Roaming profile problem??

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Tez, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Tez

    Tez Guest

    I set up roaming profiles on my server (Win2k3 Enterprise edition). I also
    set the group policy to redirect My Documents folder to a location on the
    server. Everything seems to work OK. However, when I log on (on a client
    running WinXP Svce pck 1) as a user and delete something from My Documents,
    log off and log back on the items have been put back in My Documents!!?? In
    other words I cannot delete anything. I can add OK but not delete???

    I know what you're thinking, permissions right? Well I thought that, it
    sounds like I have the ntuser.dat set to ntuser.man but no, it's .dat I
    double checked. I also have the permissions set as below.

    Details:
    I shared a folder on \\server01\profiles gave full permission share and full
    permission ntfs. I have roaming profiles

    When I look at effective permissions it says that the user I am logged on as
    has full permission including delete.

    HELP!!!! It's driving me crazy.
     
    Tez, Apr 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tez

    manageyou Guest

    First thing you should do is update your XP to SP2. did you check your policy
    for my documents? remember you changed it to save on the server.

    "Tez" wrote:

    > I set up roaming profiles on my server (Win2k3 Enterprise edition). I also
    > set the group policy to redirect My Documents folder to a location on the
    > server. Everything seems to work OK. However, when I log on (on a client
    > running WinXP Svce pck 1) as a user and delete something from My Documents,
    > log off and log back on the items have been put back in My Documents!!?? In
    > other words I cannot delete anything. I can add OK but not delete???
    >
    > I know what you're thinking, permissions right? Well I thought that, it
    > sounds like I have the ntuser.dat set to ntuser.man but no, it's .dat I
    > double checked. I also have the permissions set as below.
    >
    > Details:
    > I shared a folder on \\server01\profiles gave full permission share and full
    > permission ntfs. I have roaming profiles
    >
    > When I look at effective permissions it says that the user I am logged on as
    > has full permission including delete.
    >
    > HELP!!!! It's driving me crazy.
     
    manageyou, Apr 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tez

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= <> prattled ceaslessly in
    news::

    > I set up roaming profiles on my server (Win2k3 Enterprise edition). I
    > also set the group policy to redirect My Documents folder to a
    > location on the server. Everything seems to work OK. However, when I
    > log on (on a client running WinXP Svce pck 1) as a user and delete
    > something from My Documents, log off and log back on the items have
    > been put back in My Documents!!?? In other words I cannot delete
    > anything. I can add OK but not delete???
    >
    > I know what you're thinking, permissions right? Well I thought that,
    > it sounds like I have the ntuser.dat set to ntuser.man but no, it's
    > .dat I double checked. I also have the permissions set as below.
    >
    > Details:
    > I shared a folder on \\server01\profiles gave full permission share
    > and full permission ntfs. I have roaming profiles
    >
    > When I look at effective permissions it says that the user I am logged
    > on as has full permission including delete.
    >
    > HELP!!!! It's driving me crazy.


    Where did you redirect My Documents? From your description you keep
    looking at the profiles folder on the server for permissions issues but
    you should have redirected My Documents to yet another location.

    Also, have you been playing with offline files? If the profile isn't
    mandatory, maybe you have some files that are setup in a group policy
    that are required and that's what keeps putting them back?

    Are you getting any error messages when you delete the files? If not,
    it's probably not a permissions problem.

    Are you working with a virtual machine? Sometimes that causes some
    strangeness. And don't worry about the craziness. That's just normal.
    If you're not going crazy, you're not learning.



    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet
    BS, MCP, MCSA
    MCNGP #43
    www.mcngp.com
    faq.mcngp.com
    "If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain
     
    catwalker63, Apr 11, 2005
    #3
  4. Tez

    Tez Guest

    Thanks for replying, I already fixed it last night. I did move the My
    Documents to another location. That seemed to sort it out. I figured it would
    be easier to move it to the roaming profile location but know I see that was
    a mistake. Thanks guys!

