    the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?

    If so, is there any special configuration required.

    Thanks for any info.

    Craig, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Craig

    SteveM Guest

    Craig <> wrote in
    news::

    > Can a four-port ADSL router also act as a hub to allow networking of
    > the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?

    Yes of Course

    > If so, is there any special configuration required.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    If the router supports DHCP then it may be useful to enable that
    and let your boxes get IP adresses (and the default gateway IP) off the
    router.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Dec 8, 2003

  3. On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:17:29 +1300, Craig wrote:

    > Can a four-port ADSL router also act as a hub to allow networking of
    > the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?

    Yes. It's just a router with built in hub.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 8, 2003
  4. In article <>, Craig <> wrote:
    >Can a four-port ADSL router also act as a hub to allow networking of
    >the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?

    *SNIP*

    It's an ADSL router with a four-port switch (almost certainly a switch),
    so you just plug the computers in and, voila, you have a switched
    network.

    The router can probably act as a DHCP server also, so if you enable that
    you will then be able to plug computers into the network and they will
    be given IP addresses and all the other information necessary to make
    use of the DSL connection as well as talk to each other.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Craig

    Craig Guest

    On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:43:08 GMT, (Matthew Poole)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Craig <> wrote:
    >>Can a four-port ADSL router also act as a hub to allow networking of
    >>the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?
    >>

    >*SNIP*
    >
    >It's an ADSL router with a four-port switch (almost certainly a switch),
    >so you just plug the computers in and, voila, you have a switched
    >network.
    >
    >The router can probably act as a DHCP server also, so if you enable that
    >you will then be able to plug computers into the network and they will
    >be given IP addresses and all the other information necessary to make
    >use of the DSL connection as well as talk to each other.

    Thanks to the three people who contributed a reply to my query. Yes
    DHCP was already enabled.

    One thing though, when I ran through the steps of the Windows XP
    Network Setup Wizard, telling it I was using ADSL and that each PC
    connected to the ADSL hub, it came up with the following warning:

    "The network configuration is not recommended because more than one
    computer connects directly to the Internet. There is no reliable way
    to share files between computers while protecting your computer from
    Internet security threats.

    Microsoft recommends a network in which all computers connect to the
    Internet through a single computer or through a residential gateway.

    This wizard will enable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on this
    computer. ICF will protect this computer from Internet security
    threats, but it might also prevent this computer from sharing files
    with others computers on your network."

    So, I'm really still confused, it seems a four port ADSL modem can
    have four PC's connected to it, and share files; but according to
    Microsoft it's unsafe to do so without exposing your files to the
    Internet.

    Can anyone comment on this? On the face of it, it seems I need to
    connect all PC's firstly to a seperate ethernet hub, and then have a
    single connection from the hub to the ADSL router.

    Craig, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Craig

    DUser Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:04:53 +1300, Craig wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:43:08 GMT, (Matthew Poole)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Craig <> wrote:
    >>>Can a four-port ADSL router also act as a hub to allow networking of
    >>>the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?
    >>>

    >>*SNIP*
    >>
    >>It's an ADSL router with a four-port switch (almost certainly a switch),
    >>so you just plug the computers in and, voila, you have a switched
    >>network.
    >>
    >>The router can probably act as a DHCP server also, so if you enable that
    >>you will then be able to plug computers into the network and they will
    >>be given IP addresses and all the other information necessary to make
    >>use of the DSL connection as well as talk to each other.

    > Thanks to the three people who contributed a reply to my query. Yes
    > DHCP was already enabled.
    >
    > One thing though, when I ran through the steps of the Windows XP
    > Network Setup Wizard, telling it I was using ADSL and that each PC
    > connected to the ADSL hub, it came up with the following warning:
    >
    > "The network configuration is not recommended because more than one
    > computer connects directly to the Internet. There is no reliable way
    > to share files between computers while protecting your computer from
    > Internet security threats.
    >
    > Microsoft recommends a network in which all computers connect to the
    > Internet through a single computer or through a residential gateway.
    >
    > This wizard will enable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on this
    > computer. ICF will protect this computer from Internet security
    > threats, but it might also prevent this computer from sharing files
    > with others computers on your network."
    >
    > So, I'm really still confused, it seems a four port ADSL modem can
    > have four PC's connected to it, and share files; but according to
    > Microsoft it's unsafe to do so without exposing your files to the
    > Internet.
    >
    > Can anyone comment on this? On the face of it, it seems I need to
    > connect all PC's firstly to a seperate ethernet hub, and then have a
    > single connection from the hub to the ADSL router.

