    into.

    Thanks for any advice you can share,
    Tim

    Tim, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Tim

    Trendkill Guest

    On Apr 12, 9:45 am, "Tim" <> wrote:
    > Hi. I have added a Cisco Aironet 1100 to our environment to work with
    > Skype wireless phones. I would like to limit the bandwidth that the
    > Aironet 1100 can consume so that the Skype phones do not slow down our
    > network.
    >
    > 2801 Router ------ Catalyst 3550 ------- Aironet 1100
    >
    > Does someone know how I could add a rule to our 2801 router to limit
    > the bandwidth that the Aironet 1100 can take up? I don't think it is
    > possible to add a rule on the Aironet 1100 itself to limit its
    > bandwidth. I have also been trying to see if I could limit the
    > bandwidth on the 3550 port which the Wifi access point is plugged
    > into.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice you can share,
    > Tim

    You can't limit bandwidth on a port that I know of. You can put QoS
    in to prioritize or protect certain kinds of traffic, but I strongly
    discourage you to limit bandwidth to real-time applications like
    VoIP. In most cases, you protect that traffic to ensure call
    quality. If you still want to constrain the bandwidth, limit the
    amount of outgoing calls. LAN to LAN should have zero impact since
    VoIP is a very light bandwidth application, and the only thing you
    probably care about is WAN pipe usage. The last thing you want to do
    is limit VoIP bandwidth as a whole as all your calls will suck rather
    than just having a cut-off point where X calls work, but X+1 will not.

    Trendkill, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Tim

    Trendkill Guest

    On Apr 12, 9:45 am, "Tim" <> wrote:
    > Hi. I have added a Cisco Aironet 1100 to our environment to work with
    > Skype wireless phones. I would like to limit the bandwidth that the
    > Aironet 1100 can consume so that the Skype phones do not slow down our
    > network.
    >
    > 2801 Router ------ Catalyst 3550 ------- Aironet 1100
    >
    > Does someone know how I could add a rule to our 2801 router to limit
    > the bandwidth that the Aironet 1100 can take up? I don't think it is
    > possible to add a rule on the Aironet 1100 itself to limit its
    > bandwidth. I have also been trying to see if I could limit the
    > bandwidth on the 3550 port which the Wifi access point is plugged
    > into.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice you can share,
    > Tim

    There is no way to limit bandwidth on a port, although you can put QoS
    in your network to prioritize or protect latency or bandwidth needy
    applications. I would strongly recommend that you not constrict
    bandwidth on VoIP, as it would impact your calls. Additionally, VoIP
    does not have a ton of bandwidth requirements, and intra LAN calls
    should be a non-issue. If you do indeed want to cap the WAN or
    Internet pipe bandwidth that is used by VoIP, perhaps you should look
    to limit the total amount of external calls at any given time. This
    would ensure that X calls are protected and allocated enough bandwidth
    to not be choppy, while ensuring that X+1 calls is not allowed as it
    cuts into a level of bandwidth that you want to reserve. I'm not sure
    if Skype has that feature or not (I know Cisco VoIP gateways, etc,
    do). All in all, cutting VoIP bandwidth as a whole can make all calls
    being horrible quality, when in essence all you want is to setup a
    threshold.

    Trendkill, Apr 12, 2007
  4. On Apr 12, 8:56 am, "Trendkill" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 12, 9:45 am, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi. I have added a Cisco Aironet 1100 to our environment to work with
    > > Skype wireless phones. I would like to limit the bandwidth that the
    > > Aironet 1100 can consume so that the Skype phones do not slow down our
    > > network.

    > > 2801 Router ------ Catalyst 3550 ------- Aironet 1100

    > > Does someone know how I could add a rule to our 2801 router to limit
    > > the bandwidth that the Aironet 1100 can take up? I don't think it is
    > > possible to add a rule on the Aironet 1100 itself to limit its
    > > bandwidth. I have also been trying to see if I could limit the
    > > bandwidth on the 3550 port which the Wifi access point is plugged
    > > into.

    > > Thanks for any advice you can share,
    > > Tim

    > You can't limit bandwidth on a port that I know of. You can put QoS
    > in to prioritize or protect certain kinds of traffic, but I strongly
    > discourage you to limit bandwidth to real-time applications like
    > VoIP. In most cases, you protect that traffic to ensure call
    > quality. If you still want to constrain the bandwidth, limit the
    > amount of outgoing calls. LAN to LAN should have zero impact since
    > VoIP is a very light bandwidth application, and the only thing you
    > probably care about is WAN pipe usage. The last thing you want to do
    > is limit VoIP bandwidth as a whole as all your calls will suck rather
    > than just having a cut-off point where X calls work, but X+1 will not.

    You can limit your bandwidth on the 3550 with QoS.
    srr-queue bandwidth limit x x is a percentage of the port speed.
    you need to set up your class and policy maps first.

    I agree with Trendkill's method. Cutting the bandwidth would hurt
    your call quality.

    Details on the QoS here.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a0080115928.html

    Matt nickerson, Apr 12, 2007
  5. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Apr 12, 3:01 pm, "Matt nickerson" <>
    wrote:
    > On Apr 12, 8:56 am, "Trendkill" <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 12, 9:45 am, "Tim" <> wrote:

    > > > Hi. I have added a Cisco Aironet 1100 to our environment to work with
    > > > Skype wireless phones. I would like to limit the bandwidth that the
    > > > Aironet 1100 can consume so that the Skype phones do not slow down our
    > > > network.

    > > > 2801 Router ------ Catalyst 3550 ------- Aironet 1100

    > > > Does someone know how I could add a rule to our 2801 router to limit
    > > > the bandwidth that the Aironet 1100 can take up? I don't think it is
    > > > possible to add a rule on the Aironet 1100 itself to limit its
    > > > bandwidth. I have also been trying to see if I could limit the
    > > > bandwidth on the 3550 port which the Wifi access point is plugged
    > > > into.

    > > > Thanks for any advice you can share,
    > > > Tim

    > > You can't limit bandwidth on a port that I know of. You can put QoS
    > > in to prioritize or protect certain kinds of traffic, but I strongly
    > > discourage you to limit bandwidth to real-time applications like
    > > VoIP. In most cases, you protect that traffic to ensure call
    > > quality. If you still want to constrain the bandwidth, limit the
    > > amount of outgoing calls. LAN to LAN should have zero impact since
    > > VoIP is a very light bandwidth application, and the only thing you
    > > probably care about is WAN pipe usage. The last thing you want to do
    > > is limit VoIP bandwidth as a whole as all your calls will suck rather
    > > than just having a cut-off point where X calls work, but X+1 will not.

    > You can limit your bandwidth on the 3550 with QoS.
    > srr-queue bandwidth limit x x is a percentage of the port speed.
    > you need to set up your class and policy maps first.
    >
    > I agree with Trendkill's method. Cutting the bandwidth would hurt
    > your call quality.
    >
    > Details on the QoS here.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_config...

    This control would be only for a couple Skype phones. We have a VIOP
    system on a completely different gateway. I am concerned about not
    limiting the Skype phones because Skype will consume as much bandwidth
    as possible, and in turn, slow other network services. We have a
    generous 4MB of bandwidth. I figure I could limit the skype Wi-fi
    access point to 1 MB of bandwidth.

    Thanks for the responses.

    Tim, Apr 13, 2007