Router and Internet Video Camera

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Macroman, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. Macroman

    Macroman Guest

    Hoping someone can help with this.

    I have set up my router so that I can access it outside of my network such
    as when I am at work. When I am at work I type in my WAN IP address and I
    can then see my Belkin Wireless Router setup utility page, the same page
    which I can see when I type in the LAN IP when I am at home, so far so good.

    Q: When I am on my computer at home and type in the WAN IP, Internet
    Exlporer says page cannot be found, why is this?

    I then purchased an Internet Wireless Video Camera (LinkSYS Model WVC54GC) ,
    I set this up hard wired LAN and it installed correctly, I then removed the
    LAN cable and checked it worked wirelessly it did, I even moved it around
    the house all working fine. I can view the camera either using the LAN IP
    address of the camera 192.168.2.115 (I made this static) and also using the
    windows application.

    Q: Now when I am at work and type in my WAN IP address, instead of seeing my
    Router home page I see the LINKSYS camera configuration page where I can
    view the camera, why is this?

    I do of course wish to be able to see the camera video while at work but was
    expecting to see Router page.

    When I returned home I can access my Belkin Router home page using the LAN
    IP address of 192.168.2.1.
    I can also access the LINKSYS home page configuration using 192.168.2.115.
    What puzzles me now is that when I type in my WAN IP on my home network , I
    can now see the cameras LINKSYS configuration webpage, where as per first
    question when I typed in my WAN IP I could not see the Belkin Router setup
    page.

    I know a little about networking but not enough about how to configure my
    network so I can see both Router and Camera setup pages when I am at work.
    Q: How can I achieve this so that when I am at work I can do one or the
    other , view my router and view my camera with different IP's?

    All I know about the camera during setup is that it is using PORT 80.
    And as for my Belkin router on the System Settings then Remote Managment
    Page the remote port says 80.

    It is very frustrating for me knowing that I do not know 100% what I am
    doing and difficult for me to mess about with settings , go to work , test
    it , come home change it ,go to work try again.
    Q: Can you imagine how long this would take me?

    I would ideally like to configure at home and then test at home so that when
    I goto work I know I can type in my WAN IP in the address bar and get my
    router and/or type in the WAN IP ??? and then see the camera.

    I cannot change the camera's port number because I do not know how, it wont
    let me key anything in, so I think this is hard coded within the cameras
    firmware.

    O/S = Win Xp Media
    Belkin Router = F5D7632-4
    Camera = LinkSYS WVC54GC-UK

    many thanks

    Macroman
    Macroman, Jun 29, 2007

  2. As there hasn't been a reply in a day, I try to offer some of the answers:

    > Q: When I am on my computer at home and type in the WAN IP, Internet
    > Exlporer says page cannot be found, why is this?

    Your router does not have loop-back capabilities. So you need to be outside
    your LAN to be able to use your WAN IP.
    Some modem/routers do have loop-back, others don't.

    > Q: Now when I am at work and type in my WAN IP address, instead of
    > seeing my Router home page I see the LINKSYS camera configuration
    > page where I can view the camera, why is this?

    Both are using port 80.
    The linksys has an inbuilt web server, which very likely takes preference.
    The port may even be forwarded to the camera already.

    The way around this is to change your router's page to some other port, say
    88.

    Then you would choose to see your routers setup page from outside your LAN
    (your browser address pointing to the new port) like this:
    http://your.public.ip:88

    It is likely, that your ports can be changed within the linksys setup as
    well.
    Wally Wombat jun., Jul 1, 2007