Router + Access Point

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Capt K Ripendran, May 5, 2009.

  1. I have a Compaq Presario desktop pre-loaded with Win XP Home Edition . It
    now has SP3.
    I also have a Dell desktop and a Acer notebook - all with Win XP SP3. I have
    a 256 Kpbs broadband connection. I have a 4 port Black Box wired Router with
    Wired connections to all three PC's. I now want to shift the Notebook to
    another room where it is not practicable to have a wired connection. So, I
    got a D-Link wireless Router to use as an Access Point.
    I have followed the instructions given in the D-Link User Manual to use it
    as a wireless access point by connecting it to Black Box Ethernet Router.

    DSL Modem's LAN IP Address is:192.168.1.1
    The Internet IP Address is: 192.168.1.2
    LAN IP Address of Black Box Router is: 192.168.2.1
    LAN IP Address of D-Link Router is: 192 168.0.1

    Using the Configuration utility, I had changed the settings of D-Link
    Router(Access Point) to the same as that of the Main Router (Black Box). It
    works well but occasionally there is conflict between the Dell and the Acer
    and I am unable to access the WebPages!

    What could be the reason and what is the solution?

    Thanking you
    Regards
    Capt K Ripendran
    Capt K Ripendran, May 5, 2009

  2. Capt K Ripendran

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    The IP numbers indicate that you have three Routers and three independent
    Networks.
    Your Modem is probably a Modem/Router, creating a network with Subnet
    192.168.1.x
    Your Black Box creating a second network with Subnet 192.168.2.x, and your
    D-Link is probably Not configured correctly as an Access Point and creating
    a third subnet 192.168.0.x.
    I am Not familiar with your black Box installation and if it is working OK
    leave it as is. However you D-link should be configured following the info
    on this page.
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 5, 2009

  3. Yes, you are right. It is a Modem/Router and it says at the back as under:
    Features:1Eth+1USB;ADSL2+Router.

    As advised in EZLAN.NET page, I had already tried to set up the Wireless
    Router as an Access Point and occasionally it worked. I understood the First
    & Second Step but perhaps, I did not understand the Steps correctly! Under
    First Step it says to "change the IP Address of the Router (D-Link) so that
    it's in the same subnet as the main Router (Black Box) the one that is
    connected to the Internet Modem. So, I opened the D-Link's Configuration
    Utility by entering http://192.168.0.1 and changed it to 192.168.2.1 - the
    same as that of the main Router and also unchecked UPnP and DHCP Server.

    So, where have I gone wrong?!

    Thanks again
    Regards
    Capt K Ripendran

    Capt K Ripendran, May 6, 2009
  4. Capt K Ripendran

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Subnet is the first three groups of numbers. The last group is specific to
    the Network device. Each device Must have its own unique number (the last
    group). if the Main Router is 192.168.2.1 the D-link should be (example)
    192.168.2.10

    Jack-MVP, May 6, 2009
  5. Capt K Ripendran

    Benedictum Guest