    rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
    when put on CD.

    How can this be corrected?
    tapyeno, Jan 30, 2009

  2. tapyeno

    Keith nuttle Guest

    D.Mac wrote:

    > "tapyeno" <> wrote in message
    >> Why do photos I have rotated correctly on my pc, still come up the
    >> wrong way around when copied to disc?
    >>
    >> The photo may have been taken vertically with the camera. so I have
    >> rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
    >> when put on CD.
    >>
    >> How can this be corrected?
    >>youle isn't actually rotated, just what

    > you see on the screen.
    > More Microsoft trickery or magic, whatever suits.
    >
    > What you need is a "lossless" image rotation program like Irfanview. or
    > "Photographer's power tools to do the job in the file, not explorer.

    If you have jpg's you must do a "lossless" rotation as stated by the
    usually with the image handling software.

    While doing this process, the most IMPORTANT thing, is to save the
    rotated image back to the disk as a new file. (I never destroy the
    original image, and save any processed images as a new file. )

    You need to get a book on the basic of digital images and photography,
    or look online.
    Keith nuttle, Jan 30, 2009

  3. tapyeno

    D.Mac Guest

    "tapyeno" <> wrote in message
    > Why do photos I have rotated correctly on my pc, still come up the
    > wrong way around when copied to disc?
    >
    > The photo may have been taken vertically with the camera. so I have
    > rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
    > when put on CD.
    >
    > How can this be corrected?

    It's a windows display thing. The file isn't actually rotated, just what you

    --
    Visit my site: D-Mac.info
    My photos, Information about trolls
    D.Mac, Jan 31, 2009
  4. tapyeno

    Paul Furman Guest

    tapyeno wrote:
    > Why do photos I have rotated correctly on my pc, still come up the
    > wrong way around when copied to disc?
    >
    > The photo may have been taken vertically with the camera. so I have
    > rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
    > when put on CD.
    >
    > How can this be corrected?

    Various software will just tag the file as rotated (often the camera
    tags it this way too) but not all that software speaks well with other
    software & operating systems. There isn't a fixed solution but
    understanding the issue will let you decide how to deal with it. If you
    describe which OS/software you are using we can offer specifics.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 31, 2009
  5. tapyeno

    Matt Ion Guest

    tapyeno wrote:
    > Why do photos I have rotated correctly on my pc, still come up the
    > wrong way around when copied to disc?
    >
    > The photo may have been taken vertically with the camera. so I have
    > rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
    > when put on CD.
    >
    > How can this be corrected?

    When you shoot a picture with the camera turned vertically ("portrait"
    orientation), the camera tags it with a flag saying that it's been
    rotated. The picture still actually exists in the camera, "laying on
    its side", but it's been marked to denote that it was taken at a
    different angle.

    SOME (but not all) display software will see that tag, and display the
    picture rotated to its proper orientation, but unless you tell it to, it
    doesn't actually change the original picture... thus when you play it
    back on something else (like a DVD player) that doesn't recognize the
    orientation tag, that device won't rotate it automatically.

    The "fix" is to tell your computer software to actually rotate the
    image, and then re-save it as a new file (so as not to destroy the
    original).

    Using "lossless" rotation is a good idea if you need the new version to
    be ultra-high-quality, but if all you're doing is creating a slideshow
    on a DVD to view on a TV, it's overkill.

    Quickest way I've found is to use IrfanView's Thumbnail feature to
    select all the photos in a folder, then right-click, select "Lossless
    JEPG Operations", then "Lossless Rotation with Selected Files" (or just
    hit Shift-J). The next page has an option, "Auto rotate (according to
    EXIF orientation, if available)". That will process all the files, and
    rotate them only if they're tagged as being shot rotated.
    Matt Ion, Feb 8, 2009