Ron Chiplin Allied Bakeries Cardiff. Project

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ronald.chiplin, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Allied Bakeries

    Institute of leadership & Management

    Level 2 certificate in Team Leading

    2004

    Dough Waste

    Ron Chiplin

    26/05/2004

    CONTENTS

    1. Front page

    2. contents

    3. introduction

    4. problem

    5. using information

    7. making it happen

    8. resources

    9. leading the team

    iNTRODUCTION

    My name is Ron Chiplin and I'm employed at Allied Bakeries Cardiff as a
    Plant Control Relief (PCR). I have been with the Company for thirteen
    years. During this time I have worked in various departments. The past
    three years I have held the position of PCR within the Bread Production
    Department.

    I have decided to do my project on waste dough. After speaking to my
    Departmental Manager Alan Chick he suggested that any improvement on waste
    dough would show an immediate effect on site and Company profitability and
    also this is an issue which all production staff members can relate to
    because of its visibility and the problem it causes.

    THE PROBLEM

    Dough Waste at present is high priority within Allied Bakeries. On average
    we produce sixty tonnes of waste per week. This loss affects the Company in
    many ways, e.g. loss of sales via lost yield, loss of ingredients used to
    produce the waste dough, disposal cost to each site, and cost of direct
    labour in order to produce the waste.

    CAUSES

    Some of the causes of dough waste are due to mechanical problems, some of
    which are listed below, but inexperience of manpower is also a contributing
    factor.

    When a mix of dough ejects from the mixer it passes over a chute to the
    hoist bowl and then automatically the bowl lifts up to drop in the hopper of
    the divider. If the dough hasn't cleared the chute it leaves a trail of
    dough which falls under the hoist bowl and this then accumulates and becomes
    waste.

    Another problem which gives cause for concern is worn parts of the dividers.
    Dough is forced into pockets with a ram and then cut with a blade; if these
    dividers are worn the dough will be forced between them and will become
    waste.

    EFFECTS

    The effects are quite clear, if you talk to any member of the bread
    production team they refer to waste dough in bowls, they do not tend to
    visualise it as weight or convert it into loaves lost. For instance a mini
    car weighs around a tonne, so you could say some weeks we throw away the
    equivalent to five mini cars of dough waste.

    USING INFORMATION

    In order to truly understand the problem I asked Alan Chick Manufacturing
    Manager if he had any past data on waste dough levels at Cardiff. He showed
    me a graph that he sent weekly, displaying this year's current performance.
    The most obvious conclusion that could be seen was that there were high
    weekly fluctuations on waste dough levels. This indicates poor underlying
    controls. There were some peaks that were associated with big bang
    breakdowns but the level was still too high.

    In order to gather the ideas of my team we held two team meetings where we
    discussed the level of wastage and ways in which it could be minimised.

    The waste dough has to be weighed in order for us to convert into loaves
    lost which can then be converted into cash value, e.g. five tonnes of waste
    dough equates to 6,250 800gm loaves which equals in cash to £5,750. When it
    has been converted into cash value we can then see the immediate benefits.
    Equating the wastage to "minis" made it much easier to comprehend the size
    of the waste and this made an impression on the team members.

    The meetings generated the following options:

    1. Atomised spray guns to be fitted at mixers on each plant
    to allow dough chutes to be easily lubricated. The atomised spray would
    emit divider oil.

    The benefits of this are that it would reduce wastage going under the hoist
    bowl, because the divider oil would assist the dough going into the hoist
    bowl and not underneath.

    It would have a minimal cost in terms of materials as divider oil is
    available from a nearby source.

    The disadvantage of this is that on a manual operation, using the spray may
    be overlooked by an operative. Also the cost of each spray may be
    prohibitive.

    2. Introduce a more vigorous preventative maintenance
    schedule. The advantages are that the machinery will be less likely to fail
    as any potential problem would be addressed prior to a fault occurring.

    The major drawback would be the allocation of an engineer to work Saturday
    morning when the preventative maintenance takes place.

    3. Introduce a regular service plan for all dividers in bread
    production, so that they can be monitored for any worn parts, thus reduce
    dough discharge.

    After much discussion it was agreed that it was feasible to implement all of
    the above options as they were all valid and relatively simple to do.

    MAKING IT HAPPEN

    The intended outcome of this project is to reduce the amount of dough waste
    by identifying areas of the process that can be improved.

    The target date for completion of all three improvements is three months
    from commencement, which is scheduled for 1st July 2004.

    The implementation plan is as follows:

    1. Detailed discussion with spray installer to finalise
    costs. If these are considered to be high then the decision will be passed
    to Line Management to resolve.

    2. Draw up a regular service plan for all dividers in the
    bread production areas.

    3. To organise and agree a maintenance team for the weekly
    preventative maintenance.

    4. To agree success criteria in order to measure its benefits
    of the new activities.

    In order to ensure that the team is fully aware of what is required we will
    hold weekly team briefs during which we can discuss progress.

    RESOURCES

    Throughout the project I have been aware of the importance of controlling
    resources. The three main areas are:

    TIME - Planning time. Urgent, implementation, schedule.

    EQUIPMENT -

    LABOUR/MANPOWER -

    COST/BENEFIT

    Total cost of the proposal - £2,000.

    Estimated saving on dough wastage - 25% = £1,400 p/week

    Pay back in two weeks.

    LEADING THE TEAM

    One of the main responsibilities of a team leader is to look at what the
    team would require and possible members. There was an obvious need for
    people who deal with waste dough daily for their experience and plant
    knowledge. Engineering input was also needed for mechanical expertise and I
    felt that an outside view on the issues could perhaps highlight areas that
    may not be obvious to people who are close to the issue.

