Rotating left all movie frames

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cgc88, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. cgc88

    cgc88 Guest

    I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
    because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
    it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
    movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
    vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90° to the left (or to
    the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?
    I tried the ArcSoft Video Impression V1.7 program that comes with the camera
    but it hasn't any rotate capability, nor the Ulead Media Studio Pro 5.0
    Video Edition that I had with a previous Matrox Rainbow Runner video capture
    card.
    I asked this question to Canon and they answered sharply to use a software
    program for video acquisition, like Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere, or
    Presto!
    So I downloaded the Adobe Premiere trial version but it works only with
    Windows XP and I have Windows 2000. I reverted to download the Pinnacle
    Studio 7.0 trial version, installed it and it runs, but still I don't see
    any way to rotate 90° to the left ALL frames (or even each single frame).
    The trial version doesn't allow for some features, but even the help
    function say nothing about rotating frames.
    Presto! programs were only for sale, no trial version.
    I have seven small movies to correct, for say 5 minutes in total time.
    I wonder if anyone has incurred in the same problem and if there is an easy
    way to do the job.
    Apologize for the long question, and thank a lot in advance for any help.

    cgc88, Jan 9, 2004

  2. cgc88

    Ron Hunter Guest

    cgc88 wrote:
    > I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
    > because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
    > it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
    > movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
    > vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90° to the left (or to
    > the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?
    > I tried the ArcSoft Video Impression V1.7 program that comes with the camera
    > but it hasn't any rotate capability, nor the Ulead Media Studio Pro 5.0
    > Video Edition that I had with a previous Matrox Rainbow Runner video capture
    > card.
    > I asked this question to Canon and they answered sharply to use a software
    > program for video acquisition, like Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere, or
    > Presto!
    > So I downloaded the Adobe Premiere trial version but it works only with
    > Windows XP and I have Windows 2000. I reverted to download the Pinnacle
    > Studio 7.0 trial version, installed it and it runs, but still I don't see
    > any way to rotate 90° to the left ALL frames (or even each single frame).
    > The trial version doesn't allow for some features, but even the help
    > function say nothing about rotating frames.
    > Presto! programs were only for sale, no trial version.
    > I have seven small movies to correct, for say 5 minutes in total time.
    > I wonder if anyone has incurred in the same problem and if there is an easy
    > way to do the job.
    > Apologize for the long question, and thank a lot in advance for any help.

    heck out Quicktime Pro. I believe it has that feature.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 9, 2004

  3. "cgc88" <> writes:

    > I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
    > because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
    > it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
    > movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
    > vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90° to the left (or to
    > the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?

    I use QuickTime Pro to rotate movies.

    Phil Stripling, Jan 9, 2004
  4. cgc88

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:21:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "cgc88"
    <> wrote:

    >I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
    >because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
    >it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
    >movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
    >vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90° to the left (or to
    >the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?

    Give Rad Video Tools a look.
    http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 9, 2004
  5. cgc88

    Paul H. Guest

    Go to http://www.radgametools.com/default.htm and download the RAD video
    tools kit-- it's freeware.

    RAD Tools will convert your .MOV files to the .AVI file format. Once you
    have your movie(s) in .AVI format, go to http://www.virtualdub.org/ and
    download the VirtualDub program. VirtualDub is a good, free,
    general-purpose toolkit for working with .AVI files and will give you the
    ability to rotate your movies and perform many other useful functions on
    them as well, such as changing brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. Using
    VirtualDub, you can also recompress your video using a different CODEC, if
    desired.

    Hope this helps.

    P.S. If you're interested in such things, you should also pick up a copy of
    TMPGEnc (also freeware) which may be used convert .AVI files to the MPEG
    format required to make VCD's. After converting movies to this format,
    you'll be able put them on CD-R's which may then be played on normal DVD
    players. I use Nero Burning ROM software to make my VCDs.

    Paul H., Jan 13, 2004