Rookie Help Needed - Can This Camera Be Fixed - Link to Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Les Stewart, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    These pictures were recently taken with my Canon PowerShot A60 (2 megapixel
    with 3x optical zoom) which has worked well for 2 years. Recently all the
    pictures are coming out smeared like these. I have changed batteries and
    memory stick without helping at all. The LCD display on the camera also
    shows the same smeared images. Changing optical zoom just makes larger
    smears. The setting is on "Auto". The LCD screen, when first turned on shows
    the CANON logo crystal clear. The lens in front appears clean. Any hope? Is
    this camera fixable at a reasonable price?

    Thanks for any comments.

    Pictures here:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/stewart54321/CanThisCameraBeFixed?authkey=z6zF1MaBdPc

    or here:

    http://tinyurl.com/3cxrc4

    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX
     
    Les Stewart, Jul 12, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Les Stewart

    Allen Guest

    Les Stewart wrote:
    > These pictures were recently taken with my Canon PowerShot A60 (2 megapixel
    > with 3x optical zoom) which has worked well for 2 years. Recently all the
    > pictures are coming out smeared like these. I have changed batteries and
    > memory stick without helping at all. The LCD display on the camera also
    > shows the same smeared images. Changing optical zoom just makes larger
    > smears. The setting is on "Auto". The LCD screen, when first turned on shows
    > the CANON logo crystal clear. The lens in front appears clean. Any hope? Is
    > this camera fixable at a reasonable price?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments.
    >
    > Pictures here:
    >
    > http://picasaweb.google.com/stewart54321/CanThisCameraBeFixed?authkey=z6zF1MaBdPc
    >
    > or here:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3cxrc4
    >

    About the LCD images--do they appear "smeared" when examining them
    _before_ you expose, or is this after you have taken the picture and are
    viewing the results? If the latter, it looks like a simple case of
    camera movement. Put it on a tripod and see what you get, and check all
    settings to see if a setting would yield a slow shutter speed.
    Allen
     
    Allen, Jul 12, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Les Stewart

    Ali Guest

    Absolutely.

    Just don't post process your photos with a filter to look like there is a
    fault with your camera. Or suddenly move the camera in a up/down motion
    with a slow shutter speed.


    "Les Stewart" <> wrote in message
    news:G%uli.26696$...
    > These pictures were recently taken with my Canon PowerShot A60 (2
    > megapixel
    > with 3x optical zoom) which has worked well for 2 years. Recently all the
    > pictures are coming out smeared like these. I have changed batteries and
    > memory stick without helping at all. The LCD display on the camera also
    > shows the same smeared images. Changing optical zoom just makes larger
    > smears. The setting is on "Auto". The LCD screen, when first turned on
    > shows
    > the CANON logo crystal clear. The lens in front appears clean. Any hope?
    > Is
    > this camera fixable at a reasonable price?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments.
    >
    > Pictures here:
    >
    > http://picasaweb.google.com/stewart54321/CanThisCameraBeFixed?authkey=z6zF1MaBdPc
    >
    > or here:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3cxrc4
    >
    > --
    > Les Stewart
    > Beaumont, TX
    >
    >
    >
     
    Ali, Jul 12, 2007
    #3
  4. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote
    >>

    > About the LCD images--do they appear "smeared" when examining them
    > _before_ you expose, or is this after you have taken the picture and are
    > viewing the results? If the latter, it looks like a simple case of camera
    > movement. Put it on a tripod and see what you get, and check all settings
    > to see if a setting would yield a slow shutter speed.
    > Allen


    Thanks for the reply. The image is smeared on LCD before any pictures are
    taken even with camera sitting steady on a table or with camera moving. Also
    just tried holding menu button down for 5 seconds which gave the option to
    reset to factory settings. Did that, no luck.

    Thanks again!
    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX
     
    Les Stewart, Jul 12, 2007
    #4
  5. Les Stewart

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Jul 12, 2007
    #5
  6. Les Stewart

    Ali Guest

    Please supply the EXIF data on the shots.