    "catwalker63" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= <> prattled ceaslessly in
    > news::
    >
    > > I set up roaming profiles on my server (Win2k3 Enterprise edition). I
    > > also set the group policy to redirect My Documents folder to a
    > > location on the server. Everything seems to work OK. However, when I
    > > log on (on a client running WinXP Svce pck 1) as a user and delete
    > > something from My Documents, log off and log back on the items have
    > > been put back in My Documents!!?? In other words I cannot delete
    > > anything. I can add OK but not delete???
    > >
    > > I know what you're thinking, permissions right? Well I thought that,
    > > it sounds like I have the ntuser.dat set to ntuser.man but no, it's
    > > .dat I double checked. I also have the permissions set as below.
    > >
    > > Details:
    > > I shared a folder on \\server01\profiles gave full permission share
    > > and full permission ntfs. I have roaming profiles
    > >
    > > When I look at effective permissions it says that the user I am logged
    > > on as has full permission including delete.
    > >
    > > HELP!!!! It's driving me crazy.

    >
    > Where did you redirect My Documents? From your description you keep
    > looking at the profiles folder on the server for permissions issues but
    > you should have redirected My Documents to yet another location.
    >
    > Also, have you been playing with offline files? If the profile isn't
    > mandatory, maybe you have some files that are setup in a group policy
    > that are required and that's what keeps putting them back?
    >
    > Are you getting any error messages when you delete the files? If not,
    > it's probably not a permissions problem.
    >
    > Are you working with a virtual machine? Sometimes that causes some
    > strangeness. And don't worry about the craziness. That's just normal.
    > If you're not going crazy, you're not learning.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Catwalker
    > aka Pu$$y Feet
    > BS, MCP, MCSA
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    > faq.mcngp.com
    > "If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    > deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain
    >
     
    Tez, Apr 11, 2005
    #4
  5. Tez

    Tez Guest

    I just noticed the garbage at the top of your reply. Is that some sort of
    online, geeky/egghead joke that I missed thinking this was a genuine give
    help/get help sort of place? "Prattled ceaslessly in
    news::"

    Get a life.

    "Tez" wrote:

    > Thanks for replying, I already fixed it last night. I did move the My
    > Documents to another location. That seemed to sort it out. I figured it would
    > be easier to move it to the roaming profile location but know I see that was
    > a mistake. Thanks guys!
    >
    > "catwalker63" wrote:
    >
    > > =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= <> prattled ceaslessly in
    > > news::
    > >
    > > > I set up roaming profiles on my server (Win2k3 Enterprise edition). I
    > > > also set the group policy to redirect My Documents folder to a
    > > > location on the server. Everything seems to work OK. However, when I
    > > > log on (on a client running WinXP Svce pck 1) as a user and delete
    > > > something from My Documents, log off and log back on the items have
    > > > been put back in My Documents!!?? In other words I cannot delete
    > > > anything. I can add OK but not delete???
    > > >
    > > > I know what you're thinking, permissions right? Well I thought that,
    > > > it sounds like I have the ntuser.dat set to ntuser.man but no, it's
    > > > .dat I double checked. I also have the permissions set as below.
    > > >
    > > > Details:
    > > > I shared a folder on \\server01\profiles gave full permission share
    > > > and full permission ntfs. I have roaming profiles
    > > >
    > > > When I look at effective permissions it says that the user I am logged
    > > > on as has full permission including delete.
    > > >
    > > > HELP!!!! It's driving me crazy.

    > >
    > > Where did you redirect My Documents? From your description you keep
    > > looking at the profiles folder on the server for permissions issues but
    > > you should have redirected My Documents to yet another location.
    > >
    > > Also, have you been playing with offline files? If the profile isn't
    > > mandatory, maybe you have some files that are setup in a group policy
    > > that are required and that's what keeps putting them back?
    > >
    > > Are you getting any error messages when you delete the files? If not,
    > > it's probably not a permissions problem.
    > >
    > > Are you working with a virtual machine? Sometimes that causes some
    > > strangeness. And don't worry about the craziness. That's just normal.
    > > If you're not going crazy, you're not learning.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Catwalker
    > > aka Pu$$y Feet
    > > BS, MCP, MCSA
    > > MCNGP #43
    > > www.mcngp.com
    > > faq.mcngp.com
    > > "If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    > > deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain
    > >
     
    Tez, Apr 11, 2005
    #5
  6. Tez

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= climbed on a
    soapbox & opined:

    > I just noticed the garbage at the top of your reply. Is that some sort
    > of online, geeky/egghead joke that I missed thinking this was a
    > genuine give help/get help sort of place? "Prattled ceaslessly in
    > news::"
    >
    > Get a life.


