ROUTER AND USB FRUSTRATIONS - HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by graham.kettles@ntlworld.com, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.

    Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
    and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.

    My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
    be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
    thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.

    So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?

    Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
    machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?

    Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.

    PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
    when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?

    Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
    internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
    Graham

    , Dec 16, 2004

  2. Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    <> opined very
    noisily:
    > I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
    >
    > Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
    > and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
    >
    > My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
    > be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
    > thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
    >
    > So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?
    >
    > Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
    > machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
    >
    > Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
    >
    > PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
    > when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
    >
    > Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
    > internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
    > Graham

    Best place to ask would be an internal NTL networking group
    I am with Blueyonder , with a Motorola SB 4100 modem . use a Belkin 4 port
    wired router and I connect it via Ethernet not USB
    Have you got an ethernet port on your Mobo (s) if so it could be easy
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Jerry G. Guest

    All network systems normally use Ethernet. All PC sold today come with an
    Ethernet facility as a standard option. If your machines do not have an
    Ethernet card, go out and get one. Install the cards, and run the
    driver-set-up disk that comes with the cards.

    You will also have to buy the necessary patch cables for all your hardware.
    For your high speed modem there will be some set-ups to do in the router,
    and most likely in the modem that will have to be done. The modem should be
    connected to the WAN port on the back of the router.

    As for the networking set-up in your machines, the default should normally
    work. In your browser, and email software, you will have to tell it that you
    are not using a dialup service, if you are using a high speed modem
    connected to the router. You will therefore be using the LAN option.

    This is the industry standard that is used for connecting PC's together, and
    also using broadband internet service.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Dec 16, 2004
  4. Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
    >
    > Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
    > and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
    >
    > My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
    > be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
    > thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
    >
    > So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?
    >
    > Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
    > machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
    >
    > Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
    >
    > PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
    > when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
    >
    > Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
    > internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
    > Graham

    buy a couple of ethernet cards, they can be found for as little as four
    quid a go.

    Ethernet is a much superior way of connecting broadband equipment than
    USB anyway, and Windows will usually recognise/configure the cards
    automatically. Any decent (IOW not PCWorld) computer shop will have them
    in stock along with the cables if you need any.

    FR

    me here at www.flyingrat.net

    Flying Rat, Dec 16, 2004
  5. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
    >
    > Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
    > and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
    >
    > My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
    > be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
    > thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
    >
    > So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?
    >
    > Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
    > machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
    >
    > Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
    >
    > PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
    > when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
    >
    > Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
    > internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
    > Graham

    Most computers built in the past 4 - 5 years have an NIC port, but if
    yours doesn't:

    You could buy some adapters: http://makeashorterlink.com/?V24455B0A

    but cards would be cheaper: http://makeashorterlink.com/?F27426B0A

    SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Guest

    Well thanks a lot flying rat for such a quick and good answer mate.

    Can I be really chheky and ask you to suggest a name of an ethernet
    card and a supplier (I would normally just go to PC world - mug that I
    am). Also can I install these myself ?

    Flying Rat wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
    > >
    > > Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes

    computer
    > > and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
    > >
    > > My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem

    > > be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
    > > thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
    > >
    > > So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do

    now?

    > > Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
    > > machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
    > >
    > > Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
    > >
    > > PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal

    even
    > > when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
    > >
    > > Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
    > > internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
    > > Graham
    > >

    > buy a couple of ethernet cards, they can be found for as little as

    four
    > quid a go.
    >
    > Ethernet is a much superior way of connecting broadband equipment

    than
    > USB anyway, and Windows will usually recognise/configure the cards
    > automatically. Any decent (IOW not PCWorld) computer shop will have

    them
    > in stock along with the cables if you need any.
    >
    > FR
    > --
    >
    > me here at www.flyingrat.net

    , Dec 16, 2004
  7. Guest

    Thanks a lot Jerry. Most helpful. I am on NTL BROADBAND. Can you
    recommend an ethernet card for both machines by any chance. And can I
    install these myself ?

    For patch cables. I assume I need three ethernet (CAT 5 ?) cables one
    for each PC to the router and one from the modem to the router ?

    Will I have to re-install my NTL connection from scratch as well?
    Sorry for the dumbo questions mate.

    Graham

    , Dec 16, 2004
  8. In article <> wrote:

    >Thanks a lot Jerry. Most helpful. I am on NTL BROADBAND. Can you
    >recommend an ethernet card for both machines by any chance. And can I
    >install these myself ?
    >
    >For patch cables. I assume I need three ethernet (CAT 5 ?) cables one
    >for each PC to the router and one from the modem to the router ?

    No. You're not doing a reality check. You're wasting bandwidth and
    trolling for support.

    >Will I have to re-install my NTL connection from scratch as well?
    >Sorry for the dumbo questions mate.

    No, I don't read minds or know other's motives. I leave that job for
    idiots who have nothing better to do than show their asses in public.

    >Graham

    Another thinly-veiled attempt to feign intelligence.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Oh look, LC has a RL fan boi!" -- Iceman

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Look for a NIC with a Realtek chipset. Just my 2ยข....

    chiseled in stone, the following words

    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 16, 2004