Rockwell on DSLR vs. P&S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm

    Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    article:

    "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    DSLRs at ISO 800! "

    LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"
     
    Annika1980, Oct 4, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Annika1980

    frederick Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"
    >


    No he doesn't!
    http://kenrockwell.com/tech/150-vs-5000-dollar-camera.htm

    You've got to hand it to Ken for being consistent.

    For the best advice from a true professional see:
    http://www.proshooter.homestead.com/
    I think he's the guy with numerous nicks arguing for the P&S
    lobby.
     
    frederick, Oct 4, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Annika1980

    Scott W Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"
    >


    I am not sure having Ken agree with us is a help.

    Scott
     
    Scott W, Oct 4, 2007
    #3
  4. Annika1980

    D-Mac Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"
    >


    And this from the greatest fan he has??? LOL with that lot.
     
    D-Mac, Oct 4, 2007
    #4
  5. Annika1980 wrote:
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters
    > !!!"


    I read it differently - where you have enough light for ISO 80 you may be
    able to get as good a picture with a more compact and cheaper camera.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 4, 2007
    #5
  6. Annika1980

    Mr.T Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    news:1191471362.371111@ftpsrv1...
    > > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm


    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/150-vs-5000-dollar-camera.htm
    >
    > You've got to hand it to Ken for being consistent.


    Yes, I guess he assumes no one actually reads his crap.
    I would have thought it was a fairly safe assumption, but then you go and
    prove him wrong! :)

    MrT.
     
    Mr.T, Oct 4, 2007
    #6
  7. Annika1980

    Bob Williams Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"


    Unfortunately, in this post, Rockwell does not SHOW any comparisons
    between P/S and DSLRs. "I was too lazy....." is a pitiful cop out.
    He sounds like G.W. Bush...."Trust me folks"...if I had included a P/S
    picture it would have been crappier than the DSLR pix.
    Actually, a P/S image taken at ISO 400+ WOULD look crappier than a
    similar pic taken at 400+ with a DSLR, but I suspect the difference in
    image quality between a P/S and a DSLR at ISO 80 would be minuscule.
     
    Bob Williams, Oct 4, 2007
    #7
  8. Annika1980

    frederick Guest

    frederick, Oct 4, 2007
    #8
  9. Annika1980

    Deep Reset Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"


    Is that the same Ken Rockwell who slated a Pentax DSLR without even touching
    one?

    Don't see how that helps your cause.

    Deep.
     
    Deep Reset, Oct 4, 2007
    #9
  10. Annika1980

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    You actually read that crap? Has anyone with a functioning brain ever
    suggested that a P&S is a replacement for an SLR? Or vice versa?

    Remember the key phrase here: "functioning brain."

    Do yourself a favor and stop reading shit, and keep shooting tits, bugs, and
    mutts.
     
    Kinon O'Cann, Oct 4, 2007
    #10
  11. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Oct 4, 4:35 am, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >
    > Unfortunately, in this post, Rockwell does not SHOW any comparisons
    > between P/S and DSLRs.
    >I suspect the difference in
    > image quality between a P/S and a DSLR at ISO 80 would be minuscule.



    Roger Clark has posted a good comparison pic on his site.

    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter/
     
    Annika1980, Oct 4, 2007
    #11
  12. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Oct 4, 8:03 am, "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote:
    > You actually read that crap? Has anyone with a functioning brain ever
    > suggested that a P&S is a replacement for an SLR?


    Lay off my boy, Rockwell.
    Ever since I posted my tribute pic to him and he linked to it from his
    site I get a steady stream of hits on it (30-40 per day).

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/71055999
     
    Annika1980, Oct 4, 2007
    #12
  13. Annika1980

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My buddy, Ken Rockwell, did a recent comparison of high-ISO
    > performance between DSLRs that can be found here:
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comparisons/2007-10/index.htm
    >
    > Note what he says about the Point & Shoots near the end of the
    > article:
    >
    > "I was too lazy to include a compact camera, which as I showed last
    > year, is abysmal compared to any DSLR. A typical compact camera, like
    > the Canon SD700 I use all the time, is ten times worse than any DSLR.
    > My SD700 at its lowest ISO 80 looks about the same as any of these
    > DSLRs at ISO 800! "
    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"
    >


    As it turns out most of the real advancements in camera technology are going
    on in the P&S and CameraPhone areas. Here Size Matters in camera and lens
    technology. Sure there will always be a market for large format cameras and
    sensors and they will always have an advantage just like the old 8x10 view
    camera still has an advantage over most everything else today.

    I recently bought a new Canon SX100is which is definitely at the leading
    edge of P&S technology. Its speed, sensitivity, and resolution are not
    comparable to some DSLRs or an 8x10 view camera. But, when it comes to Bang
    for the Buck and Ergonomics there is no comparison, it is the
    State-of-the-Art in photographic technology.

    NM
     
    ~~NoMad~~, Oct 4, 2007
    #13
  14. Annika1980

    Noons Guest

    On Oct 4, 2:05 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:

    >
    > LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"


    actually, that is one thing he most definitely
    does NOT say. But no one like you to invent
    another lie, isn't it?
     