    What the fsck is wrong with you? Have you never posted to usenet before?

    *checks headers*

    Oh, sorry, you don't know what usenet is, do you? Fscking web interface.

    And what is this *life* of which you speak?

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    Click on MCNGP.com and learn the meaning of life, the universe, and
    everything!
     
    JaR, Apr 11, 2005
    #6
  7. Tez

    Tez Guest

    I don't make a habit of writing in these things, no. I have been submitting
    to the Mac website which I think this site has been modeled on for a few
    years and I have never seen people talking to each other in been spoken to in
    such a disrespectful manner. Their site is for people who share similar
    interests/problems/comments etc. and everybody gets together to talk about
    it, regardless of the level of any user. And everybody treats each other with
    respect, something that some of the users on here don’t do.

    I must compliment you on your clever use of the English language in the way
    you cleverly rearranged letters so as to appear to be swearing without
    actually doing it, that’s very clever, you must be very proud of that.

    I can see that it was a mistake posting here. I thought with it being a
    Microsoft website it would be monitored by mature adults but seems that is
    not the case. So I will leave it to you and your clever use of English…

    "JaR" wrote:

    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= climbed on a
    > soapbox & opined:
    >
    > > I just noticed the garbage at the top of your reply. Is that some sort
    > > of online, geeky/egghead joke that I missed thinking this was a
    > > genuine give help/get help sort of place? "Prattled ceaslessly in
    > > news::"
    > >
    > > Get a life.

    >
    > What the fsck is wrong with you? Have you never posted to usenet before?
    >
    > *checks headers*
    >
    > Oh, sorry, you don't know what usenet is, do you? Fscking web interface.
    >
    > And what is this *life* of which you speak?
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > Thug 10110
    > Click on MCNGP.com and learn the meaning of life, the universe, and
    > everything!
    >
     
    Tez, Apr 11, 2005
    #7
  8. Tez

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= climbed on a
    soapbox & opined:

    >
    > I can see that it was a mistake posting here.


    Yes, you made a mistake alright.

    > I thought with it being
    > a Microsoft website it


    <nitpick> You are not posting on a Microsoft website. You are posting to
    a Microsoft usenet server through a Microsoft web portal. </nitpick>

    > would be monitored by mature adults but seems
    > that is not the case.


    Most mature adults don't make asses of themselves on usenet, but
    obviously, YMMV.

    > So I will leave it to you and your clever use of
    > Englishƒ Ý


    When you grow a skin, do come back! In the meantime, don't let port80
    slam you in the butt on the way out.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    Click on MCNGP.com for a world wide web experience!
     
    JaR, Apr 11, 2005
    #8
  9. Tez

    Tez Guest

    THanks for making me laugh, I don't think I've met a real geek before
    complete with all you rlittle geek jokes, it's so funny that you think all
    that stuff is cool. I bet you try and use that stuff on girls right, oh I
    just thought, you probably still throw stones at them! Take it easy there
    cool dude....

    "don't let port80 slam you in the butt on the way out." Wow that's some cool
    insults you have there!!! ha ha ha


    "JaR" wrote:

    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= climbed on a
    > soapbox & opined:
    >
    > >
    > > I can see that it was a mistake posting here.

    >
    > Yes, you made a mistake alright.
    >
    > > I thought with it being
    > > a Microsoft website it

    >
    > <nitpick> You are not posting on a Microsoft website. You are posting to
    > a Microsoft usenet server through a Microsoft web portal. </nitpick>
    >
    > > would be monitored by mature adults but seems
    > > that is not the case.