    "Les Stewart" <> wrote in message
    news:4swli.26716$...
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. The image is smeared on LCD before any pictures are
    > taken even with camera sitting steady on a table or with camera moving.
    > Also just tried holding menu button down for 5 seconds which gave the
    > option to reset to factory settings. Did that, no luck.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > --
    > Les Stewart
    > Beaumont, TX
    >
    >
     
    Ali, Jul 12, 2007
    #6
  7. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    While looking through the Canon web site and being offered a repair for $87
    plus shipping, I found a "CCd Image Sensor Advisory" which states they will
    fix the problem reguardless of age for free and they will pay shipping both
    ways!

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oryid=225&modelid=13390&keycode=2112&id=29819

    For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    these products:

    Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    S410(*), S500(*)
    Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!
    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX
     
    Les Stewart, Jul 12, 2007
    #7
  8. Les Stewart

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:48:00 -0500, Les Stewart wrote:

    >> About the LCD images--do they appear "smeared" when examining them
    >> _before_ you expose, or is this after you have taken the picture and are
    >> viewing the results? If the latter, it looks like a simple case of camera
    >> movement. Put it on a tripod and see what you get, and check all settings
    >> to see if a setting would yield a slow shutter speed.
    >> Allen

    >
    > Thanks for the reply. The image is smeared on LCD before any pictures are
    > taken even with camera sitting steady on a table or with camera moving. Also
    > just tried holding menu button down for 5 seconds which gave the option to
    > reset to factory settings. Did that, no luck.


    Is the camera actually focusing? Listen and try to hear any
    mechanical noises while focusing on a nearby object and then on a
    more distanct object. Also try using the LCD display instead of the
    optical viewfinder when focusing, to see if the blurriness changes
    in any way. The A60 also has a manual focus mode. Try that to see
    if you're able to get things in focus.

    Actually, after looking at one of your pictures, the color
    aberration seems so extreme that I wonder if one of the lens
    elements didn't come loose or become misaligned. I really doubt
    that it's going to be cost effective to repair the camera, and Canon
    (and other manufacturers) have come out with much better cameras
    since the A60 and A70 were introduced four years ago, so you might
    want to start evaluating some of the newer models.
     
    ASAAR, Jul 12, 2007
    #8
  9. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote

    > Actually, after looking at one of your pictures, the color
    > aberration seems so extreme that I wonder if one of the lens
    > elements didn't come loose or become misaligned. I really doubt
    > that it's going to be cost effective to repair the camera, and Canon
    > (and other manufacturers) have come out with much better cameras
    > since the A60 and A70 were introduced four years ago, so you might
    > want to start evaluating some of the newer models.


    Thanks to you and others for the replies. As you can see in my "Problem
    Solved" post, Canon is going to fix the problem for free. They said the
    problem was most frequent where it is hot and humid. Well, I live on the
    Texas gulf coast (hmmmmm).

    Meanwhile I have already purchased a new Canon PowerShot S3 IS so I will now
    have my old one as a "disposable" for those fishing trips where they tend to
    get dropped and sometimes wet.

    Thanks again!
    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX 30ºN 94ºW
     
    Les Stewart, Jul 12, 2007
    #9
  10. Les Stewart

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:56:02 -0500, Les Stewart wrote:

    > Thanks to you and others for the replies. As you can see in my "Problem
    > Solved" post, Canon is going to fix the problem for free. They said the
    > problem was most frequent where it is hot and humid. Well, I live on the
    > Texas gulf coast (hmmmmm).
    >
    > Meanwhile I have already purchased a new Canon PowerShot S3 IS so I will now
    > have my old one as a "disposable" for those fishing trips where they tend to
    > get dropped and sometimes wet.


    Great! I've heard of the sensor problems before, but your A60's
    symptoms seemed quite different from the others I saw reported. It
    should last for another 3 or 4 years if you don't give it an
    accidental brine bath. :)
     
    ASAAR, Jul 13, 2007
    #10
  11. Les Stewart

    Allen Guest

    Les Stewart wrote:
    > "ASAAR" <> wrote
    >
    >> Actually, after looking at one of your pictures, the color
    >> aberration seems so extreme that I wonder if one of the lens
    >> elements didn't come loose or become misaligned. I really doubt
    >> that it's going to be cost effective to repair the camera, and Canon
    >> (and other manufacturers) have come out with much better cameras
    >> since the A60 and A70 were introduced four years ago, so you might
    >> want to start evaluating some of the newer models.