    Noons, Oct 4, 2007
    #14
  15. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in message news:iE%Mi.25500

    > I read it differently - where you have enough light for ISO 80 you may be able to get as good a picture with a more compact and
    > cheaper camera.
    >
    > David


    Well, nearly as good, anyway...;-) Having shot the same detailed
    infinity-targets (a "busy" horizon line, including a bit of sky along
    the image top) with a couple of different dSLRs (including a D1X)
    and also with a Sony 707, I was surprised to find that the only
    real difference was in edge effects (the larger sensor cameras didn't
    show ringing on high contrast edges), but not in tonality or detail.
    While I like my 707, the Fuji S7000 shows much less ringing while
    also being sharp. As you say, *if* you have enough light (and can
    deal with the occasional artifact that may not appear in dSLR
    photos), and if you are not using high pixel count dSLRs to make
    VERY large prints, a top-class smaller camera may suffice...
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.donferrario.com/ruether
     
    David Ruether, Oct 4, 2007
    #15
  16. Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 4:35 am, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, in this post, Rockwell does not SHOW any comparisons
    >> between P/S and DSLRs.
    >> I suspect the difference in
    >> image quality between a P/S and a DSLR at ISO 80 would be minuscule.

    >
    >
    > Roger Clark has posted a good comparison pic on his site.
    >
    > http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter/


    No fair! You said there'd be no math, and no facts in this thread.

    --
    john mcwilliam s
     
    John McWilliams, Oct 4, 2007
    #16
  17. ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > As it turns out most of the real advancements in camera technology are going
    > on in the P&S and CameraPhone areas. Here Size Matters in camera and lens
    > technology. Sure there will always be a market for large format cameras and
    > sensors and they will always have an advantage just like the old 8x10 view
    > camera still has an advantage over most everything else today.
    >
    > I recently bought a new Canon SX100is which is definitely at the leading
    > edge of P&S technology. Its speed, sensitivity, and resolution are not
    > comparable to some DSLRs or an 8x10 view camera. But, when it comes to Bang
    > for the Buck and Ergonomics there is no comparison, it is the
    > State-of-the-Art in photographic technology.


    For you! And millions of others, as far as bang for the buck goes, and
    for technological development in P+S currently, it's tops.

    But as you point out, other formats have distinct advantages, and I'd
    add that there are always trade offs.

    It's those who want to foist their choices off on others and make
    ridiculous posts about them that get to be a waste of space.

    --
    john mcwilliams
     
    John McWilliams, Oct 4, 2007
    #17
  18. David Ruether wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:iE%Mi.25500
    >> I read it differently - where you have enough light for ISO 80 you
    >> may be able to get as good a picture with a more compact and cheaper
    >> camera. David

    >
    > Well, nearly as good, anyway...;-) Having shot the same detailed
    > infinity-targets (a "busy" horizon line, including a bit of sky along
    > the image top) with a couple of different dSLRs (including a D1X)
    > and also with a Sony 707, I was surprised to find that the only
    > real difference was in edge effects (the larger sensor cameras didn't
    > show ringing on high contrast edges), but not in tonality or detail.
    > While I like my 707, the Fuji S7000 shows much less ringing while
    > also being sharp. As you say, *if* you have enough light (and can
    > deal with the occasional artifact that may not appear in dSLR
    > photos), and if you are not using high pixel count dSLRs to make
    > VERY large prints, a top-class smaller camera may suffice...


    The benefits I find with the DSLR include faster operation, and much
    better low-light performance. I can shoot at ISO 1600 and have almost
    noise-free pictures, whereas with the compact camera I needed to stick
    with ISO 100 to keep the noise down. I also find the operation faster -
    the focus is so much quicker that taking several shots in quick succession
    is easy - getting the very moment of the action, and the ability to zoom
    by twisting a ring on the lens is again much faster than push-buttons -
    handy when photographing an air display with rapid changes in aircraft
    position. On the other hand, with the DSLR focussing is /much/ more
    critical, it's a little bigger and heavier, changing lenses takes time,
    and dust can be an issue.

    No, I don't do large prints - A4 (~10 x 8 inches) maximum, mainly display
    on the computer or HDTV screen.

    Cheers,
    David
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 4, 2007
    #18
  19. Annika1980

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    In rec.photo.digital frederick <> wrote:
    >>
    >> LOL! Even Ken Rockwell says, "Sucks to be you, Point and Shitters !!!"

    >
    > No he doesn't!
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/150-vs-5000-dollar-camera.htm
    >
    > You've got to hand it to Ken for being consistent.


    We've got to hand it to you for being ironic.

    If Ken Rockwell had used a better downsampling algorithm,
    rather than Photoshop bicubic (I'm assuming), maybe just maybe
    the DSLR image would look better than the P&S digicam image.
     
    Bill Tuthill, Oct 4, 2007
    #19
  20. Annika1980

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    In rec.photo.digital frederick <> wrote:
    >
    > For the best advice from a true professional see:
    > http://www.proshooter.homestead.com/
    > I'm sure that's from the guy with numerous nicks and
    > numerous posts in here - fighting the good fight for the P&S lobby.


    ROFL.

    Thanks for the link, which has been around since 2003,
    but I hadn't seen it. Too bad there are only 3 pages.
    Additionally, I appreciate the pointless use of Javascript.
     
    Bill Tuthill, Oct 4, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. peter walker

    anyone familiar with rockwell IP phones?

    peter walker, Jan 4, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    444
    peter walker
    Jan 4, 2004
  2. Doug Goncz

    Rockwell HCF 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem

    Doug Goncz, May 14, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    687
    Doug Goncz
    May 14, 2004
  3. peter walker
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    738
    peter walker
    Jan 4, 2004
  4. Annika1980

    Rockwell wants your Money!!!

    Annika1980, Dec 1, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    290
    Mark²
    Dec 1, 2006
  5. Annika1980

    Q. for Ken Rockwell

    Annika1980, Dec 1, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    34
    Views:
    938
    Scott W
    Dec 5, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page