    Thanks for any advice.

    Cheers

    Pete
    Pete, Nov 1, 2005

  2. No - the router has nothing to do with enabling browsing. In order to 'see'
    the computers on a network the computers must have NetBIOS enabled and at
    least one of them must have the computer browser service running. If all of
    the computers have the browser service disabled, there will be no master
    browser and no server list to 'see'. If there are no browsers on the
    network, you should still be able to connect to a remote computer by
    Start/Run \\<computername>.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have successfully migrated my wired ICS LAN to a wireless LAN using a

    3Com
    > OfficeConnect router. There are 3 PCs in the network : a desktop running

    XP
    > Pro SP2 (which used to be the "server" with the master browser), a laptop
    > also running XP Pro SP2 and another laptop running XP Home SP2. The

    browser
    > service on the laptops is disabled. The only (minor) problem I appear to
    > have is that because the browser service on the laptops is disabled, they
    > both fail to "see" the network when the desktop is not running. I can
    > manually create network shortcuts but its a bit of a pain. Should the

    router

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Nov 3, 2005

  3. Pete

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    Thanks,

    I suppose I shouldn't expect miracles from XP networking.

    Cheers

    Peter

    message de news:%...

    Pete Kennedy, Nov 3, 2005