    You are not connecting directly to a hub on the internet
    The router is a substitute for the firewall.
    The 4 port switched hub is firewalled from the ADSL interface within the
    router with NAT (Network Address Translation) in firmware.

    DUser, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Craig

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:04:53 +1300, Craig wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:43:08 GMT, (Matthew Poole)
    > > wrote:

    > >>*SNIP*
    > >>
    > >>It's an ADSL router with a four-port switch (almost certainly a switch),
    > >>so you just plug the computers in and, voila, you have a switched
    > >>network.
    > >>
    > >>The router can probably act as a DHCP server also, so if you enable that
    > >>you will then be able to plug computers into the network and they will
    > >>be given IP addresses and all the other information necessary to make
    > >>use of the DSL connection as well as talk to each other.

    > > Thanks to the three people who contributed a reply to my query. Yes
    > > DHCP was already enabled.
    > >
    > > One thing though, when I ran through the steps of the Windows XP
    > > Network Setup Wizard, telling it I was using ADSL and that each PC
    > > connected to the ADSL hub, it came up with the following warning:
    > >
    > > "The network configuration is not recommended because more than one
    > > computer connects directly to the Internet. There is no reliable way
    > > to share files between computers while protecting your computer from
    > > Internet security threats.
    > >
    > > Microsoft recommends a network in which all computers connect to the
    > > Internet through a single computer or through a residential gateway.
    > >
    > > This wizard will enable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on this
    > > computer. ICF will protect this computer from Internet security
    > > threats, but it might also prevent this computer from sharing files
    > > with others computers on your network."
    > >
    > > So, I'm really still confused, it seems a four port ADSL modem can
    > > have four PC's connected to it, and share files; but according to
    > > Microsoft it's unsafe to do so without exposing your files to the
    > > Internet.
    > >
    > > Can anyone comment on this? On the face of it, it seems I need to
    > > connect all PC's firstly to a seperate ethernet hub, and then have a
    > > single connection from the hub to the ADSL router.

    > You are not connecting directly to a hub on the internet
    > The router is a substitute for the firewall.

    It is no firewall - other than just port blocking (and that's just ON or
    OFF). A software firewall should be infront of that, and aware of
    things that only a software firewall can be aware of (destination
    clients, destination or orgin apps, protocols)).

    Hence the Microsoft warning (I've never seen it myself) - but it's a
    good warning. Each machine must (in the setup described) be
    individually firewalled - and this can create local net traffic
    problems.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Craig

    DUser Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:43:13 +1300, T-Boy wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:04:53 +1300, Craig wrote:

    >> > Thanks to the three people who contributed a reply to my query. Yes
    >> > DHCP was already enabled.
    >> >
    >> > One thing though, when I ran through the steps of the Windows XP
    >> > Network Setup Wizard, telling it I was using ADSL and that each PC
    >> > connected to the ADSL hub, it came up with the following warning:
    >> >
    >> > "The network configuration is not recommended because more than one
    >> > computer connects directly to the Internet. There is no reliable way
    >> > to share files between computers while protecting your computer from
    >> > Internet security threats.
    >> >
    >> > Microsoft recommends a network in which all computers connect to the
    >> > Internet through a single computer or through a residential gateway.
    >> >
    >> > This wizard will enable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on this
    >> > computer. ICF will protect this computer from Internet security
    >> > threats, but it might also prevent this computer from sharing files
    >> > with others computers on your network."
    >> >
    >> > So, I'm really still confused, it seems a four port ADSL modem can
    >> > have four PC's connected to it, and share files; but according to
    >> > Microsoft it's unsafe to do so without exposing your files to the
    >> > Internet.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone comment on this? On the face of it, it seems I need to
    >> > connect all PC's firstly to a seperate ethernet hub, and then have a
    >> > single connection from the hub to the ADSL router.

    >> You are not connecting directly to a hub on the internet
    >> The router is a substitute for the firewall.

