ROT13

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by meerkat, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    I can d/load ?.
    Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    Thanks if you can help.
    I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the
    Registry.
    bw..
     
    meerkat, Sep 26, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. meerkat

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:50:05 GMT, meerkat wrote:

    >Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    >I can d/load ?.
    >Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.


    Isn't that called XL, (a-z next to m-l ) not downloadable but it's a Win
    GUI app :)

    >Thanks if you can help.
    >I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the


    These are ROT13?


    Still skipping the d/load theme , www.google.com decode rot13, a Opera
    Widget 3rd on the list.

    ROT-13 Decoder and Encoder
    This page includes a JavaScript that will encode or decode ROT-13 text.
    ROT-13 is a simplistic form of encryption. It is most often used to
    prevent ...
    http://members.tripod.com/~BraunzGuy/rot13.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    ROTator
    ROTator lets you encode or decode messages in "ROT 13" format, ... You
    can use ROTator to encode or decode ROT 13 messages, or you can use it
    as a simple ...
    www.halfhill.com/rotator.html - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

    ROT13 EBG13 Widget - Opera Widgets
    A simple ROT13 encoder/decoder. It can encode/decode ROT13 phrases as
    you type. Thanks to 2 textareas you can mix encoded and not encoded
    information easily ...
    http://widgets.opera.com/widget/3797 - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

    WinROT13 free download. A freeware ROT13 coder/decoder for Windows....
    WinROT13 free download. A freeware ROT13 coder/decoder for Windows.....
    www.freedownloadscenter.com/Email_Tools/Mail_Encoders_Decoders/WinROT13.html
    - 23k - Cached - Similar pages


    Me
     
    why?, Sep 26, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. meerkat

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:50:05 GMT, meerkat wrote:

    >Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that


    Better yet change the search terms for www.google.com
    userassist registry,
    these appear before the ROT13 stuff.

    Decrypt 'UserAssist' registry entries
    Some people are suspicious of the 'UserAssist' entries in the registry,
    mostly because they are encrypted. Here's a small script that will
    decrypt those ...
    www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic9154.html - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

    Purpose of "UserAssist" registry keys?
    Purpose of "UserAssist" registry keys? Windows XP General.
    www.mcse.ms/message1518802.html - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

    UserAssist « Didier Stevens
    Windows Explorer maintains this information in the UserAssist registry
    entries. My program allows you to display and manipulate these entries.
    ....
    http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/userassist/ - 43k - Cached -
    Similar pages


    >I can d/load ?.
    >Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    >Thanks if you can help.
    >I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the


    Me
     
    why?, Sep 26, 2007
    #3
  4. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:50:05 GMT, meerkat wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that

    >
    > Better yet change the search terms for www.google.com
    > userassist registry,
    > these appear before the ROT13 stuff.
    >
    > Decrypt 'UserAssist' registry entries
    > Some people are suspicious of the 'UserAssist' entries in the
    > registry,
    > mostly because they are encrypted. Here's a small script that will
    > decrypt those ...
    > www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic9154.html - 38k - Cached - Similar
    > pages
    >
    > Purpose of "UserAssist" registry keys?
    > Purpose of "UserAssist" registry keys? Windows XP General.
    > www.mcse.ms/message1518802.html - 73k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > UserAssist « Didier Stevens
    > Windows Explorer maintains this information in the UserAssist
    > registry
    > entries. My program allows you to display and manipulate these
    > entries.
    > ...
    > http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/userassist/ - 43k - Cached -
    > Similar pages
    >
    >
    >>I can d/load ?.
    >>Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    >>Thanks if you can help.
    >>I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the

    >

    Thanks Me a couple of good pointers there.
    I`ll get straight on them.
    Thanks again.
     
    meerkat, Sep 26, 2007
    #4
  5. meerkat

    ded Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    news:xRxKi.459$%...
    > Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    > I can d/load ?.
    > Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    > Thanks if you can help.
    > I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the
    > Registry.
    > bw..
    >
    >


    You're using OE, that has the ability to scramble/unscramble ROT13.
    Click the "Message" button in OE toolbar.
     
    ded, Sep 26, 2007
    #5
  6. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message
    news:fdeenc$ljf$...
    >
    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    > news:xRxKi.459$%...
    >> Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    >> I can d/load ?.
    >> Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    >> Thanks if you can help.
    >> I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the
    >> Registry.
    >> bw..
    >>
    >>

    >
    > You're using OE, that has the ability to scramble/unscramble ROT13.
    > Click the "Message" button in OE toolbar.


    Thanks ded, but how to get userassist msgs into OE to
    rotate, sounds a bit complex.

