    What are the benefits of having my router and modem in one box?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    LincolnShep, Nov 8, 2006

  2. One advantage of a separate router is you don't have a single point of
    failure like you do with a combination device. For example if your router
    fails you can connect directly to the modem with a PC and still get online.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 8, 2006

  3. LincolnShep

    David Hettel Guest

    My perception of one problem, is the combo boxes are seldom updated. Because
    both the ISP and the maker of the box must test and approve any firmware
    changes, my experience is minor problems just don't get fixed. As wireless
    features are constantly evolving and changing you're much more likely to
    have the highest network speed, with greatest range with separate boxes.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Hi

    I think that buying a Combo Modem/Router is a No No.

    1. The Router part of the All Combos is usually very mediocre unit (I.e.
    bellow the state of the Art).
    2. If either part (modem or Router) brakes, the whole thing has to go.
    3. Modem technology is much slower to change than Routers. Routers,
    especially with Wireless, changed already two or three times, and would
    change next year again, while the Modem stays the same.
    However, on the positive side you save "Big" ;) on one plastic Box (instead
    of having two plastic boxes).
    What to do?
    Get a Good Wireless Cable/DSL Router, if the current combo can be configured
    as a Modem only, do so, and use the Router as a Wireless Router.

    Otherwise, configure the New Wireless Router as an Access Point and connect
    it to the current Modem/Router.

    Here is how - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Example for a Good Router for little money,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 8, 2006