    > It is no firewall - other than just port blocking (and that's just ON or
    > OFF). A software firewall should be infront of that, and aware of
    > things that only a software firewall can be aware of (destination
    > clients, destination or orgin apps, protocols)).
    >
    > Hence the Microsoft warning (I've never seen it myself) - but it's a
    > good warning. Each machine must (in the setup described) be
    > individually firewalled - and this can create local net traffic
    > problems.

    In the context of Microsofts advisory prompt, its a "residential gateway"

    DUser, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Craig

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:43:08 GMT, (Matthew Poole)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Craig <> wrote:
    >>>Can a four-port ADSL router also act as a hub to allow networking of
    >>>the PC's connected to it, whilst also acting as an ADSL router?
    >>>

    >>*SNIP*
    >>
    >>It's an ADSL router with a four-port switch (almost certainly a switch),
    >>so you just plug the computers in and, voila, you have a switched
    >>network.
    >>
    >>The router can probably act as a DHCP server also, so if you enable that
    >>you will then be able to plug computers into the network and they will
    >>be given IP addresses and all the other information necessary to make
    >>use of the DSL connection as well as talk to each other.

    >Thanks to the three people who contributed a reply to my query. Yes
    >DHCP was already enabled.
    >
    >One thing though, when I ran through the steps of the Windows XP
    >Network Setup Wizard, telling it I was using ADSL and that each PC
    >connected to the ADSL hub, it came up with the following warning:
    >
    >"The network configuration is not recommended because more than one
    >computer connects directly to the Internet. There is no reliable way
    >to share files between computers while protecting your computer from
    >Internet security threats.
    >
    >Microsoft recommends a network in which all computers connect to the
    >Internet through a single computer or through a residential gateway.
    >
    >This wizard will enable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on this
    >computer. ICF will protect this computer from Internet security
    >threats, but it might also prevent this computer from sharing files
    >with others computers on your network."
    >
    >So, I'm really still confused, it seems a four port ADSL modem can
    >have four PC's connected to it, and share files; but according to
    >Microsoft it's unsafe to do so without exposing your files to the
    >Internet.
    >
    >Can anyone comment on this? On the face of it, it seems I need to
    >connect all PC's firstly to a seperate ethernet hub, and then have a
    >single connection from the hub to the ADSL router.

    It's not actually an "ADSL Hub" Craig, it is an ADSL router with a
    built-in hub.... they're two separate devices in one box. Is also a
    5port hub, the router is connected to an internal hub port.

    You also mention it as an ADSL Modem.... that's different than an ADSL
    Router. Anything with a built-in hub & which has a DHCP server is
    amost certainly a router rather than a modem so you don't need to use
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ICS is just a software router that
    one uses in the absence of a hardware router.

    If DHCP is enabled on the router then you don't need to use the XP
    wizard on any of your machines... they should connect automatically.
    DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. What it does is
    automatically configure a workstation with all the network settings
    that it requires, including IP address, gateway & DNS server.

    There's two steps involved - getting the PCs to use the router as the
    gateway to the internet, and getting the router to connect to your
    ISP. DHCP does the first part for you. Most ADSL routers with DHCP
    have it enabled by default. If your PC is configured to get an IP
    address automatically, which is the default setting for XP, then it
    will get its IP and internet settings from the routers DHCP server
    when XP starts up.

    To set the router up to connect to the internet you fire up your web
    browser and enter the IP addess of the router in the address bar. (The
    routers IP address is in the user guide) You'll see the router's
    configuration page, enter user name & password for your ISP & you're
    away...with most of the common routers anyway.

    Some routers have a setup program that does all the internet/ISP stuff
    for you. If yours is like that then you run that & all your PCs should
    connect to the internet automatically via DHCP settings. You can
    cancel out of the IE wizard if it starts up, just tick the box that
    says 'don't ask me again'. If you've already set up ICS then you may
    need to run the wizard again & set everything back to defaults.

    As far as security goes, you're safe enough behind a router. To enable
    multiple PCs to share a single internet connection the router uses
    network address translation, NAT for short. The only device seen on
    the internet is the router, your PCs are not open to the world because
    the router effectively hides them. NAT makes a pretty good firewall
    until it's pinholed, you've no concerns there (except for the usual
    email-borne worms & viruses) Do however change the default admin
    password on the router, and (preferably) disable remote administration
    if it's enabled on the router.

    Hopefully I haven't confused you more ;-)

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Dec 12, 2003