    `why me` suggested Didier Stevens program `Userassist`,
    and that seems to work quite well.
    Thanks for the responce anyway.
    bw..
     
    meerkat, Sep 27, 2007
    #6
  7. meerkat

    Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >> You're using OE, that has the ability to scramble/unscramble ROT13.
    >> Click the "Message" button in OE toolbar.

    >
    >Thanks ded, but how to get userassist msgs into OE to
    >rotate, sounds a bit complex.


    Regedit, export count as text.
    Copy and paste into OE or any other program.

    ie: one of my keys
    Value 15
    Name: HRZR_EHACVQY:%pfvqy6%\ZVFTCETF.yax
    Type: REG_BINARY
    Data:
    00000000 2d 02 00 00 02 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    -...............

    I still haven't found ROT in OE, I think they call it
    --

    Teens cutting a hole in the roof of a tobacco and liquor store
    miscalculated and were actually drilling through the overhang
    in front of the store. http://tinyurl.com/34td6a
     
    , Sep 27, 2007
    #7
  8. meerkat

    nobody > Guest

    wrote:
    > "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> You're using OE, that has the ability to scramble/unscramble ROT13.
    >>> Click the "Message" button in OE toolbar.

    >> Thanks ded, but how to get userassist msgs into OE to
    >> rotate, sounds a bit complex.

    >
    > Regedit, export count as text.
    > Copy and paste into OE or any other program.
    >
    > ie: one of my keys
    > Value 15
    > Name: HRZR_EHACVQY:%pfvqy6%\ZVFTCETF.yax
    > Type: REG_BINARY
    > Data:
    > 00000000 2d 02 00 00 02 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    > -...............
    >
    > I still haven't found ROT in OE, I think they call it


    "To unscramble a newsgroup message

    You cannot scramble messages and post them in Outlook Express, but if
    someone has posted a scrambled message to a newsgroup (using ROT13), you
    can unscramble it in Outlook Express and make it readable.

    In the newsgroups message list, double-click a message to open it.
    On the Message menu, click Unscramble (ROT13).
    Note

    The ROT13 method of scrambling involves replacing each letter with one
    that appears 13 characters later in the alphabet. Though this is not
    secure the way encrypting is, it can be useful for sensitive or
    offensive information."
     
    nobody >, Sep 27, 2007
    #8
  9. meerkat

    Guest

    wrote:

    >I still haven't found ROT in OE, I think they call it


    Ment to edit this out; POS OE seems very difficult to ROT13 anything,
    to the point of calling it scramble and unscramble and no help under
    ROT13.

    --

    Teens cutting a hole in the roof of a tobacco and liquor store
    miscalculated and were actually drilling through the overhang
    in front of the store. http://tinyurl.com/34td6a
     
    , Sep 27, 2007
    #9
  10. meerkat

    Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote:

    >You cannot scramble messages and post them in Outlook Express


    That doesn't suprise me a bit. but also doesn't sound right, as a copy
    and paste will just paste the text (which is scrambled)
    --

    Teens cutting a hole in the roof of a tobacco and liquor store
    miscalculated and were actually drilling through the overhang
    in front of the store. http://tinyurl.com/34td6a
     
    , Sep 27, 2007
    #10
  11. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I still haven't found ROT in OE, I think they call it

    >
    > Ment to edit this out; POS OE seems very difficult to ROT13
    > anything,
    > to the point of calling it scramble and unscramble and no help under
    > ROT13.
    >

    Thank anyway Pennywise, it is sorted now.
    If M$ hadn`t scrambled those entries on MY machine, I
    wouldn`t have to bother undoing them for my curiosity.

    M$ just has to poke it`s nose in everywhere <G>.
    bw..
     
    meerkat, Sep 27, 2007
    #11
  12. meerkat

    nobody > Guest

    wrote:
    > "nobody >" <> wrote:
    >
    >> You cannot scramble messages and post them in Outlook Express

    >
    > That doesn't suprise me a bit. but also doesn't sound right, as a copy
    > and paste will just paste the text (which is scrambled)


    That's just one of the reasons I use Thunderbird. Add the L33T Key
    extension and it does all kinds of neat things. I regularily use the
    Base64 decode to bust open Oriental spam to find the payload.
     
    nobody >, Sep 27, 2007
    #12
  13. meerkat

    pxfoon Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:50:05 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    >I can d/load ?.
    >Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    >Thanks if you can help.
    >I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the
    >Registry.
    >bw..
    >


    You can set the userassist keys to not be encrypted to begin with
    using the following reg entry -

