Router Booted to Weird Prompt

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tman, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. tman

    tman Guest

    I have a two Cisco 2500 routers in my practice lab. My lab lost power
    and the routers rebooted. One of them came up with this prompt:

    When I type h I get this listing of commands:

    $ Toggle cache state
    B [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
    Load and execute system image from ROM or from TFTP
    server
    C [address] Continue execution [optional address]
    D /S M L V Deposit value V of size S into location L with modifier M
    E /S M L Examine location L with size S with modifier M
    G [address] Begin execution
    H Help for commands
    I Initialize
    K Stack trace
    L [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
    Load system image from ROM or from TFTP server, but do
    not
    begin execution
    O Show configuration register option settings
    P Set the break point
    S Single step next instruction
    T function Test device (? for help)

    Deposit and Examine sizes may be B (byte), L (long) or S (short).
    Modifiers may be R (register) or S (byte swap).
    Register names are: D0-D7, A0-A6, SS, US, SR, and PC

    Does anyone know what causes this? Also, how to get back to normal
    i.e., booting and loading my config from NVRAM?

    Thanks
    tman, Jan 23, 2008

  2. tman

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article
    <>,
    tman <> wrote:

    > I have a two Cisco 2500 routers in my practice lab. My lab lost power
    > and the routers rebooted. One of them came up with this prompt:
    >

    > When I type h I get this listing of commands:

    > $ Toggle cache state
    > B [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
    > Load and execute system image from ROM or from TFTP
    > server
    > C [address] Continue execution [optional address]
    > D /S M L V Deposit value V of size S into location L with modifier M
    > E /S M L Examine location L with size S with modifier M
    > G [address] Begin execution
    > H Help for commands
    > I Initialize
    > K Stack trace
    > L [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
    > Load system image from ROM or from TFTP server, but do
    > not
    > begin execution
    > O Show configuration register option settings
    > P Set the break point
    > S Single step next instruction
    > T function Test device (? for help)
    >
    > Deposit and Examine sizes may be B (byte), L (long) or S (short).
    > Modifiers may be R (register) or S (byte swap).
    > Register names are: D0-D7, A0-A6, SS, US, SR, and PC
    > >

    > Does anyone know what causes this? Also, how to get back to normal
    > i.e., booting and loading my config from NVRAM?

    Your router is in the ROM monitor. It may be that the firmware is
    corrupt or that the config register is set wrongly, or that your
    terminal has sent a break at the wrong moment. The console messages
    before the '>' prompt should tell you which it is. Try typing B to boot
    again and see what happens; alternatively if you're familiar with config
    register manipulation then try the O command and set the config register
    - 0x2102 is the usual value. Search www.cisco.com for "rom monitor
    2500" for more advice.

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, Jan 23, 2008

  3. tman

    tman Guest

    On Jan 23, 8:57 am, Sam Wilson <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  tman <> wrote:
    > > I have a two Cisco 2500 routers in my practice lab.  My lab lost power
    > > and the routers rebooted.  One of them came up with this prompt:

    > > When I type h I get this listing of commands:

    > > $            Toggle cache state
    > > B [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
    > >              Load and execute system image from ROM or from TFTP
    > > server
    > > C [address]  Continue execution [optional address]
    > > D /S M L V   Deposit value V of size S into location L with modifier M
    > > E /S M L     Examine location L with size S with modifier M
    > > G [address]  Begin execution
    > > H            Help for commands
    > > I            Initialize
    > > K            Stack trace
    > > L [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
    > >              Load system image from ROM or from TFTP server, but do
    > > not
    > >              begin execution
    > > O            Show configuration register option settings
    > > P            Set the break point
    > > S            Single step next instruction
    > > T function   Test device (? for help)

    > > Deposit and Examine sizes may be B (byte), L (long) or S (short).
    > > Modifiers may be R (register) or S (byte swap).
    > > Register names are: D0-D7, A0-A6, SS, US, SR, and PC

    > > Does anyone know what causes this?  Also, how to get back to normal
    > > i.e., booting and loading my config from NVRAM?

    > Your router is in the ROM monitor.  It may be that the firmware is
    > corrupt or that the config register is set wrongly, or that your
    > terminal has sent a break at the wrong moment.  The console messages
    > before the '>' prompt should tell you which it is.  Try typing B to boot
    > again and see what happens; alternatively if you're familiar with config
    > register manipulation then try the O command and set the config register
    > - 0x2102 is the usual value.  Searchwww.cisco.comfor "rom monitor
    > 2500" for more advice.
    >
    > Sam- Hide quoted text -

    I did this and I am back in business. I typed B and it booted into
    boot> I did a show ver and found that the register had mysteriously
    changed from 0x2102. I changed it, reloaded with no to saving changes
    and it came up in user exec mode.

    Thanks
    tman, Jan 23, 2008