Roofing Quesstions (New England)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Live in New England.

    Looks like we need a new roof.

    Know nothing about roofs.

    What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ?
    Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.

    I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?).
    What would be typical for a New England climate.

    New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles.
    Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?

    I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the
    exact terminology)
    that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?

    What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?

    Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Robert11

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Live in New England.
    >
    > Looks like we need a new roof.
    >
    > Know nothing about roofs.
    >
    > What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ?
    > Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.
    >
    > I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?).
    > What would be typical for a New England climate.
    >
    > New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles.
    > Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?
    >
    > I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of
    > the exact terminology)
    > that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to
    > have ?

    I believe you may be refering to "flashing". Typically aluminum, galvanized
    steel and copper sheets, used at roof valleys, chimneys, eaves, etc. Beyond
    that, I know about as much about roofing as you do ;)

    But Google for it - there's a lot of good information on roofing repairs,
    replacements, materials, etc.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Robert11

    korvet Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > Live in New England.
    >
    > Looks like we need a new roof.
    >
    > Know nothing about roofs.
    >
    > What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ?
    > Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.
    >
    > I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?).
    > What would be typical for a New England climate.
    >
    > New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles.
    > Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?
    >
    > I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the
    > exact terminology)
    > that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?
    >
    > What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?
    >
    > Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I would suggest metal roofing instead of shingles. It would be more
    expensive than shingles but you wouldn't have to worry about replacing it
    every 10 years or so.
    korvet, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Robert11

    x@y Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message

    > Hello:
    >
    > Live in New England.
    >
    > Looks like we need a new roof.
    >
    > Know nothing about roofs.
    >
    > What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ?
    > Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.
    >
    > I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?).
    > What would be typical for a New England climate.
    >
    > New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles.
    > Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?
    >
    > I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the
    > exact terminology)
    > that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?
    >
    > What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?
    >
    > Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Hello Bob,

    Here is a Link for Your Local Building Materials,

    http://tinyurl.com/2zymen

    Good Luck, x@y
    x@y, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Robert11

    doS Guest

    try windows update page...
    jk, get a metal roof....

    doS, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Robert11 wrote:

    > I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of
    > the exact terminology) that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is
    > this a good thing to have ?

    A fellow I know in Connecticut has this web site:

    http://freezeblock.com/ to prevent ice dams.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 22, 2007