    >
    > Thanks to you and others for the replies. As you can see in my "Problem
    > Solved" post, Canon is going to fix the problem for free. They said the
    > problem was most frequent where it is hot and humid. Well, I live on the
    > Texas gulf coast (hmmmmm).
    >
    > Meanwhile I have already purchased a new Canon PowerShot S3 IS so I will now
    > have my old one as a "disposable" for those fishing trips where they tend to
    > get dropped and sometimes wet.
    >
    > Thanks again!


    What part of the coast? I live in Austin and in the past I've made many
    trips to the GC, from the Port Arthur area to Galveston to Corpus to
    South Padre to Brownsville, but alas my traveling days are over. I think
    you will be able to get some great shorebird pictures with that S3 and
    the long telephoto range. I wish that I could get down there again with
    my S3.
    Allen
     
    Allen, Jul 13, 2007
    #11
  12. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote
    >
    > What part of the coast? I live in Austin and in the past I've made many
    > trips to the GC, from the Port Arthur area to Galveston to Corpus to South
    > Padre to Brownsville, but alas my traveling days are over. I think you
    > will be able to get some great shorebird pictures with that S3 and the
    > long telephoto range. I wish that I could get down there again with my S3.
    > Allen


    Live in Beaumont, hang out in Sabine Pass area. It is one of the few places
    in Texas with lots of beach and wetlands that are easy to get to...... and
    shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.... there is almost nobody there. I've taken up
    birdwatching the last couple of years. Looking forward to that 12x zoom.

    I moved to Austin 4 different times in the 70s and 80s..... had waaaaay too
    good a time when I lived there and had to leave.

    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX 30ºN 94ºW
     
    Les Stewart, Jul 13, 2007
    #12
  13. Les Stewart

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Allen wrote:
    > Les Stewart wrote:
    >> These pictures were recently taken with my Canon PowerShot A60 (2
    >> megapixel
    >> with 3x optical zoom) which has worked well for 2 years. Recently all the
    >> pictures are coming out smeared like these. I have changed batteries and
    >> memory stick without helping at all. The LCD display on the camera also
    >> shows the same smeared images. Changing optical zoom just makes larger
    >> smears. The setting is on "Auto". The LCD screen, when first turned on
    >> shows
    >> the CANON logo crystal clear. The lens in front appears clean. Any
    >> hope? Is
    >> this camera fixable at a reasonable price?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any comments.
    >>
    >> Pictures here:
    >>
    >> http://picasaweb.google.com/stewart54321/CanThisCameraBeFixed?authkey=z6zF1MaBdPc
    >>
    >>
    >> or here:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3cxrc4
    >>

    > About the LCD images--do they appear "smeared" when examining them
    > _before_ you expose, or is this after you have taken the picture and are
    > viewing the results? If the latter, it looks like a simple case of
    > camera movement. Put it on a tripod and see what you get, and check all
    > settings to see if a setting would yield a slow shutter speed.
    > Allen


    It certainly looks like vertical camera movement to me. Not the
    vertical line in the picture of the TV is quite clear. Try setting the
    camera on something and using the self-timer. Still, a 2mp camera that
    old is probably not economical to repair, if this is an actual camera
    malfunction.
     
    Ron Hunter, Jul 13, 2007
    #13
  14. Les Stewart

    N Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > It certainly looks like vertical camera movement to me. Not the vertical
    > line in the picture of the TV is quite clear. Try setting the camera on
    > something and using the self-timer. Still, a 2mp camera that old is
    > probably not economical to repair, if this is an actual camera
    > malfunction.


    It's unlikely that camera shake would be so consistent in those photos.
     
    N, Jul 13, 2007
    #14
  15. Les Stewart

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:18:32 -0500, "Les Stewart" <>
    wrote:
    : While looking through the Canon web site and being offered a repair for $87
    : plus shipping, I found a "CCd Image Sensor Advisory" which states they will
    : fix the problem reguardless of age for free and they will pay shipping both
    : ways!
    :
    : http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oryid=225&modelid=13390&keycode=2112&id=29819
    :
    : For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    : these products:
    :
    : Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    : - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    : A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    : S410(*), S500(*)
    : Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!

