    would be a 2800 (or a 2600XM if still available as new)?

    TIA

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 20, 2007

  2. Frank Winkler

    Trendkill Guest

    On Apr 20, 2:35 am, Frank Winkler <> wrote:
    > Hi there !
    >
    > Just one question about interface modules. Consider something like a
    > WIC-4ESW or NM-16ESW - can those interfaces be configured as real routed
    > interfaces or just as switch ports?
    > So what's the smallest router with at least 3 routed FE interfaces? If we
    > leave out the desktop models, we could start at a 1760 or 1841 - but can
    > the additional interfaces be used for routing? If not, the next option
    > would be a 2800 (or a 2600XM if still available as new)?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > fw

    Hi Frank,

    I have barely any experience with smaller Cisco equipment, but based
    on an article I just looked up, I really can't tell if this will meet
    your requirements or not. The exact quote is:

    "The WIC-4ESW interface card is a Layer 2 Ethernet switch with Layer 3
    routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host, and is
    not actually performed at the switch.) The ports autosense the speed
    (10 Mbps or 100 Mbps) and duplex mode (full- or half-duplex) of the
    device to which it is connected and then operates at the same speed
    and in the same duplex mode."

    I'm guessing you can create VLANs on the router config side, and make
    those ports access ports, but it doesn't not sound like you can
    actually put a layer 3 IP on the interfaces itself. Here is the
    article for your review, hope it helps!

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td...d/cis2600/hw_inst/wic_inst/wic_doc/wanlan.htm

    Here is another sales page with more information:

    http://www.tribecaexpress.com/cisco_WIC-4ESW.htm
    Trendkill, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Hi,

    "Frank Winkler" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Just one question about interface modules. Consider something like a
    > WIC-4ESW or NM-16ESW - can those interfaces be configured as real routed
    > interfaces or just as switch ports?

    you can configure a port as a routed interface using "no switchport"
    interface command

    Regards,
    Gabriele
    Gabriele Beltrame, Apr 20, 2007
  4. Trendkill wrote:

    >I'm guessing you can create VLANs on the router config side, and make
    >those ports access ports, but it doesn't not sound like you can
    >actually put a layer 3 IP on the interfaces itself. Here is the
    >article for your review, hope it helps!

    Thanks for the articles! It really sounds like it must be done with VLAN
    interfaces. But does this imply any functional disadvantage?
    Unfortunately, the integrated switch in the 1811/12 is L2 only cause
    otherwise, this could a ery elegant solution.

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 20, 2007
  5. Gabriele Beltrame wrote:

    >you can configure a port as a routed interface using "no switchport"
    >interface command

    Cool! But I still can't assign a L3 IP address directly but have to go
    through VLANs?

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 20, 2007
  6. Frank Winkler wrote:

    >otherwise, this could a ery elegant solution.

    .... this could be a very elegant solution.

    Or can someone with a 1800 series router please check if it's possible to
    route between two switch ports?

    And ... if it is possible to to inter-VLAN routing with those switch ports
    (WIC-4ESW or 1800 integrated), what's the actual difference to a real L3
    interface? The "show version" output also doesn't make one as they are just
    listed as "Fast Ethernet interfaces", summing up both types.

    TIA

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 20, 2007
  7. Hi,

    > Cool! But I still can't assign a L3 IP address directly but have to go
    > through VLANs?

    For clarity sake I was speaking about a 36xx with a NM-16ESW.

    With that setup you can have either L2 ports (with a VLAN interfaces if you
    need them) or use one or more of these ports a L3 Interfaces ( thus using ip
    address ... as usual ).

    Regards,
    Gabriele
    Gabriele Beltrame, Apr 20, 2007
  8. Frank Winkler

    Guest

    On 20 Apr, 15:14, "Gabriele Beltrame" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > "Frank Winkler" <> ha scritto nel messaggionews:...
    >
    > > Cool! But I still can't assign a L3 IP address directly but have to go
    > > through VLANs?

    > For clarity sake I was speaking about a 36xx with a NM-16ESW.
    >
    > With that setup you can have either L2 ports (with a VLAN interfaces if you
    > need them) or use one or more of these ports a L3 Interfaces ( thus using ip
    > address ... as usual ).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Gabriele

    I found the documents on this confusing too, so here is a "me too".

    With the NM-16ESW (and others too) I have configured
    ports as L3 and as L2 with SVIs (Vlan interfaces).

    e.g.

    3845 with NM-16ESW

    sh ip int br
    GigabitEthernet0/0 2.2.169.66 YES NVRAM up up
    GigabitEthernet0/1 1.1.1.25 YES manual up up
    FastEthernet1/2 1.1.1.10 YES NVRAM up up
    FastEthernet1/3 1.1.1.1 YES NVRAM up up

    FastEthernet1/10 unassigned YES unset up up

    Vlan1 1.1.1.1 YES NVRAM up up
    , Apr 20, 2007