    ISSUES

    q Reduce possible manual handling accidents and claims

    q Poor underlying control

    q Lack of understanding by staff of potential gains to them and
    company

    q Reduced waste of ingredients

    q Reduce direct labour costs

    q Reduce waste dough disposal cost

    q Lost sales via yield and customer satisfaction

    q Cost of making engineering adjustments to plant

    GAINS

    q Improved working conditions for staff

    q Reduced frustration of staff and possible lost time

    q Better staff awareness

    q Using their knowledge and involvement

    q Increased yield

    q Reduced labour cost

    q Reduced waste dough disposal cost

    q Accountability of staff

    FIRST TEAM MEETING
    The first team meeting involved the chosen team members from the mentioned
    sections and also I will involve the Site Losses Co-ordinator and Technical
    Co-ordinator. I will use the current graphs that Alan Chick (Bread
    Production Manager) has to demonstrate to the team the current size of the
    problem. I felt it important to have a brain storming session where all
    views were taken into consideration and allowed the main areas of priority
    to become evident. I then had an understanding of each member's commitment
    to resolving the problems.

    The meeting in itself was not a way of allowing the whole of the staff to
    know what is happening. We need to publish this so that we can get 'buy in'
    from the rest of the staff at the end of each shift. A white board was
    installed at production end that will display how many kilograms of waste
    dough were produced on any shift and how much waste dough was cleared.
    Waste dough figures will also be declared by Alan Chick, this will be used
    to measure performance and recognise successes at weekly briefing and the
    graph displayed to show any gains or losses. We will also present to each
    shift at these briefings a presentation detailing improvements made and
    further initiatives.

    CHANGING THE MIND SET FROM DOUGH TO CASH

    By using the form which identifies areas of high dough waste and converting
    this into a cash figure we can start to instil into the staff a need for
    better control by themselves. It is always easy to blame engineering for
    failings. It will also allow us to use the cash sum as a loss to identify
    pay back for any engineering work undertaken.

    ronald.chiplin, Jun 8, 2004

  2. ronald.chiplin

    Ionizer Guest

    "ronald.chiplin" <> wrote in message

    > I have decided to do my project on waste dough.

    Why don't you try doing a project on how to differentiate between sending
    an email message and posting to an international newsgroup?

    The waste dough may be all in your head.

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jun 8, 2004

  3. ronald.chiplin

    ICee Guest

    ronald.chiplin wrote:
    > I have decided to do my project on waste dough.

    <snip the drivel>

    Good start, as you're obviously wasting dough on internet access.

    ICee, Jun 8, 2004
  4. ronald.chiplin

    EricP Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:58:46 +0100, "ronald.chiplin"
    <> wrote:

    >Allied Bakeries

    Oh dear, poor Ron :))

    EricP, Jun 8, 2004
  5. ronald.chiplin

    Dodgy Dave Guest

    Dough-nut

    Dodgy Dave, Jun 8, 2004
  6. ronald.chiplin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    EricP wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:58:46 +0100, "ronald.chiplin"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Allied Bakeries

    > Oh dear, poor Ron :))

    At least he didn't post in in HTML <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  7. ronald.chiplin

    Avenger© Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Allied Bakeries

    <the dough kneaded>

    Good one Ron, you know the saying, man cannot live on bread alone!!!!

    --
    Avenger©

    "Put the CAT out to reply"
    *I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*

    Avenger©, Jun 9, 2004
  8. ronald.chiplin

    Plato Guest

    Sell it to a dog food maker or pig farm.

    Plato, Jun 9, 2004
  9. ronald.chiplin

    PVM Guest

    "ronald.chiplin" <> wrote in message

    > Allied Bakeries
    >

    > Institute of leadership & Management
    >
    > Level 2 certificate in Team Leading
    >
    > 2004

    > Dough Waste

    A simpler solution would be to close the bakery down, and buy the finished
    product from a bakery that makes the product cheaper,
    May I suggest

    Rathbones at Newport.

    PVM
    I know this is not a subject that normally gets discussed in here, but after
    all it is called 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and I do like to help when
    possible.
    I'm not saying where I work, But I do have some inside knowledge.;-)

    ---

    PVM, Jun 9, 2004
  10. ronald.chiplin

    Chris Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > ronald.chiplin wrote:
    > > I have decided to do my project on waste dough.

    > <snip the drivel>
    >
    > Good start, as you're obviously wasting dough on internet access.

    Ha ha....!!!! My first genuine belly laugh in ages......

    Chris, Jun 10, 2004
  11. ronald.chiplin

    Avenger© Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:08:53 +0100, "PVM" <> wrote:

    >"ronald.chiplin" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Allied Bakeries
    >>

    >> Institute of leadership & Management
    >>
    >> Level 2 certificate in Team Leading
    >>
    >> 2004

    >> Dough Waste
    >>

    > A simpler solution would be to close the bakery down, and buy the finished
    >product from a bakery that makes the product cheaper,
    >May I suggest
    >
    >Rathbones at Newport.
    >

    >PVM
    >I know this is not a subject that normally gets discussed in here, but after
    >all it is called 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and I do like to help when
    >possible.
    >I'm not saying where I work, But I do have some inside knowledge.;-)
    >

    >---

    And that wouldn't happen to be some affiliation with Rathbones Bakery,
    would it ;-)

    Avenger©, Jun 10, 2004
  12. ronald.chiplin

    EricP Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:28:35 -0700, "Toolman Tim" <>
    wrote:

    >EricP wrote:
    >> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:58:46 +0100, "ronald.chiplin"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Allied Bakeries

    >> Oh dear, poor Ron :))

    >At least he didn't post in in HTML <g>