Ron Baird, someone - ofoto resolution/print size question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jersie0, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. jersie0

    jersie0 Guest

    I am going to be ordering photos from ofoto.com. With my pictures, I
    crop and resize them down to 600x400 pixels for ease of emailing, etc.

    These photos, uploaded to ofoto, are rated "NOT RECOMMENDED" for
    printing at 4x6 inches, or any size above wallet.

    I don't want to waste my money getting bad pictures, but I also don't
    want to wind up spending hours reediting several dozen photos to get
    them up to the 640x480 that ofoto recommends as a minimum for 4x6
    printing.

    What are my chances of getting good looking prints, given:

    - I've printed nice-looking 4x6s from a Kodak photo kiosk using my
    600x400 images.

    - In irfanview software, it says the pictures are 72 dpi

    - When I've printed these 600x400 pictures sized to 4x6 inches on my
    inkjet printer on photo paper, they've looked great

    Thanks.

    jersie0, Oct 13, 2004

  2. jersie0 <> writes:

    > I am going to be ordering photos from ofoto.com. With my pictures, I
    > crop and resize them down to 600x400 pixels for ease of emailing, etc.
    >
    > These photos, uploaded to ofoto, are rated "NOT RECOMMENDED" for
    > printing at 4x6 inches, or any size above wallet.
    >
    > I don't want to waste my money getting bad pictures, but I also don't
    > want to wind up spending hours reediting several dozen photos to get
    > them up to the 640x480 that ofoto recommends as a minimum for 4x6
    > printing.
    >
    > What are my chances of getting good looking prints, given:
    >
    > - I've printed nice-looking 4x6s from a Kodak photo kiosk using my
    > 600x400 images.
    >
    > - In irfanview software, it says the pictures are 72 dpi
    >
    > - When I've printed these 600x400 pictures sized to 4x6 inches on my
    > inkjet printer on photo paper, they've looked great

    It sounds to me like you've performed adequate tests as to whether
    *you* will find prints from those files satisfactory. Ofoto isn't
    using anything especially weird in their process; the two other ways
    you've printed the photos will give you a darned good idea of what
    will come back from Ofoto.

    Most people think 100dpi is *really* low resolution, *especially* for
    small prints (which tend to be examined closely); but your actual
    viewing of actual prints made at that resolution trumps my and other
    people's theories about "adequate" resolution.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 20, 2004

  3. David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > jersie0 <> writes:
    >

    >>I am going to be ordering photos from ofoto.com. With my pictures, I
    >>crop and resize them down to 600x400 pixels for ease of emailing, etc.
    >>
    >>These photos, uploaded to ofoto, are rated "NOT RECOMMENDED" for
    >>printing at 4x6 inches, or any size above wallet.
    >>
    >>I don't want to waste my money getting bad pictures, but I also don't
    >>want to wind up spending hours reediting several dozen photos to get
    >>them up to the 640x480 that ofoto recommends as a minimum for 4x6
    >>printing.
    >>
    >>What are my chances of getting good looking prints, given:
    >>
    >>- I've printed nice-looking 4x6s from a Kodak photo kiosk using my
    >>600x400 images.
    >>
    >>- In irfanview software, it says the pictures are 72 dpi
    >>
    >>- When I've printed these 600x400 pictures sized to 4x6 inches on my
    >>inkjet printer on photo paper, they've looked great

    > It sounds to me like you've performed adequate tests as to whether
    > *you* will find prints from those files satisfactory. Ofoto isn't
    > using anything especially weird in their process; the two other ways
    > you've printed the photos will give you a darned good idea of what
    > will come back from Ofoto.
    >
    > Most people think 100dpi is *really* low resolution, *especially* for
    > small prints (which tend to be examined closely); but your actual
    > viewing of actual prints made at that resolution trumps my and other
    > people's theories about "adequate" resolution.

    I just don't know what to say. Perhaps jersie0's eyesight is REALLY REALLY
    REALLY bad, or he/she has never seen a 300 dpi print.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Oct 20, 2004
  4. jersie0

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Jersie,

    Ofoto and Kodak set a file size and resolution requirement to be sure that
    you do get a good picture. If you go below this size a warning is offered.
    I would suggest that instead of cutting and cropping the files then
    uploading, that you upload the original file then edit it online at Ofoto.
    The tools are there to do this. I suspect you will get much better results.
    Give it a try and see what happens with one of your files and see if the
    results are better.

    If you need to do this, let me know if you want more help.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Oct 22, 2004