    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.
    - Chuck Armstrong

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 04:36:02 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken
    >>drives and those that will break later.
    >> - Chuck Armstrong

    > Don't you mean chucktard?

    Why, don't you think this is a pretty good evaluation of the HD
    situation?

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2009

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> I weep for the future generations - if there even WILL be
    >> more than one...
    >>

    > I once read a quote
    >
    > stating something to the effect that "the kids today are
    > spoiled rotten... don't respect their elders and there is
    > no hope for future generations."
    >
    > Of course ...it was then attributed to some ancient
    > Roman... many thousands of years ago.
    >
    > I don't worry too much about rotten, stupid kids...
    > after all I once was one.

    Oh yeah, I know nothing ever changes... except "don't trust
    anyone over 30" has changed to "don't trust to anyone over
    30"... And I don't "worry" about the kids, they make me sick
    with their asses hanging out of their pants and their awful
    music. God forbid they read a damn book.

    > (now I'm just a rotten, stupid old man...no big deal)

    Ditto...

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2009
  4. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> clouded the waters of
    > pure thought with
    >
    >> I saw a kid playing "rockband" at WalMart few days ago...
    >> I was a couple of aisles away, but it sounded strangely
    >> familiar... and (in a "lousy version" way, but still)
    >> ***magnificent***...
    >>
    >> It was... "Anarchy In The U.K."!
    >>

    > How interesting can an "instrument" that has five buttons
    > for input be?
    > Unless you can create original music with it, it aint shit.

    Well that was the point... It's /not/ an instrument... I'm not
    even sure it's "software"... It is a bloody abomination! I
    remember people who were upset with RADIO. As in "AM radio"!
    What would THEY think?

    The "magnificent" referred to the fact that "Anarchy in the
    U.K." is fucking magnificent and even though I strongly suspect
    that "Never Mind The Bollocks" being rated the best album of all
    time according to a Rolling Stone poll was a fraud (I can NOT
    believe THAT many people have such good taste...), it IS a
    fucking MAGNIFICENT album, along with the "First Roxy Music
    Album", KC's "Red" and Joy Division's "Closer", Beatles'
    "Revolver" (original UK version of course, ever wonder why the
    "butcher cover" on the "best songs of two best Beatles albums
    and a few of their best singles non-album 'Yesterday... and
    Today' "?), and to make it a round 5, "Bringing It All Back
    Home" I guess... Or maybe the first Smiths album... I dunno...

    Anyway, coming back to "rockband", if it's ANY indication, we
    have seen the future and it has an IQ of 75 - and I'm being
    optimistic.

    <SNIP>

    >> I weep for the future generations - if there even WILL be
    >> more than one...
    >>

    > **** em. Each generation deals with the shit the previous
    > one leaves.

    Of course. But no other generation had the capability of doing
    so much harm, and while the human race is getting prettier all
    the time, it is also getting dumber and dumber. Not to mention
    there are WAY too many of us. Did you know that in 1900 there
    were only 1.650 billion people? /Today/ it is estimated there
    are 6.801 billion (Wiki).

    WAY too many people starving, and way too many annoying people.
    And WAY too many peoploids killing the planet. I wonder how much
    of the Amazon Rainforest is left... Lessee...

    (...)

    Actually, not QUITE as bad as I thought... Over 80% still
    there... But the deforestation rate is INCREASING!

    Too much to quote, but worth looking at...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_of_the_Amazon_Rainfor
    est

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2009
  5. thanatoid

    philo Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > philo <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> I weep for the future generations - if there even WILL be
    >>> more than one...
    >>>

    >> I once read a quote
    >>
    >> stating something to the effect that "the kids today are
    >> spoiled rotten... don't respect their elders and there is
    >> no hope for future generations."
    >>
    >> Of course ...it was then attributed to some ancient
    >> Roman... many thousands of years ago.
    >>
    >> I don't worry too much about rotten, stupid kids...
    >> after all I once was one.

    > Oh yeah, I know nothing ever changes... except "don't trust
    > anyone over 30" has changed to "don't trust to anyone over
    > 30"... And I don't "worry" about the kids, they make me sick
    > with their asses hanging out of their pants and their awful
    > music. God forbid they read a damn book.
    >
    >> (now I'm just a rotten, stupid old man...no big deal)

    > Ditto...

    Yes

    The worst year of my life may have been the year I turned 30...

    Not only did I think that I had now joined the generation of the
    un-trustworthy...I got two lengthy and quite miserable colds...one right
    after the other.

    I figured that if I felt that bad when I was thirty...
    how the hell would I even make it to 60?

