html
    >
    >This link talks about FW solutions and at the bottom, it again. talks about
    >the personal FW/packet filter and why it's not FW software, just an
    >impersonator.
    >
    >http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
    >
    >However, the link talks about wireless protection, which a personal packet
    >filter such as Outpost running on the machine can protect from a wireless
    >hacker joining your wireless network and attacking machine wired or
    >wireless.
    >
    >http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm
    >
    >If you have any common sense, you'll not disable anything on that NAT router
    >that's providing protection from the Internet.
    >
    >Duane :)

    , Oct 16, 2006