root kit remover

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Gordon

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Nov 4, 2005

  3. "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    news:iIEaf.677$...
    > http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
    >
    > See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

    I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is decidedly
    easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own firewall, MS
    Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or spectacular. How others can
    accumulate so much spyware/malware on their machines, I don't know... Some
    people seem to have a special talent for it.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 6, 2005
  4. "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, says...
    >> "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
    >> >
    >> > See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

    >> I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is decidedly
    >> easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own firewall, MS
    >> Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or spectacular. How others
    >> can
    >> accumulate so much spyware/malware on their machines, I don't know...
    >> Some
    >> people seem to have a special talent for it.

    > It depends on the websites they visit.

    Like what?

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 7, 2005
  5. Gordon

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...

    Rob J, Nov 7, 2005
  6. "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <436f8f30$>, says...
    >> >
    >> > It depends on the websites they visit.

    >> Like what?
    >>
    >> Tony.
    >>

    > Read this little gem:
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june2.php

    Yeah, being accommodating to ActiveX prompts is almost aways like inviting a
    malware infestation, but ~it takes a dunderhead~ to do it. XP can't get
    infected simply by visiting web sites; so provided one is not a dunderhead,
    then XP is easy to keep free of malware.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 7, 2005
  7. "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <436f8f30$>, says...
    >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> > It depends on the websites they visit.

    >> Like what?

    > Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
    > Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

    Can you give an example? I'd prefer one with some good lesbian action.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 7, 2005
  8. "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "The Black Wibble" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
    >>>
    >>> See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

    >> I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is
    >> decidedly easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own
    >> firewall, MS Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or
    >> spectacular. How others can accumulate so much spyware/malware on
    >> their machines, I don't know... Some people seem to have a special
    >> talent for it.

    > Though simply trying to play the music on a Sony DRM music CD is enough to
    > get a root kit installed on your PC. Your firewall wont stop that!

    Although my anti-virus software may do. I read that it's good at detecting
    programs trying to create global hooks, and it has caught rootkits. This
    may be standard in with anti-virus progs. I'm not sure.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 7, 2005
  9. Gordon

    MarkH Guest

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 7, 2005
  10. Peter Huebner, Nov 7, 2005
  11. Gordon

    Rob J Guest

    In article <436f8f30$>, says...

    Rob J, Nov 7, 2005
  12. Gordon

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <436f8f30$>, says...
    > > >
    > > > It depends on the websites they visit.

    > > Like what?
    > >
    > > Tony.
    > >

    > Read this little gem:
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june2.php

    Had one recently had trojans all over the place and nasty messages
    - Install all updates to Windows
    - Firewall on
    A lot of work on an old PC.

    Rob J, Nov 7, 2005
  13. Gordon

    shannon Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    > Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
    > Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

    What bugs ?
    And how do you know about the porn sites ;-)

    shannon, Nov 7, 2005
  14. Gordon

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <436f8f30$>, says...
    > > >
    > > > It depends on the websites they visit.

    > > Like what?
    > >
    > > Tony.
    > >

    > Read this little gem:
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june2.php

    So it has nothing to do with websites visited then - but everything to
    do with "social engineering" - ie is a user stupid enough to load
    untrusted ActiveX controls.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 7, 2005
  15. Gordon

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 04:48:42 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <436f8f30$>, says...
    >>> "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    >[...]
    >>>
    >>> Like what?

    >> Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
    >> Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

    >Can you give an example? I'd prefer one with some good lesbian action.
    >
    >Tony.

    I would have thought warez sites were worse.

    GraB, Nov 8, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    says...

    > So it has nothing to do with websites visited then - but everything to
    > do with "social engineering" - ie is a user stupid enough to load
    > untrusted ActiveX controls.

    I suppose - that website is famour - American Pro Wrestling fan site.
    So you think about it, who's going to visit? 12 year olds, and mental 12
    year olds. Do they think if a little box pops up that says they need to
    install an activex control to see the site?

    I don't actually know if it can be engineered so the activex control in
    question does not ask about being installed. I don't use msie 99.9% of
    the time, I certainly have activex disabled as well as vb scripting and
    all the rest. So do the people whose machines I service :) But it
    wouldn't surprise me at all if some certificate could be faked, or the
    site made to look as 'trusted' or some such trick, so the thing installs
    without asking first. From what I've heard that is not impossible, but I
    can't show any reference, I'm a little too tired tonight to go dig one
    up.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 8, 2005