    Well I am 60 now and my health is a lot better if anything.

    of course I've cleaned up my act quite a bit...
    no longer drink etc.

    With all the money I save in haircuts I can retire early.

    Now...as to those kids running around with their pants falling down...
    I thought of the perfect cartoon to send into the New Yorker.

    I just wish the hell I could talk my fiancé into drawing the cartoon
    as I have the perfect caption.

    This is a take off on the Boy Scout asking the elderly woman in she
    needs help crossing the street.

    In my version there is a kid with his pants hanging down standing
    at a busy intersection.

    There is an elderly woman standing next to him...
    with her hand placed in such a way as to make it obvious
    she's about to pull the pants up...

    then she's saying: "Young man, would you like some help crossing the
    street?"

    philo, Dec 5, 2009
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> philo <> wrote in
    >>> thanatoid wrote:

    >>> I don't worry too much about rotten, stupid kids...
    >>> after all I once was one.

    Unfortunately, I was extremely well behaved as a kid. I am
    totally impossible now. You can't take me ANYwhere. (Not that
    there's anyone around who would even think of it.)

    <SNIP>

    >>> (now I'm just a rotten, stupid old man...no big deal)

    >> Ditto...

    > Yes
    >
    > The worst year of my life may have been the year I turned
    > 30...

    Funny you should say that. I could argue that /every/ year of my
    life was the worst, but on my 30th birthday, "forget it" as they
    say. I was more depressed than usual for several months just
    because I knew that it was basically all over. And I was right.
    It's been steadily downhill ever since.

    > Not only did I think that I had now joined the generation
    > of the un-trustworthy...I got two lengthy and quite
    > miserable colds...one right after the other.

    Hmmm. Well, we appear have to a slightly different approach to
    measuring quality of life.

    > I figured that if I felt that bad when I was thirty...
    > how the hell would I even make it to 60?
    >
    > Well I am 60 now and my health is a lot better if anything.

    I never gave a crap about my health. I figure everyone gets ONE
    of something. Genius kid, love, Nobel prize, biggest fish ever,
    most HD's dead, disease, etc. I have never been in a hospital
    and the only thing I ever broke was a tiny bone in my left foot
    - it healed itself in 2 weeks. I still have my appendix. I don't
    know what exercise is. Getting out of the computer chair?

    My cholesterol was about 350 fifteen years ago, and I stopped
    taking the ONLY drug that did anything (reduced it by the
    impressive and undoubtedly life-saving amount of about 15% -
    nothing else did ANYthing, don't even mention diets.... For 3
    weeks I ate nothing but dry Swedish bread - no difference)
    because a) I don't care b) it's somewhere around $3 or $5 a day.

    And, since I am sick in my head I figure that if I /don't/ kill
    myself (and I've been talking about it since I was ten, so I
    /really/ should just shut up and do it), I /may/ live for a long
    time, not that I am going to have any fun. Unfortunately, since
    the last other member of my family (who I was taking care of)
    died, I feel a lot less suicidal. I actually /almost enjoy/
    working on the house and organizing all my crap. Unbelievable.

    > of course I've cleaned up my act quite a bit...
    > no longer drink etc.

    I didn't start drinking until I was in my early 30's and I
    consider not having started when I was 12 or 15 the biggest
    mistake of my life. (Of course, the biggest mistake of my life
    was the fact that I was born, but I couldn't help that.)

    I never drank much - about 5-8 drinks is my absolute limit, and
    now I only drink when there are chicks around (which means
    almost never), and I can go for months or years without a drink.

    Some of my fondest memories involve puking from open car doors
    on the highway (at 60 mph, no seat belt - back seat), while
    standing in the street outside a lap dance club, in a Denny's
    toilet after a gig, etc. I have not had much fun in life.

    > With all the money I save in haircuts I can retire early.

    I have cut my own hair since I was about 15. I hate barbers -
    all that vile-smelling crap they insist on putting on your head,
    the itching, the idiotic conversations, the bad magazines, etc.
    I DID have ONE haircut, a $40 one in 1991 or so. It looked
    almost exactly like what I have been and continue doing, so I
    never went again.

    If it makes you feel better, baldness is related to higher
    testosterone levels, so you have probably been MUCH more
    motivated and successful with women, not to mention you actually
    HAVE a woman, while I only vaguely remember some things which
    did not happen very often, and NEVER when I was young enough so
    that it would have been REAL fun. The fact male equipment
    functions best in your teens is proof that god either does not
    exist or is sadistic evil invapornate.

    <SNIP>

    > then she's saying: "Young man, would you like some help
    > crossing the street?"