    Hmmm. Neither my wife's old S50 nor my daughter's S80 is on the list. I wonder
    what Canon did to screw up the S60.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Jul 15, 2007
    #15
  16. Les Stewart

    ASAAR Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:54:11 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > : For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    > : these products:
    > :
    > : Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    > : - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    > : A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    > : S410(*), S500(*)
    > : Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!
    >
    > Hmmm. Neither my wife's old S50 nor my daughter's S80 is on the list. I wonder
    > what Canon did to screw up the S60.


    It probably just selected particular Sony sensors that it didn't
    realize would have a high rate of defects surfacing in later years.
     
    ASAAR, Jul 15, 2007
    #16
  17. Les Stewart

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:16:37 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    : On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:54:11 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
    :
    : > : For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    : > : these products:
    : > :
    : > : Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    : > : - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    : > : A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    : > : S410(*), S500(*)
    : > : Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!
    : >
    : > Hmmm. Neither my wife's old S50 nor my daughter's S80 is on the list. I wonder
    : > what Canon did to screw up the S60.
    :
    : It probably just selected particular Sony sensors that it didn't
    : realize would have a high rate of defects surfacing in later years.

    Well, Sony's screwup rate is so high lately (think, "laptop computer
    batteries") that it's hard to imagine that they fixed whatever it was in time
    for the S80 to escape. Maybe the S80's sensors just haven't had time to go bad
    yet. :^|

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Jul 15, 2007
    #17
  18. Les Stewart

    Bill Funk Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:16:37 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:54:11 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
    >
    >> : For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    >> : these products:
    >> :
    >> : Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    >> : - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    >> : A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    >> : S410(*), S500(*)
    >> : Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Neither my wife's old S50 nor my daughter's S80 is on the list. I wonder
    >> what Canon did to screw up the S60.

    >
    > It probably just selected particular Sony sensors that it didn't
    >realize would have a high rate of defects surfacing in later years.


    AH!
    Another case of Canon using its customers as Beta testers.
    :-(

    --
    THIS IS A SIG LINE; NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!

    Al Gore's son was pulled over by police on the
    San Diego Freeway Tuesday with marijuana, Valium,
    Xanax and Vicodin on him. The kid never had a
    chance. He got hooked on downers at an early
    age listening to his father read him bedtime
    stories.
     
    Bill Funk, Jul 15, 2007
    #18
  19. Les Stewart

    ASAAR Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:16:37 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:54:11 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
    >
    >> : For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    >> : these products:
    >> :
    >> : Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    >> : - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    >> : A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    >> : S410(*), S500(*)
    >> : Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Neither my wife's old S50 nor my daughter's S80 is on the list. I wonder
    >> what Canon did to screw up the S60.

    >
    > It probably just selected particular Sony sensors that it didn't
    >realize would have a high rate of defects surfacing in later years.


    Please ignore the forged reply.
     
    ASAAR, Jul 16, 2007
    #19
  20. Les Stewart

    Big John Guest

    Re: Rookie Help Needed - PROBLEM SOLVED

    Les Stewart wrote:
    > While looking through the Canon web site and being offered a repair for $87
    > plus shipping, I found a "CCd Image Sensor Advisory" which states they will
    > fix the problem reguardless of age for free and they will pay shipping both
    > ways!
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oryid=225&modelid=13390&keycode=2112&id=29819
    >
    > For anyone having a similar problem with a Canon product, it applies to
    > these products:
    >
    > Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    > - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    > A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    > S410(*), S500(*)
    > Thanks to all that answered my post or were going to!

    Yep - thats true! In fact I contacted Canon about this problem in my SD
    100 and they had me send it in to them. A week later I received a much
    updated replacement at no cost (I think it's an SD 600 -wife is gone
    with it at the moment) a know of others who have done the same. The CCDs
    are affected by the heat and mine got very hot here in South Texas on
    several occasions.

    This CCD As I recall. is made by Sony but is used by other
    manufacturers and they are having the same difficulty.

    big john
     
    Big John, Jul 18, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. gg77

    Re: MCSE rookie need help

    gg77, Sep 15, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    501
  2. Marko

    MCSE rookie need help

    Marko, Sep 16, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    469
    Marko
    Sep 16, 2003
  3. duke
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    649
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Feb 26, 2006
  4. JZ

    Help for rookie

    JZ, Jul 6, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    321
    Lee K
    Jul 6, 2004
  5. PR
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,968
    Phil Stripling
    Sep 26, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page