    show ip bgp
    Does anybody knows in which situations route can have EGP origin ?

    thanks,

    jmarkotic, Dec 30, 2003

  2. On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:09:01 +0100, "jmarkotic"
    <> wrote:

    >According to documentation origin can be: IGP (route came from IGP protocol
    >with commands network x.x.x.x, aggregate-address ..), incomplete
    >(redistributed from IGP into BGP), and EGP.
    >I don't know in what situations I can see route in BGP table that has EGP
    >origin. Never seen it in any examples when running command
    >show ip bgp
    >Does anybody knows in which situations route can have EGP origin ?

    An origin of EGP refers to the EGP protocol rather than EBGP. Given
    that EGP is all but history, you'll rarely see a route with an origin
    of EGP, and when you do it's probably being set manually by a
    route-map or something.

    -Terry

    Terry Baranski, Dec 31, 2003

  3. jmarkotic

    jmarkotic Guest

    "Terry Baranski" <0VE> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:09:01 +0100, "jmarkotic"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >According to documentation origin can be: IGP (route came from IGP

    protocol
    > >with commands network x.x.x.x, aggregate-address ..), incomplete
    > >(redistributed from IGP into BGP), and EGP.
    > >I don't know in what situations I can see route in BGP table that has EGP
    > >origin. Never seen it in any examples when running command
    > >show ip bgp
    > >Does anybody knows in which situations route can have EGP origin ?

    > An origin of EGP refers to the EGP protocol rather than EBGP. Given
    > that EGP is all but history, you'll rarely see a route with an origin
    > of EGP, and when you do it's probably being set manually by a
    > route-map or something.
    >
    > -Terry

    thanks for clearing that up.
    jura

    jmarkotic, Dec 31, 2003
  4. * Terry Baranski <0VE>:
    >>Does anybody knows in which situations route can have EGP origin ?

    > An origin of EGP refers to the EGP protocol rather than EBGP. Given
    > that EGP is all but history, you'll rarely see a route with an origin
    > of EGP, and when you do it's probably being set manually by a
    > route-map or something.

    What happens if BGP routes get imported into OSPF and from there
    redistributed back to BGP? Might those get EGP as origin?

    Regards,
    Daniel

    Daniel Roesen, Jan 1, 2004
  5. On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:51:37 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Roesen <>
    wrote:

    >* Terry Baranski <0VE>:
    >>>Does anybody knows in which situations route can have EGP origin ?

    >> An origin of EGP refers to the EGP protocol rather than EBGP. Given
    >> that EGP is all but history, you'll rarely see a route with an origin
    >> of EGP, and when you do it's probably being set manually by a
    >> route-map or something.

    >What happens if BGP routes get imported into OSPF and from there
    >redistributed back to BGP? Might those get EGP as origin?

    I don't see why they would. Remember, EGP refers to EGP the protocol
    (BGP's predecessor; RFC 904) rather than EBGP.

    -Terry

    Terry Baranski, Jan 1, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Daniel Roesen <> wrote:

    > What happens if BGP routes get imported into OSPF and from there
    > redistributed back to BGP? Might those get EGP as origin?

    OSPF is an IGP, so I think the default when importing OSPF routes into
    BGP is to tag them with the IGP origin. They'll only be tagged
    differently if you have a route-map associated with the "redistribute
    ospf" statement, and it contains "set origin XXX".

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Jan 1, 2004