    <laughs out loud>

    Getting into the New Yorker would be a nice achievement indeed.
    I haven't seen a copy in years, but I hope it is still at last
    half as good as it used to be.

    --
    Deep in the night
    Flying very strange cargo

    Gliding so far
    That the eye can not follow
    Where do they go
    We'll never know...

    (B.F.)

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2009
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> clouded the waters of
    > pure thought with

    <SNIP>

    >> Well that was the point... It's /not/ an instrument... I'm
    >> not even sure it's "software"... It is a bloody
    >> abomination! I remember people who were upset with RADIO.
    >> As in "AM radio"! What would THEY think?
    >>

    > Who bloody cares?
    >:)

    I do. I wish I lived when to hear music you had to dress up and
    go to an opera house.
    Now you carry around 30,000 songs on your fucking iPod and music
    is *DEAD*, AFAIK.

    I DID use a Sony FM-10 Walkman (the one that was the size of a
    cassette box and the first one with little round earbud
    earphones) for about 5 hrs/day through most of the 80's (yes, it
    lasted THAT long, Sony still made good stuff then) but I only
    carried one cassette with me so I could only listen to about 90
    minutes, over and over. I can't even begin to imagine trying to
    choose something from 30,000 songs.

    > I think the "guitar" is aka a "controller" much like a
    > joystick or any other "human interface controller". Its a
    > feckin over grown mouse in the shape of a guitar.
    > Is bollix is wot.

    Shit, or shite as you guys put it.

    >> The "magnificent" referred to the fact that "Anarchy in
    >> the U.K." is fucking magnificent

    <SNIP>

    > The whole thing?
    > EMI
    > EMI
    > Gooooooood BYE I AND M....
    > Heh, cmon, some of the songs on it were lame.
    > 4 solid tunes on it, tops.

    Sorry, all of it is great. Every single song. And PiL were
    fantastic too, for the first 5 or so albums. Ever heard the
    Lydon solo album, "Psycho's Path"? GREAT stuff. And that was WAY
    after everyone forgot who McLaren was.

    <SNIP>

    > That said, the experiment were some students made "music"
    > on their macbooks wasnt very succesful...from what I saw.
    > Computer based music has been around long time, roundeyes,
    > you go check out NERDCORE, now! Me have web-aquaintance
    > Jason Christie aka "Gortician" who makey fun music with
    > computer.

    The guy who got me through the nineties, Momus, put out about a
    dozen brilliant albums recorded in a studio on real instruments
    and then started doing everything on his Mac laptop. He's still
    a genius, but no longer a listenable genius.

    <SNIP>

    >> Of course. But no other generation had the capability of
    >> doing so much harm,

    > You talkin bout The Bomb, Willis?

    Many things.

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2009
  8. thanatoid

    Me Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid <> clouded the waters of
    >> pure thought with

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> Well that was the point... It's /not/ an instrument... I'm
    >>> not even sure it's "software"... It is a bloody
    >>> abomination! I remember people who were upset with RADIO.
    >>> As in "AM radio"! What would THEY think?
    >>>

    >> Who bloody cares?
    >>:)

    > I do. I wish I lived when to hear music you had to dress up and
    > go to an opera house.
    > Now you carry around 30,000 songs on your fucking iPod and music
    > is *DEAD*, AFAIK.
    >
    > I DID use a Sony FM-10 Walkman (the one that was the size of a
    > cassette box and the first one with little round earbud
    > earphones) for about 5 hrs/day through most of the 80's (yes, it
    > lasted THAT long, Sony still made good stuff then) but I only
    > carried one cassette with me so I could only listen to about 90
    > minutes, over and over. I can't even begin to imagine trying to
    > choose something from 30,000 songs.
    >
    >> I think the "guitar" is aka a "controller" much like a
    >> joystick or any other "human interface controller". Its a
    >> feckin over grown mouse in the shape of a guitar.
    >> Is bollix is wot.

    > Shit, or shite as you guys put it.
    >
    >>> The "magnificent" referred to the fact that "Anarchy in
    >>> the U.K." is fucking magnificent

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> The whole thing?
    >> EMI
    >> EMI
    >> Gooooooood BYE I AND M....
    >> Heh, cmon, some of the songs on it were lame.
    >> 4 solid tunes on it, tops.

    > Sorry, all of it is great. Every single song. And PiL were
    > fantastic too, for the first 5 or so albums. Ever heard the
    > Lydon solo album, "Psycho's Path"? GREAT stuff. And that was WAY
    > after everyone forgot who McLaren was.

    Definitely up there at the top along with Damned Damned Damned

    Me, Dec 9, 2009