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\Settings]
    "NoEncrypt"=dword:00000001
     
    pxfoon, Sep 28, 2007
    #13
  14. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "pxfoon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:50:05 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    >>I can d/load ?.
    >>Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    >>Thanks if you can help.
    >>I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the
    >>Registry.
    >>bw..
    >>

    >
    > You can set the userassist keys to not be encrypted to begin with
    > using the following reg entry -
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\Settings]
    > "NoEncrypt"=dword:00000001
    >

    Thanks for that p.. but the settings key does`nt exist on my XP
    pro. Any ideas why ?.
     
    meerkat, Sep 28, 2007
    #14
  15. meerkat

    Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >
    >"pxfoon" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:50:05 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Pals.Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    >>>I can d/load ?.
    >>>Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.
    >>>Thanks if you can help.
    >>>I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the
    >>>Registry.
    >>>bw..


    >> You can set the userassist keys to not be encrypted to begin with
    >> using the following reg entry -



    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\Settings]
    >> "NoEncrypt"=dword:00000001


    >Thanks for that p.. but the settings key does`nt exist on my XP
    >pro. Any ideas why ?.


    :) then you add it yourself, new key named NoEncrypt with a dword of 1

    Of course just incase run Erunt first
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/


    --

    The 3,492nd "al-Qaida #2" in Iraq has been killed
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21031907/
     
    , Sep 28, 2007
    #15
  16. > From: "meerkat" <>
    > Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    > I can d/load ?.


    Here's one. I've laid out each step separately to make it easy for you
    to follow the logic. After each function definition there are some
    test cases. Be sure to annotate it to say where you got it.

    ;Given character to do "rot13" or the like, already checked to be
    ; within some contiguous rotation range, and the parameters of
    ; rotation (base character, number of characters, offset for rotate),
    ; perform the single rotation.
    (defun ch+basech+nmod+noff-rotate (ch basech nmod noff)
    (prog (basnch nch nch0 nch0r nchr chr)
    (setq basnch (char-code basech))
    (setq nch (char-code ch))
    (setq nch0 (- nch basnch))
    (setq nch0r (mod (+ nch0 noff) nmod))
    (setq nchr (+ nch0r basnch))
    (setq chr (code-char nchr))
    (return chr)))
    ;(ch+basech+nmod+noff-rotate #\q #\a 26 13)
    ;(ch+basech+nmod+noff-rotate #\Q #\A 26 13)
    ;(map 'string #'(lambda (ch) (ch+basech+nmod+noff-rotate ch basech nmod noff)) "Test123")

    ;Given arbitrary character, if lower or upper case then perform
    ; appropriate rot13, else leave as-is.
    (defun ch-may-rot13 (ch)
    (cond ((lower-case-p ch) (ch+basech+nmod+noff-rotate ch #\a 26 13))
    ((upper-case-p ch) (ch+basech+nmod+noff-rotate ch #\A 26 13))
    (t ch)))
    ;(ch-may-rot13 #\q) (ch-may-rot13 #\Q)
    ;(map 'string #'ch-may-rot13 "Serq Ublyr'f BPGBORE GUR SVEFG VF GBB YNGR")

    ;Given string, perform rot13 on alphabetics, leave rest unchanged.
    (defun str-rot13 (str) (map 'string #'ch-may-rot13 str))
    ;(str-rot13 "This is a test.")
    ;(str-rot13 "Guvf vf n grfg.")
    ;(str-rot13 "This text has \"quotemarks\" \\etc.\\ in it.")
    ;(str-rot13 "Guvf grkg unf \"dhbgrznexf\" \\rgp.\\ va vg.")

    > Preferably with a Windows XP GUI.


    The above should work fine in *any* US-ASCII implementation of Common Lisp.

    > I want to unravel some of those userassist keys in the Registry.


    If you can get those in text form (not pictures), copy the text,
    paste it into one of the test cases of str-rot13, be sure to put
    backslant in front of any " or \ character within the string, then
    copy the whole expression and past into your Lisp where the
    functions have already been defined.
     
    Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t, Sep 29, 2007
    #16
  17. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    >> From: "meerkat" <>
    >> Does anyone know of a ROT13 program, that
    >> I can d/load ?.

    >
    > Here's one. I've laid out each step separately to make it easy for
    > you
    > to follow the logic. After each function definition there are some
    > test cases. Be sure to annotate it to say where you got it.
    >

    Thanks Robert, but have solved it with `UserAssist`.
    bw..
     
    meerkat, Sep 29, 2007
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Justin gregg

    ROT13.

    Justin gregg, Apr 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    64
    Views:
    2,914
    slumpy
    Apr 25, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page