    Linux advocates need not reply.
    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Apr 12, 2007

  2. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote in
    news::

    > I tried using to the oldest Restore Point, but that is the one
    > created by XP when it was loaded and is the date from which the
    > nuisance started.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to rid myself of this nuisance ?

    Time for big sticks or finesse

    1, find and delete fine point problem.

    or
    2,
    rename program files, windows and any other folders you think are keepers.

    step 3 is re-install.
    This is a big job, you will be re-installing windows from scratch!
    Go look up how to recover from this or you wil lose data!
    Sometimes a big hammer is more cost effective than faffing about with silly
    windows errors, only to find another.
    Backup, Fdisk, re-install.
    Backup is key. I like imaging, thank goodness for big hard drives.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 12, 2007

  3. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    impossible Guest

    <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
    > XP and Power Desk
    >
    > Recently I reloaded XP over an existing install.
    >
    > Now I have the situation that when I right click on a file in the
    > file
    > list, immediately the Windows Install program starts and is
    > immediately overtaken by Scansoft PDF Professional attempting to
    > load.
    >
    > After dealing with the error message generated by Scansoft,
    > Windows installer runs and then vanishes, allowing me then to choose
    > from the expected options menu.
    >
    > I tried using to the oldest Restore Point, but that is the one
    > created by XP when it was loaded and is the date from which the
    > nuisance started.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to rid myself of this nuisance ?

    I take it you're trying to access a pdf file from within the PowerDesk
    file manager. Sounds like either/both of the Scansoft/PowerDesk
    installations are corrupted. Try uninstalling , then reinstalling,
    these apps.

    impossible, Apr 12, 2007
  4. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    bAZZ Guest

    On Apr 12, 8:27 pm, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > XP and Power Desk
    >
    > Recently I reloaded XP over an existing install.
    >
    > Now I have the situation that when I right click on a file in the file
    > list, immediately the Windows Install program starts and is
    > immediately overtaken by Scansoft PDF Professional attempting to load.
    >
    > After dealing with the error message generated by Scansoft,
    > Windows installer runs and then vanishes, allowing me then to choose
    > from the expected options menu.
    >
    > I tried using to the oldest Restore Point, but that is the one
    > created by XP when it was loaded and is the date from which the
    > nuisance started.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to rid myself of this nuisance ?
    >
    > Linux advocates need not reply.
    > Lindsay Rollo
    > Wellington, New Zealand

    Take it you have uninstalled power desk and tried reinstalling ? I had
    exactly the same problem. Right click anywhere in the left hand folder
    pane and it would start up a dialouge box for Alcohol DvD software
    telling me trial had expired. I had uninstalled Alcohol too. Still
    happened. Odd. Reinstalled it seemed to solve it. I was using version
    6pro I think.

    HTH
    Bazz

    bAZZ, Apr 13, 2007
  5. Re: Rogue File Manager Action – Solution

    Tks for advice.

    Deleting Scansoft, cleaning reg of left-overs, rebooting,
    re-installing Scansoft solved problem.
    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Apr 13, 2007