    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    http://www.nrkn.com/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Nik Coughin, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Nik Coughin wrote:
    > I have a friend coming over from the US who wants to know if there are any
    > wireless Internet solutions that will let her roam around NZ -- I'm thinking
    > that this limits it to Vodafone and Telecom, and they both charge through
    > the nose for data over their cell networks, don't they?

    thats about it yeah... heh, or dialup?

    > Who has the best coverage outside of those two, and how much does it
    > encompass? Are there any satellite services or anything like that?

    There used to be satellite, but I think they dropped out of the market.
    AFAIK, there is no-one offering this sort of thing.
    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005

  3. On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:49:37 +1300, Nik Coughin wrote:

    > I have a friend coming over from the US who wants to know if there are any
    > wireless Internet solutions that will let her roam around NZ -- I'm thinking
    > that this limits it to Vodafone and Telecom, and they both charge through
    > the nose for data over their cell networks, don't they?
    >
    > Who has the best coverage outside of those two, and how much does it
    > encompass? Are there any satellite services or anything like that?
    >
    > TIA!

    er.. wap + netstumbler + wep cracker? :p

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 28, 2005
  4. Nik Coughin

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:03:07 +1300, "Shane (aka froggy)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:49:37 +1300, Nik Coughin wrote:
    >
    >> I have a friend coming over from the US who wants to know if there are any
    >> wireless Internet solutions that will let her roam around NZ -- I'm thinking
    >> that this limits it to Vodafone and Telecom, and they both charge through
    >> the nose for data over their cell networks, don't they?
    >>
    >> Who has the best coverage outside of those two, and how much does it
    >> encompass? Are there any satellite services or anything like that?
    >>
    >> TIA!

    >er.. wap + netstumbler + wep cracker? :p

    LOL! As a question, does anyone know a good WEP cracker for MS? I've
    got a few tools (like Kismet and Airsnort) that run in Linux but
    nothing for XP. Basically, I need an app that can put the wifi NIC
    into promiscuous mode and sniff some data. This is for checking my own
    wifi security of course......

    --
    BOINC SETI
    DoggNZ, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Nik Coughin

    steve Guest

    Dave - dave.net.nz wrote:

    > There used to be satellite, but I think they dropped out of the market.
    > AFAIK, there is no-one offering this sort of thing.

    For satellite, you'd need a small dish and a lot of patience......or a
    satellite phone and LOADS of money.
    steve, Mar 1, 2005