    >
    > Most mature adults don't make asses of themselves on usenet, but
    > obviously, YMMV.
    >
    > > So I will leave it to you and your clever use of
    > > EnglishÆ’ Ã

    >
    > When you grow a skin, do come back! In the meantime, don't let port80
    > slam you in the butt on the way out.
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > Thug 10110
    > Click on MCNGP.com for a world wide web experience!
    >
     
    Tez, Apr 11, 2005
    #9
  10. Tez

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= climbed on a
    soapbox & opined:

    > THanks for making me laugh, I don't think I've met a real geek before
    > complete with all you rlittle geek jokes, it's so funny that you think
    > all that stuff is cool. I bet you try and use that stuff on girls
    > right, oh I just thought, you probably still throw stones at them!
    > Take it easy there cool dude....


    Oooohhh, lookit stupid trying to come off all, like, mature and stuff.
    Are you keeping some kind of score in this little game? I thought you
    were gone, never to return with all that righteous indignation at the
    juvenile horseplay in this here chatrum. No, I have no need to impress
    the ladies, my shiney lapel pins are enough of a chick magnet.

    >
    > "don't let port80 slam you in the butt on the way out." Wow that's
    > some cool insults you have there!!! ha ha ha


    So pleased you liked my little bit of fun. Tell me, are you always this
    big of a loser, or are you just haveing a bad day? Did you understand
    the port80 reference in my comment? I doubt it, but I have been wrong
    before.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    Click on MCNGP.com and taunt a noob!
     
    JaR, Apr 11, 2005
    #10
  11. Tez

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?VGV6?= <> prattled ceaslessly in
    news::

    > I just noticed the garbage at the top of your reply. Is that some sort
    > of online, geeky/egghead joke that I missed thinking this was a
    > genuine give help/get help sort of place? "Prattled ceaslessly in
    > news::"
    >
    > Get a life.
    >



    It's called a newsreader and it has gained enough acceptance to have left
    the geeky/egghead world and entered the mainstream. I'm surprised you
    haven't heard of them. I am a geek, no question, but it isn't the insult
    it once was. The "garbage" to which you refer is automatically added
    when I reply to a post. It was not directed at you specifically. It is
    just a little silliness. And this is genuine usenet -- it can be helpful
    but it isn't for the faint of heart.

    If you wish to appear cool, or at the very least, intelligent, you need
    to be able to do a little research and know something of what you are
    speaking before sounding off. The above post makes you appear to be a
    thin skinned, childish, idiot and I'm sure that was not your goal.

    I have a nice life, thank you, I don't need another. You might consider
    growing up, though.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet
    BS, MCP, MCSA
    MCNGP #43
    www.mcngp.com
    faq.mcngp.com
    "If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain
     
    catwalker63, Apr 12, 2005
    #11
  12. JaR wrote:

    > So pleased you liked my little bit of fun. Tell me, are you always

    this
    > big of a loser, or are you just haveing a bad day? Did you

    understand
    > the port80 reference in my comment? I doubt it, but I have been wrong


    > before.


    Didn't he say he was posting to a Mac website? That says loads right
    there.

    (Love Panther though and Tiger looks to be cool as fookin' hell.)
     
    blastingfonda, Apr 13, 2005
    #12
  13. Tez

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, blastingfonda climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:

    >
    > Didn't he say he was posting to a Mac website? That says loads right
    > there.


    I know. Do you suppose he meant that the web portal was based on the Mac
    website, or that Usenet was?

    LOL

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    Click on MCNGP.com where inbreeding is not allowed!
     
    JaR, Apr 13, 2005
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?VGVqYXMgQmhhdHQ=?=

    Roaming profile

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVqYXMgQmhhdHQ=?=, Nov 19, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    503
    =?Utf-8?B?VGVqYXMgQmhhdHQ=?=
    Nov 19, 2004
  2. Karen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    541
    Karen
    Feb 17, 2005
  3. SteveF

    roaming profile question

    SteveF, Aug 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    439
    Andy Kelly
    Aug 20, 2004
  4. SteveF

    Re: roaming profile question

    SteveF, Aug 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    412
    Andy Kelly
    Aug 21, 2004
  5. Stef

    Roaming profile problem

    Stef, Jul 1, 2007, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    520
    catwalker63
    Jul 1, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page