    as a dchp server distributing IP addresses to about 20 clients? Will
    the routers overall performance suffer by it also acting as a dhcp
    server? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, LeRoy.
    LeRoy, Apr 14, 2004

  2. (LeRoy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there any type of memory issue in a 1700 series cisco router acting
    > as a dchp server distributing IP addresses to about 20 clients? Will
    > the routers overall performance suffer by it also acting as a dhcp
    > server? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, LeRoy.

    We ran a 1710 in a remote office for about 6-7 months (the office is
    now incorporated into the mmain network) acting as a DHCP server,
    handling about 20 workstations. The 1710 was also terminating a VPN
    connection (with another 1710 as the peer over a wireless link), so it
    had more work to do than just routing and acting as a DHCP server.

    There were no apparent problems with this set-up over the whole of
    that time.

    Pete
    Pete Mainwaring, Apr 14, 2004

  3. LeRoy

    rowl Guest

    (LeRoy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there any type of memory issue in a 1700 series cisco router acting
    > as a dchp server distributing IP addresses to about 20 clients? Will
    > the routers overall performance suffer by it also acting as a dhcp
    > server? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, LeRoy.

    If I remember correctly the 1750s brochure claims it can handle upto
    500 users when not using encryption. So 20 users using dhcp should not
    be a bother

    Rgrds
    Rahul S
    rowl, Apr 14, 2004
  4. LeRoy

    Geert Guest

    You can see memory requirements of the DHCP server with "sh ip dhcp
    server stat", but i think the router can handle 20 clients with NO problem.
    You can also change the DHCP lease time to lower the load on the DHCP
    server (refresh IPs every 10 days in stead of every 10 minutes...)

    Regards,
    Geert

    Geert, Apr 18, 2004